SR325i pain!!! Please help
Apr 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dazhead

New Head-Fier
I love the sound of my 325s but cannot bear the pain of wearing them. My ears are on fire after 5 mins and in pain after 10. I've seen a few people have used the 414 yellow pads which are cheap on amazon but amazon (uk version) also states that they don't fit these headphones.

Please help, the last thing I want to do is sell them but I find I'm listening to lesser headphones for the comfort.

Thanks

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 19
How long have you owned them for? I originally found my 225's uncomfortable in a similar way and then they either seem to break in or you get used to it. I don't have any issues anymore.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 19
have you owned grado phones before?
i've heard that if you wash the pads with conditioner it softens them and makes it more a comfortable expeience, but i don't know about making your ears hot.. maybe they press too hard against them? (but then.. grado?)
have you tried, perhaps, stretching the headband a bit so that they make less contact with your ears?

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 19
Don't worry, it won't damage them or anything. They will just become a bit softer. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 19
Make sure you remove them from the headphones before washing
wink.gif

Quote:
These are my first grados. Washing the pads with fabric conditioner??? Sounds a bit risky. Lol..

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Wash them, rinse and let dry.  Never helped with my Grado pads very much.

The Sennheiser 414 pads do fit.  I preferred them in a reverse quarter mod, but that is an irreversible modification to the pads.  They are cheap enough to get a couple of sets though. 

If heat is the issue, you might want to look up the sock mod for Grado's.  It won't permanently hurt your current pads.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 19
You could also bend the headband for softer grip if you want.  Do it carefully.  The headphone may fall off of your head more easily as a result, however.
My bowl pads have become too soft for me after three years of frequent use, lol.
Time for new ones.  =\

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 19
I had the same problem with my 225i's... a little burning on my outer ears (helix) after 5 minutes, and then pain after 15-20 minutes. I stopped wearing them and researched all the solutions.

The 414 (reversed quarter mod) helped with the discomfort (no more pain at all), at an affordable cost. But I still didn't like the overall feel of these pads.
I eventually ended up buying a used pair of Headphile C-pads from the for sale forum, which are Beyerdynamic over-ear velour pads fitted onto the Grado's.
http://www.headphile.com/page5.html >>C-pads are at the bottom of the page.
They are very expensive, but I got an older version of them used at a decent price.

They do change the sound a bit, but I never cared to A-B them to the stock or 414 pads. My philosophy is that if I enjoy the sound, I am going to stick with it (without analyzing the crap out of how they should sound, or what they add/lack). Coupled with the addition of the Beyer DT770 headband and bending the headband according to the Headphile website suggestions, they fit extremely well; amazing comfort, great sound... overall I like these allot and I now use my Grado's without hesitation.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 19
I love my MS2i with comfy pads, I could wear them all day.

-bend headband so no pressure on ears
-comfy pads
-black manta headband

After the first few days (before the mods) my opinion was 'why does something that sounds this good have to be so damn uncomfy', haha.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 19
Ok. So the conditioner didn't work. Made them a touch softer but no more comfortable and my ears are still overheating. Going to try the 414 pads and in they don't work think I may just have to sell them. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back