SR225 vs. HD600
Jan 30, 2005 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

justanotheruser

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering better hardware than before...CI DAC and amp...which of these headphones is my best bet? I want something good for commercial pop/rock/electronica and DVDs. I know the Grados are supposed to have really deep bass and strong highs...sounds like my kinda thing, but I'm wondering if maybe the HD600s sound better overall with the proper source and amp. Still thinking about MS-2s or 650s, but guessing that I might find these a little too toned down based on the reviews, could be wrong though. Anyway, which of these should sound fuller?

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
HD650's bass should go lower than SR225's (never heard SR225, but have RS1). Grados are more about mid bass impact.

The HD650s do go lower than the SR225s, in my experience, but I find the bass impact of the SR225s more interesting...

One millisecond it's there, and then it's gone! *GASP*

I'd try them both out (MS-2 and HD650). That's the only way you'll find out for sure...

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
One millisecond it's there, and then it's gone! *GASP*

That's my kind of bass too. But speaking from a former bass player(both acoustic and electric) they aren't that fast in real life. In reality the right bass is muddy and bloated lol

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 20
I was somewhat under the impression that 225s perform great unamped and with cheaper sources but improve less with better amps/sources, while the HDs underperform with cheap amps/sources but shine with better quality stuff. Is it wrong to make the assumption that the 225s aren't worthy of this setup?

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 20
bumpidy bump

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 20
Not sure, but i think bumping your own thread in anything but the 'for sale' forums is kind of bad taste. That said, I don't agree with your last comment. Just because the SR 225's don't require amplification doesn't mean that they don't benefit from it. I have the 225's and 580's, and with my headsave classic I think the 225's are more ... interesting... perhaps, than the 580's. Bass has more impact (as has been said), Guitars are more in your face. In general they are for different kinds of music. I don't use my 580's for Metallica, and I don't use my 225's for Rachmaninov (though now that I think of it that might be worth a try). I would say if your considering the HD 650, pick up some 580's and some 225's. That will run you about the same price used as a single set of 650's. You can listen to them both for a couple months, and then sell one if your happy, or sell both and upgrade to an RS1, or HD 650.

Mark

PS To clarify above, I listened to my 580's unamped for 3 months, and although there was a large improvement with the amp, I would say the improvement to the 225's was just as big.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
I'm considering better hardware than before...CI DAC and amp...which of these headphones is my best bet? I want something good for commercial pop/rock/electronica and DVDs. I know the Grados are supposed to have really deep bass and strong highs...sounds like my kinda thing, but I'm wondering if maybe the HD600s sound better overall with the proper source and amp. Still thinking about MS-2s or 650s, but guessing that I might find these a little too toned down based on the reviews, could be wrong though. Anyway, which of these should sound fuller?

Now here's the news
smily_headphones1.gif
... HD650 is wonderful, but it's all about refinement and
"I'm being true to the recording"...
For your purpose, you might prefer something a little inferior but more adrenalinic like the MS-2 has to be.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
Not sure, but i think bumping your own thread in anything but the 'for sale' forums is kind of bad taste.

bumping is fine, though these particular bumps were a bit close together. personally, i prefer the 225 to the 600 if a good amp isn't present, but i prefer the 600 if a good amp is present. the 225 should be pretty decent unamped, but it will really shine from a good amp.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 20
just more food for thought, i think that the Sony CD3000's have all the strengths of both the Grado and the Senn house sounds with few of the negatives. actually, in many ways the CD3000's do all of it better than the Grados or Senns. the 3000's are amazing, though they are a bit more expensive than either the 225's or the 650's.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks. That's helpful. As for bumping the thread being bad taste, you're right and I won't do it again. Worked, though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Thanks. That's helpful. As for bumping the thread being bad taste, you're right and I won't do it again. Worked, though.
biggrin.gif

bumping is fine, you just want to space them out a bit. i try not to bump a thread more than once in 8 hours time.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 20
Does anybody know Alessandro's return policy? I was thinking about just springing for the MS-2, which sounds promising. I doubt I'll make any more progress without trying something and I'm obviously bothering the he** out of some of the members of this forum.

If that's settled, a few last things...any suggestions for interconnects? Will any digital cable do, or are they affect the sound like regular cables? As soon as I get this figured out I'll whip out the plastic...

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Does anybody know Alessandro's return policy? I was thinking about just springing for the MS-2, which sounds promising. I doubt I'll make any more progress without trying something and I'm obviously bothering the he** out of some of the members of this forum.

If that's settled, a few last things...any suggestions for interconnects? Will any digital cable do, or are they affect the sound like regular cables? As soon as I get this figured out I'll whip out the plastic...

Return policy?. HHAAAAA. You cant even find those guys on the phone and you are asking about return policy. QUAAAAQUA QUA.....

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
HD650's bass should go lower than SR225's...Grados are more about mid bass impact.

Is that to be interpreted that you can feel the air pressure against your ears to a greater extent with the 650s than the 225s. Or put differently, with which of the two, will your inner ear "feel the bass" to a greater extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back