sr60 vs sr80
Feb 24, 2008 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
so ive decided I want a pair of grados. these will be used primairly for gaming and music listening on my pc, they also may serve some duty with a portable mp3 player and my home stereo. the will probably always be used without a headphone amp. which one would you think wuld be better for those tasks?? ive heard that the sr80 benifit from being amped and the 60s also, but the 60 are good without one, but ive also heard that the sr60 and sr80 are basically the same aside from the pads so how could the 80 benifit more from being amped. I havent tried either out as I cant even find anyone who stocks them in my area, but im thinking I may want the bowl pads, I also may want to do the sock mod on them as I would probally like them to go arould my ears instead of sit on top of them, but that I will have to figure out after I get them?? what do you all think??

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 33
Well, the SR60 is regarded as one of the best 'bang for the buck' headphones available. I have a pair, in addition to a 325i and still listen to them. You can't really go wrong for the price. As you go up the Grado chain, you will get incremental returns in refinement but nothing like the initial kick you will get from hearing the SR60 for the first time.

The question is, if you get an SR60 will you be able to resist the urge to up-Grado? I couldn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree about changing the pads. I absolutely hated the 'comfies'. Made my ears too hot, so I switched to bowls after using them with the 325i.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 33
I own the SR80 and have listened to the SR60 before. Both headphones are very similar but the SR80 has better bass and it seemed a little bit brighter to me. I have to note that on the SR80 I was using bowl pads and the SR60 was using reverse hd414 pads.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by thische /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the SR80 and have listened to the SR60 before. Both headphones are very similar but the SR80 has better bass and it seemed a little bit brighter to me. I have to note that on the SR80 I was using bowl pads and the SR60 was using reverse hd414 pads.

I felt that SR80's bass seems little artificial - much like using bass boost function on mp3 players- lacking in texture and detail. SR60 on the other hand, has lean bass - which is fine to my taste, but not to all.
I recommend SR225s, great improvement over SR 80 and SR 60, which can be often had for 150$ used

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 33
I tried both the SR60 and SR80 and in my opinion didn't notice a difference amped or unamped. I would recommend the SR60 because for the price it was worth it and works great directly connected to my sources without an amp.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

I would recommend the SR60 because for the price it was worth it and works great directly connected to my sources without an amp.

thats kinda what I was thinking, but then again if they have the same driver wouldnt they both work great without an amp??

also would the sr60s sound different than the sr80 if they both had the bowl pads on them?? heres the deal, I think eventually ill get the bowl pads for the 60s if I get them, if I were to do that then I would probably have about as much into then as if I got the 80s, so if the sounds going to be the same why not get the 80s I would think, but if they do in fact sound different I may want to get the 60s.

Quote:

I recommend SR225s, great improvement over SR 80 and SR 60, which can be often had for 150$ used

id love the get a pair of those, but unfortunately at this time I cant justify spending that much on a pair of headphones, maybe down the road, but not now. im trying to keep the budget below 100 dollars.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 33
Save yourself the troubles and get yourself a SR-225, after a few days (maybe weeks but not much longer), you'll upgrade anyway because you'll love the Grados so much. Just skip straight to the SR-225, best bang/buck headphones.

SR60 vs SR80, quite a difference, mostly in the pads to me. The cable in the SR80 is a little better and it comes with bows vs soft pads which gives nicer detail and a lot less of the muddy bass.

Stretch your budget a little and just grab the SR225, you won't regret it, and you'll thank us later. Of course it's up to you, if you want to curse us later for not forcing you to take them earlier, you'll have them soon enough.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 33
I compared the SR-60, SR-80, and SR-225 and preferred the SR-60. The SR-80 and SR-225 were too bright to my ears. I've been told that with different pads that would go away, but the SR-60's were great out of the box. They have plenty of detail, work well with my iPod, and are fun to listen to.

Bryan

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save yourself the troubles and get yourself a SR-225, after a few days (maybe weeks but not much longer), you'll upgrade anyway because you'll love the Grados so much. Just skip straight to the SR-225, best bang/buck headphones.

I agree. If you can afford it, go straight to the SR-225. All my friends who had the intention of buying the budget Grado headphones end up leaving the retail store empty handed. They decide to save their money and get something better down the line. They are not bad headphones, but its one of those headphones that gives people an epiphany about audio quality - an irresistible itch to spend more money or upgrade.

If you had to choose between SR60 or SR80, I go for the SR80. I think the SR80 has a fuller sound.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You preferred the SR-60 over the SR-225?

Yep. Who knows what a change in pads would have done, but I thought the 225's were too bright and fatiguing.

Bryan

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 33
I also prefer SR60 to 80, and 225. The bowl pads are horrible for gaming. They make bass sound like a knife. Bowl pads change the sound of music way to much. They try to make things sparkle, and its annoying. SR60 is way more natural. SR60 bass is so .. much better. Which is defintely due to the comfies. Go for sr60, no doubt about it.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 33
now youre all putting terrible ideas into my head. im still not sure I want to pony up the extra dough right now, but who knows. anyway I did a bit more research and it seems that theres a consensus out there that grados arent the greatest for gaming. ive seen people say that there positioning isnt the best for gaming purposes. ive also heard that there great for gaming. whats the deal with this??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back