SR850 Initial Impressions
Jan 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lifebot

Head-Fier
After reading numerous reviews, it was obvious for me that Superlux HD668B's or the Samson SR850's would be the best bang for buck under $60 USD.

I decided to purchase the Samson SR850, as I read that it's more comfortable than the 668B, and was about $10 cheaper.

My initial impression is that they are very sibilant out of box. Highs sounds like metals clashing, and it's honestly unbearable.

My source is a Fiio E7 hooked up to my iPhone 4 through LOD / PC

The lows are punchy, extends deep and the mid's are quite transparent. It's the highs that I cannot bear with.

If anyone knows how to reduce the sibilance of these headphones, it would be much appreciated as all other frequencies seem to sound decent.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 3
When I first got mine, I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the highs. Couldn't turn my music all the way up, had to EQ down the highs, etc. However after having them for a few months I've really gotten used to it. I think burn in helped some, but mostly my ears just got used to it. Now, I don't really have any issues listening at high volume, and my EQ for them atm is basically flat(Also they sound damn great!). I'd suggest just not giving up on them yet, maybe playing with the EQ some more(not sure what kind of EQ you got), and hope for the best!

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Yes I am using my Winamp EQ to reduce the treble, and it sounds amazing.

However, its not a system-wide EQ so it doesn't work when I am on YouTube for example.

I hope it gets better with burn-in, as I find the highs way too harsh to enjoy any tracks without EQing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back