SR325i or MS2i???
May 1, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 43
As previous owner of all Alessandro and all production Grado cans...go with MS2i. For one thing it sounds more balanced and it keeps it's resale value longer than 325i.

May 1, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 43
while i haven't heard the ms2i, i have owned the 325i for a month now.

I really love the way it sounds, it might just be me, but I do not think they are overly bright.

I think the problem with the 325i's is that people call them overly bright without even hearing them and the word just gets passed around.

This could also be my ears/setup (ipod, zu cable, millet hybrid) that makes me think the cans don't sound overly bright.

Oh well, i'm sure regardless of which one you choose you will be be very happy

May 1, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a Sennheiser fanboy, and even I don't think the 325i is too bright
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
It's treble is just right for metal and hard rock, so I say keep with Grado!

just to get a perspective from a senn fan on the 325is brightness... Is it as bright as the later model dt990s???

May 1, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 43
Forgot about this old thread...
In hindsight, I wish I had gone with the MS2i or simply stuck with my 225. After about 3 weeks, the treble on the 325i became almost unbearable to me. During that time, I changed my source, so that might have had something to do with it. I was also using a Dynalo amp (aka Gilmore Lite) which again, didn't add any warmth to the Grados. At low volume levels, it was fine, however, if I wanted to crank it a bit....OUCH!
eek.gif
On top of that, the bowl pads started to hurt my ears themselves after about an hour of having them on. I developed rashes where the bowls pressed against my ears. I thought they would go away, but they never did. In the end, I was at the point where I did not look forward to listening to the Grados...I almost dreaded it.

This, of course, is all my opinion and experience with the 325i...ymmv.
wink.gif

May 1, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 225s have bowls too, why is that an issue for the 325i? the ms2i have bowls too

Weight.

May 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 225s have bowls too, why is that an issue for the 325i? the ms2i have bowls too

I think the bowls and the weight of the 325i caused it. I don't recall the 225 doing that.

Yes, the MS2i probably would have done the same thing, but my point was that because of the harsh trebles (again, this is to MY ears) AND the ear rashes, I dreaded listening to the 325i.

Again, this is my opinion only based on my experience. I don't want to start a flame war....

May 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the bowls and the weight of the 325i caused it. I don't recall the 225 doing that.

Yes, the MS2i probably would have done the same thing, but my point was that because of the harsh trebles (again, this is to MY ears) AND the ear rashes, I dreaded listening to the 325i.

Again, this is my opinion only based on my experience. I don't want to start a flame war....

Try bending the headband outwards so the bowls wont squeeze your ears, just rest on them.

May 1, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange phone the 325i, love it or leave it. Too bright, or just right.
wink.gif

or force them into being just right by modding all beauty out of them (open back etc.)
wink.gif

May 1, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 43
I have been looking at the whole SR325i versus MS2i for about a month now, and every thread I read just confuses me more and more. Unfortunately I am unable to audition anything before I buy as there is no places near me. I love my SR60's and want the sound they have but just better in all aspects. The MS2i really does appeal to me because I can get it for about $100 Canadian cheaper than the 325i. However I am afraid that the sound will be too tame for me, but then from what I have read about the 325i I gather that it has some very harsh treble which many find uncomfortable. The music that will be played through these cans will be mainly 90's punk, indie, alternative, hard rock and thrash/speed/death metal. Basically all guitar/bass/drum driven music with male vocals. I plan on some dt770's for my trance/house music interests. Will the MS2i be too tame for for my musical tastes?

May 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 43
Ask people who found 325i having too much treble if problem is solved with flat pad, it work Perfect for RS-1, i wonder if it work for 325i too
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However I am afraid that the sound will be too tame for me, but then from what I have read about the 325i I gather that it has some very harsh treble which many find uncomfortable. The music that will be played through these cans will be mainly 90's punk, indie, alternative, hard rock and thrash/speed/death metal. Basically all guitar/bass/drum driven music with male vocals. I plan on some dt770's for my trance/house music interests. Will the MS2i be too tame for for my musical tastes?

May 1, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #29 of 43
I just got the 325i a few days ago and I don't find the treble to be unbearable. But then we all hear differently and maybe my ears aren't as good anymore.

However, I would ask you keep in mind that the 325i are the heaviest headphones in Grado's lineup and thus I've found for me at least to be somewhat uncomfortable. I have no problems with my other Grado's.

I am conisdering returning them only because of the comfort factor. They sound really good though. I asked a collegue at work to try them out and he also like them a lot and did not complain about the treble. I think this is one of those issues for which you simple won't know the answer to until you listen to them for yourself.

May 1, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 43
I might be able to take a trip up to Toronto in a month or so where I can go to bay bloor radio and demo Grado's, I am also afraid to order another pair of Grado's off the internet. The SR60's i got about 1 1/2 months ago have defects in the plastic part that attaches the driver to the band, on both the left sides of the cup holder where the pin goes. I can handle this for a pair of cans that cost me about $140 Canadian, however if I am to purchase the SR325i's it will be costing me about $450, and I cannot accept buying blind before I can see them in person to look for defects. A damn shame how much the Sr325i's are here though
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back