Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Simple.

unfortunately, nothing is ever simple on headfi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
The Raptors have a lot more power and warmth compared to the Hornet. I herd both at the FT. Worth meet with all sort of headphones. The SA5k's love the warm tub amps and the 600/650 do too.

-Alex-

Warmth? If you mean physically then yes I'd say the Raptor is warm, and while I haven't heard the Hornet, the Raptor can be a little bright.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
if the hornet really sounds as close to the Raptor as many have reported, will we see a glut of Raptors for sale as people embrace the smaller, less scalding portable without worrying about the perception of reduced sound quality? i know that several members of Head-fi embraced the SR-71 as home amps, so it is a possibility. if the Hornet does sound like early reports suggest it will, the idea of the SR-71, and even other, higher end amps, going down in price on the used market isn't that farfetched.

I read your post with great interest. When you mean less scalding portable? If you mean in reference to Raptors operational temperature? I wish you would be more to the point as being a noob I have trouble reading through veiled and sarcastic posts.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #19 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I read your post with great interest. When you mean less scalding portable? If you mean in reference to Raptors operational temperature? I wish you would be more to the point as being a noob I have trouble reading through veiled and sarcastic posts.

i apologize if my seasoned audiphile talk has confused you, my good newb. i was merely stating that the hornet, with its battery powered design, should be somewhat less incendiary than a toaster oven.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 124
Just a few thoughts... I haven't visisted Headfi since the weather became warmer. Never heard of the Hornet, but it's funny they keep naming these things after planes...

I love my SR-71 (use it with the SR-225 and got flats a month ago. Just beautiful...), and I will not be exploring portable headphone amps in a while. In fact, I'm happy with my simple set-up. I'm free off headphone audio angst for now. :)

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 124
This is exactly what happened when the SR-71 first got introduced.

1) There was a lot of hype of the little SR-71 (black bird) being the sonic equal of the XP-7, HR-2.
2) The SR-71 was declared the ultimate headphone amp, combing power, authority, with portability.
3) People flooded to the SR-71 in droves.

Now the Hornet.

I see exactly the same pattern happening all over again.

1) Hype?
2) Marketing?
3) Hype and marketing induced mass hysteria?

I lean towards 3) as the best overall explanation.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 124
Quote:

i apologize if my seasoned audiphile talk has confused you, my good newb. i was merely stating that the hornet, with its battery powered design, should be somewhat less incendiary than a toaster oven.

Meatstick, if you wanna say the Raptor operates hot then why not say it instead of dancing with it colourful sarcasm?

If you are of that opinion then state it. Then i will either agree or disagree with you.

I have not heard the hornet so I cannot compare how it fares against the Raptor or any other RSA product.

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #27 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Meatstick, if you wanna say the Raptor operates hot then why not say it instead of dancing with it colourful sarcasm?

If you are of that opinion then state it. Then i will either agree or disagree with you.

I have not heard the hornet so I cannot compare how it fares against the Raptor or any other RSA product.

well then, based on reports, it seems to run hot.

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #28 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Haha they found it in the marketing book right next to the electronics book their designs came from
biggrin.gif

OMG, almost fell off my chair!
biggrin.gif

BTW, isn't there a shorthand for that expression? LMAO, or something like that?

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 124
Quote:

well then, based on reports, it seems to run hot.

i swear the raptor's volume knob acts as a heat sink because that puppy needed oven mitts to operate lol! all joking aside it does run a bit hot.

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #30 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i swear the raptor's volume knob acts as a heat sink because that puppy needed oven mitts to operate lol! all joking aside it does run a bit hot.

No pain, no gain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back