SR60 or ATH-ES7??
Jul 1, 2008 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

coolchu001

100+ Head-Fier
I have my SR60 for a week now, thoroughly burned in with around 30hrs of pink noise...I love the sound and all, but the looks can get to me sometimes :p.
Anyhow, it seems like the ATH-ES7 are pretty good headphones and look pretty sleek.

So how do these two compare in SQ and comfort?

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my SR60 for a week now, thoroughly burned in with around 30hrs of pink noise...I love the sound and all, but the looks can get to me sometimes :p.
Anyhow, it seems like the ATH-ES7 are pretty good headphones and look pretty sleek.

So how do these two compare in SQ and comfort?

They are not even in the same price range are they? The ES7 is more of an SR80 and a little bit overpriced as all Audio technicas are.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't mind the pricing difference. But how is the SQ between the two?

Never heard the ES7, I have heard the Denon d1000 and the SR125, I think the Denons are much better. The SR125 can be a little more clearer, but the Denon is very immersive because it has a lot ambience and "air" around the voices. The Grados sound kind of "techno" to me.

You should give the D1000 a thought.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 12
How can you say it's overpriced if you haven't heard it?

The ES7 is very good for what it has to offer. It isn't very comfortable unless you bend the headband, apparently, but I've never owned one. They aren't worth the $180 or whatever on audiocubes, but the $115 on Amazon is a bargain.

I haven't given Grados a proper listen, so I'm really considering getting an SR60. I've wanted to listen to a Grado for quite a while. I'm not sure the ES7 would be a huge leap in SQ, but it's closed, and I'm sure there will be some improvement. Just take what I say with some caution, of the headphones I've listened to, AT continues to be my favorite, so I'm not unbiased.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you say it's overpriced if you haven't heard it?

The ES7 is very good for what it has to offer. It isn't very comfortable unless you bend the headband, apparently, but I've never owned one. They aren't worth the $180 or whatever on audiocubes, but the $115 on Amazon is a bargain.

I haven't given Grados a proper listen, so I'm really considering getting an SR60. I've wanted to listen to a Grado for quite a while. I'm not sure the ES7 would be a huge leap in SQ, but it's closed, and I'm sure there will be some improvement. Just take what I say with some caution, of the headphones I've listened to, AT continues to be my favorite, so I'm not unbiased.

I meant the MSRP, not amazon price.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 12
oh well yes, but I don't know of any that actually go for the MSRP. I think they do that to make it look like a bargain no matter what you pay. Probably not a very good practice, but it's not the most underhanded thing either.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

oh well yes, but I don't know of any that actually go for the MSRP. I think they do that to make it look like a bargain no matter what you pay. Probably not a very good practice, but it's not the most underhanded thing either.

I think the reason that there are so many fake audio technicas is because they see the MSRP is really really high.

I'm also interested in the audio technicas.
I haven't heard the Audio technicas, and no store around me has them. I have heard the Denon D1000, and thought them to be good. But one problem I have with them is that their sounds seem a bit weak and unprecise, and they are kind of "dark". I like a warmer, clearer, and a brighter sound. Do you think that the ES7 or A700 or AD700 will suit me?

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 12
The only fakes that I'm aware of being a problem are the ES7, but I think that's mostly confined to ebay.

Ah, it's been a while, so I don't know if I'll be entirely accurate, but they're brighter than the ESW9 if I recall, and rather clear and lively. There are some people that think the ES7 sounds unnatural, but at least as many, if not more, rabid fans. I don't currently have access to an ES7 to really go into detail, I just remember some of the things I like about them. I've never heard either of the 700's.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

The only fakes that I'm aware of being a problem are the ES7, but I think that's mostly confined to ebay.

Ah, it's been a while, so I don't know if I'll be entirely accurate, but they're brighter than the ESW9 if I recall, and rather clear and lively. There are some people that think the ES7 sounds unnatural, but at least as many, if not more, rabid fans. I don't currently have access to an ES7 to really go into detail, I just remember some of the things I like about them. I've never heard either of the 700's.

Have you heard the Denon D1000 to compare it?

For the "unnaturalness", is it like the Grados? Because I don't like how the Grados sound.

Is it "airy" though? Is it immersive?

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Now that I looked at them, only the ES7 is overpriced. The AD700 is at 190 dollars US, the ES7 is at 285US!

They make it look nice (if only by Asian aesthetic standards), and price them at really high. A magnet for fakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back