SR60i + Rockboxed Clip+ Headphone amp?
Oct 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DockEllis

New Head-Fier
Now that both of my iPods are dead (or too low capacity for my growing library) I want to put together a budget portable setup.  My plan so far is to grab a Clip+, Rockbox it, and add a 32gb SDHC.  I really like the warmth and clarity that I get from my SR60is and I've heard great things about the Clip+, so I was wondering if I would benefit from a headphone amp.  What are some strong sub $100 recommendations?  I was looking at the JDS Labs CmoyBB, but I probably won't use the Bass Boost at all because I like the bass quality from my SR60is.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Now that both of my iPods are dead (or too low capacity for my growing library) I want to put together a budget portable setup.  My plan so far is to grab a Clip+, Rockbox it, and add a 32gb SDHC.  I really like the warmth and clarity that I get from my SR60is and I've heard great things about the Clip+, so I was wondering if I would benefit from a headphone amp.  What are some strong sub $100 recommendations?  I was looking at the JDS Labs CmoyBB, but I probably won't use the Bass Boost at all because I like the bass quality from my SR60is.

No need really, as far as just sound......the Clip+ w/Rockbox does have enough power for them. However, the headphone jack can be fragile, and with the big old plug on the Grado cable, you're just asking for premature failure. The big cable alone on the SR60i's was enough for me to always leave mine home and not use them for portable listening.

If you really do want an amp, I've got the FiiO E6 and E11, and the both work well. The E6 is a better match size-wise to the Clip, but the E11 would probably hold up better with the big Grado plug.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Now that you've brought it to my attention, I may get an amp just to avoid abusing the poor little Clip+, unless it's an easy repair.  However, I've heard that the E6 and E11 can be a little muddy

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Now that you've brought it to my attention, I may get an amp just to avoid abusing the poor little Clip+, unless it's an easy repair.  However, I've heard that the E6 and E11 can be a little muddy

The E6 is not muddy at all.... if you don't use it's EQ settings I think it is completely transparent. And the E11 I don't think is muddy either...some people think so because it ever-so-slightly bumps the bass on flat settings. But having used it with the SR60i's, I can safely say it works just fine and it is a good pairing.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I'll definitely keep the Fiios under consideration then.  I've seen the Hippo Cri Cri suggested in lieu of the E11 once or twice, but I wouldn't even know where to find one.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 8
When I first got my Clip Zip two weeks ago, I used it with the Fiio E6 and Sony MDR-V6 headphones.
But I stopped using the Fiio E6 as it really did not make a difference I could notice.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
When I first got my Clip Zip two weeks ago, I used it with the Fiio E6 and Sony MDR-V6 headphones.
But I stopped using the Fiio E6 as it really did not make a difference I could notice.

I don't know what the cable is like on the V6, but try to avoid over-stressing the headphone jack on the Zip. 
And the E6 really does not change the sound from the Sansa, if you leave its EQ off......it just gives you more headroom if you need more power.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 8
Headphone output into another amp can only sound worse, you are adding an unneccessary stage to the chain where the sound will degrade,
save your money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back