sr60s with an ipod?
Mar 11, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
I have never really used "good" headphones before, and i am wondering how grado sr60s sound from an ipod's line-out jack. I currently use bose triport in-ear headphones, and i don't really like them.
I have no intention of ever buying an amp btw

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should work out great. You may also want to consider the PX-100 and KSC-35, both of which are also equally excellent portable phones.

Cheers!

Just from browsing around, the px-100's don't look like they are built as sturdily as the sr60s, are they any more likely to break/be damaged?

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 16
The PX-100 are indeed slightly smaller than Grados. Build quality-wise, they are about the same (I'd actually rate the PX-100 slightly higher). Both have quite different sound signatures and it's best if you can audition them side-by-side. I personally prefer the PX-100 sound over the SR-80 I used to own, but I know a large number of people prefer it the other way 'round. Only you can determine yourself what you prefer.

Cheers!
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX-100 are indeed slightly smaller than Grados. Build quality-wise, they are about the same (I'd actually rate the PX-100 slightly higher). Both have quite different sound signatures and it's best if you can audition them side-by-side. I personally prefer the PX-100 sound over the SR-80 I used to own, but I know a large number of people prefer it the other way 'round. Only you can determine yourself what you prefer.

Cheers!
wink.gif

Thanks a lot, just one question:
Are the px-100s and the pmx-100s the same except for the neckband?

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 16
Sr60s are quite nice with ipods. You'll have much less bass than from your triports though. Although I like the bass of the sr60s more than any other grado (simply because of the pads). Should be good for you.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

have never really used "good" headphones before, and i am wondering how grado sr60s sound from an ipod's line-out jack

How are you planning to use the ipod line-out without an amp?

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAstrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you planning to use the ipod line-out without an amp?

That was going to be my question - if you use the line out functionality without an amp, you'll definitely hear less hiss, but lose any volume control... and the line out with SR60s is LOUD - about 75-80% volume.

The SR60 through the headphone jack sounds great though. No need for an amp whatsoever.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 16
I have PX-100 and I think they are very durable. I'm very hard on headphones, I seem to catch the cord on everything possible. I've had mine for about a year and they've been yanked off of my head 3 or 4 times. They still sound great. They only problem I have with them is that if I'm moving around alot they tend to start sliding off my ears. I've been looking at the PMX-100's for that reason. I'd also like to know if they're the same as the PX-100's except the head band.

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are all grados actually hand-made?

I'm sure there are some automated processes involved in their making, such as the housing, cabling, etc. Grado wouldn't be able to make much money if everything was manually manufactured (high manufacturing cost, particularly labour). I know they test/listen to newly manufactured cans by human ears though.

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 16
The PMX100s sound identical to the PX100s - I have both, and only the head/neck band is altered as far as I can hear. They are both very well built and durable - at least the equal of the Grados I would say.

I would not call the Grados a portable solution for iPod use - cord is too thick and long, and the headphones themselves are just too large and ugly for wandering around the streets. Around town the Senns beat them hands down for discrete portability, and their sound is not so aggressive and bright (also not so detailed however). I had the SR60s for a while, and they sound very good out of an iPod, but using them around town was not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back