sr60 or ahd1001?
Mar 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

exmachina

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm looking for a portable headphone and my budget is pointing me towards either an sr60 or a denon ahd 1001. Haven't really tried them out though.

I mostly listen to jazz, r&b, and classicals; I love the sound of dynaudios and scanspeaks drivers. I'm after sound quality first, comfort and isolation second. And will they play well with the fiio amp?

Other headphones and amps recos are welcome. Thanks for the help guys.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 29
D1001, amp not required. And now, the news in full:

I've not owned SR-60, but I've auditioned iGrado and SR-80. Also, I currently own MS-1. My brief impressions of iGrado and SR-80 were good. They were lively and fun, and I considered buying the iGrados. However, I ended up with D1001s which are bassier and have a wider soundstage than either these headphones. I also own an MS-1, and I don't think they're better than D1001 either. At least not for your genre of music. Maybe with more burn-in on these MS-1s...

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 29
I own both, and my D1001 gets MUCH more playing time than the SR60's, which is actually pretty neglected right now. The SR60 is great in its own right, but I feel that D1001 is a better all rounder, good for every genre (Grados ain't the best with Hip Hop, for example). SR60's I actually find is TOO sparkly and forward for my tastes, making the music not seem as natural to my ears, but this may vary pending on personal taste. D1001 is also hell of a lot more comfortable too.

So yeah, definitely D1001s for me.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 29
I recomend you try both. SR60 have more neutral and real sound, more speed, it is ticket to hifi-world without words, on the other side they are sensitive so it is harsh in many songs, it is Grado. If you like heavy bass you will like D1001, they are fun, more deep, more pleasent, more slow, sometimes muddy, no harsh, useful for everything games, movie.....
They are very different!

Good luck

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 29
hi k19 and knopi.

Yup I've been hearing some "too forward" and "too harsh" comments on the grado's; which are, of course, quite subjective. I remember my utopia tweets before and found them too lively for my tastes.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 29
You posted this in the portable sub-forum, so I would assume that's what you'd be looking to use these for.

As far as the Grado, you do know that they are open right? Meaning that they will provide no isolation in addition to leaking noise. This could bother those around you. Also, turning up the volume to make up for the lack of isolation will surely damage your hearing in the long term.

This is not a knock on the sound, just wanted to make sure you know before buying. Good luck with your purchase.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 29
I wouldn't get SR60s for classical. They're much too direct with not enough soundstage. I haven't heard the denons, but imho there are better cans for classical than sr60/80.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't get SR60s for classical. They're much too direct with not enough soundstage. I haven't heard the denons, but imho there are better cans for classical than sr60/80.

Reco some, dude? I'm just moving into headphone sq category and any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 29
I'd go for the D1001.
I had the SR60 and the SR80.. they can't touch the D1001 in terms of comfort, fun, soundstage and bass quantity.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 29
Just get them both and return the one you don't like. Everyone's ear is different. I personally like the grados. But I have 4 pair, so I'm kinda partial to the grado sound.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 29
I had the SR60's for years and loved them. I haven't tried the Denons, but I can tell you SR-60's are about the worst thing you could pick for a portable headphone. They block no sound at all.

I was a huge Grado fan, but they kept sounding harsh from time to time. I guess I'm sensitive to the high end. All I can speak for in terms of in-ears are Etymotics and the Soundmagic PL-30's. I'd heartily recommend either.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 29
If you want portable and closed within that price range I would suggest iems. There are a lot of threads about closed phones in that price range. Use the search function. I don't think any of them provide a better solution than a similarly priced iem. Lots of threads for those, too.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back