SR225 vs HD595 vs HFI780 Unamped?
Apr 26, 2009 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
Made a thread here not too long ago. Didn't quite get the responses I was hoping for so I tried coming up with some more specific choices for this one. I've decided to try and keep things at around $200, although if anyone suggests anything significantly better my budget could double to the $400 it was originally.

My genres in descending order are:

Melodic Death Metal
Progressive Metal/Rock
Classical
JPop

with some other stuff in there for sure but those are the main ones. Source is going to either be my computer with a Creative Sound Blaster live, Cowon D2, or 30Gig Ipod Video. I doubt I will ever be amping it, at least no time soon. Not worried about leaking sounds since I will primarily use my IEMS for on the go.

I'm not sure which I'd like. I've heard the SR225's are supposed to be really good for metal but I'm worried I mind find them fatiguing, lacking in soundstage and just too involving for me. I also listen to some vocalists who I'm worried could sound really bad.

The HD595's seem like they might offer the smoothness and soundstage I'd be looking for from open cans although a lot of people seem to say Grado's would be better for metal. I like a full sound and I definitely prefer the sound of my IE8's to my PFE's (IE8's like 595s and PFE's like 225s?)

I have read a bit on the Ultrasone HFI-780's as well and they seem like they might have the bass I'd like and good details as well but I haven't tried them before and I also know these are closed so may be lacking in soundstage compared to the 595's. Ultrasone seems to be pretty polarizing as well, but I guess you could say that about most companies.

Just looking for any insight which might help me come to a decision. It looks like they'll all run me about the same price, $200 so cost isn't an issue with these 3.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Maybe the best overall choice would be the HFI's.They're in fact descently detailed while having nice kicking bass.For soundstage , the "S-logic" thing certainly help for a close cans.Its not something to get crazy about but actually noticable. Even if i didn't hear HD595, i have read quite a bit about those compare to HD555,witch i heard considerably, and i'd say music may sound anemic with HD595 compare to HFI's. Maybe more comfortable with greater soundstage but lot less forward and MAESTRO !! .
It depend what's the most importent for you.Comfort & soundstage,Best SQ for metal/rock or an overall of all those.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 9
I used to own the SR225, and currently own the HFI780. Pure sound quality wise, I would choose the SR225 in a heartbeat. However, for practical portable used, I would take the HFI780.

I ended up keeping the HFI780, and got a SR325i. So happy
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 9
I've owned both the Grados and the Senns. Big difference between them.

I started with the Grados alone with a straight CD source. Like sitting on the stage. The presence was huge. Too huge.

So I bought a tube amp, and that tamed it out - like moving back a few rows and getting some sound stage. Also took care of transformer hum, and other stuff.

My Senns are much more tame. They don't feature that Grado "bubble" of frequency response in the upper register, which makes for a more natural - but sometimes less exciting - listening experience.

Another factor: the Senns are more comfortable and since they fit around your ear, you are better isolated.

I've been happy with both cans.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 9
I never thought that the vocalist was "too" close. In fact, I kind of liked listening to acoustic music with the Grados (with the tube amp). Only headphones that I've ever had that would make your eyelashes jump when listening to a harpsichord.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm worried the Grado's might be a bit much for me with some of my vocalists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back