SR225 Questions :D
Dec 7, 2006 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

mtd

100+ Head-Fier
So last night I got my SR60s, and they're definetly growing on me. I am increasingly impressed. I get paid tonight, and I was thinking maybe the HI-FI shop will let me return the SR60s, get 225s and pay the difference. Let me just clarify a few things here first:

1) Will they be as loud on my mp3 player as the sr60? I know they have the same impedence .. is that the only factor?

2) Worth the 3x pricetag?

3) They have the same basic earcup (not pad), is this correct? If I don't like the stock bowl, I could just get the 414 pads which are similar to these "comfies" (which im liking).

Again, these will be used as my "warehouse" headphones. Which these 60s are doing great at so far.

Thanks again, friends
rs1smile.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 46
1. Yes. Grados are more efficient than many earbuds.
blink.gif
Though amplifier certainly improves SOUNDQUALITY, loudness is definetly NOT a problem.

2. Yes, though it really depends on persons taste and how much he is willing to hurt his wallet. Difference is there, but is it enough for YOU? Cant you compare them side by side in the shop?

3. Yes, every Grado headphone use same casing except metal and wooden ones. But same pads are used in those aswell.

*edit* TYPO fix

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes. Grados are more efficient than many earbuds.
blink.gif
Though amplifier certainly improves it, loudness is definetly a problem.

I don't understand. The sr60s are plenty loud on my mp3. Your 2 sentences are contradictive!
rs1smile.gif

.. I appreciate your other answers anyhow.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 46
I meant sound quality. Soundquality is better with external amplifier, especially one which sound signature matches Grados own sound, but portable player can go really loud, loud enough to shatter your ears. Do you think that cheap, small budget chip inside MP3 player driven by single (or double) small battery can give sound quality and details that SR225 is capable of playing?

Amplifier is more than just gain enhancer you know.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 46
I think it was a typo, they should be driven pretty well from an DAP, but an amp would help because amps usually do.

And I'm not quite sure I understand your terminology for question 3. If you're referring to the back part that says Grado and SR60 and things like that, it's identical to the SR225. If you're talking about the pads that touch your ears, the SR60's have "comfies" whereas the SR225 comes with "bowls." Usually people say that bowls have slightly better soundstage, I've heard people mention an increase in bass, but they're supposedly less comfortable. Another thing you can do with them is reverse them. You take them off and put them on backwards. Some people prefer them like that.

Edit: MaZa already clarified his post.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 46
Right on
580smile.gif

Theres no chance that the 225 will sound worse than the 60 coming straight from an mp3 player?

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 46
Thanks MaZa! Are they slightly less shrilly? Tad deeper, and expensive sounding? :p

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 46
I can't wait for my 325is to arrive! I'll let everyone know what my impressions of them are: more importantly if they're that much better then the SR60. Grado folks say that the 325i is more shrill then the 225...so I'll let you know if it bleeds my ears mtd
biggrin.gif
Do hear plenty of praise for it being very detailed....so should be a good companion to my new HD650!!!!

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 46
It largely depends on pads used. SR225 is least shrill of plastic Grados (Or so i remember. Not counting in Alessandro line!), but different pads play a HUGE role in this. SR225 comes with bowl pads see.
Bowls have more airy, brighter sound and tight bass, where flats have boomier bass and softened highs. However, SR60 comes with comfy pads and i havent compared comfys vs. flats and bowls side by side. If you can listen them side by side in the shop, pop the bowls from SR225 (with the permission of shopkeeper that is) and put them on SR60, (or put comfies on SR225) so they are putted in same level. Differences of each headphone are easier notice without pad difference molesting the sound.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 46
I don't have my SR60's anymore to compare, but since my SR225's sound better than my MS1's then I'm certain they are in fact better. The thing is, some people tend to exaggerate the differences between the Grado models. Yes, they are better, but only in the sense that they are smoother and everything sounds more polished in comparison. Definitely no revelation here I'll tell you that. In fact, running out of a DAP you will probably be disappointed at first. After a week or so you will probably only start to hear any important differences in the two and then, only then, you might find them worth keeping.

Since I remember reading about how you were initially disappointed with your SR60's I'm a bit unsure how you would like the SR225's. It's your choice though, for all I know you might like them a lot better

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 46
I hate to say it, but burn in might have softened the highs of my sr60s a bit .. and i'll be the first one to bash the burn in beleivers
cool.gif

I can't be that disapointed .. 150$ difference isnt that bad for me .. and it's my secondary headphone anyway.

Hopefully they'll let me exchange. If they don't .. it's gonna be hard to convince myself not to just buy them. Which would hit the leather way too hard
mad.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 46
SR225 is absolutely worth the upgrade... BUT!

If you are using these as warehouse cans exclusively, I don't think you are going to hear enough of a difference to really feel justified in your purchase.

Basically, the SR225 improves upon all of the qualities of the SR60:

- Tighter, fuller bass
- Nicer, smoother midrange
- Smooth highs - there is actually more treble extension, but the detail is less shrill

Be warned that the SR225 also benefits TREMENDOUSLY from an amp. SR60s amp well too, but the difference is not so significant.

Long story short: Yes, in my opinion, the SR225 is worth every penny above the cost of the SR60, 80 and 125. If, however, you are only going to use them unamped and in a warehouse setting, you might as well save your money. The pricetag is all in the finer details and, while you will no doubt notice SOME improvement, the real value comes from a quiet environment where the intricacies can be heard.

[EDIT] With regard to the pads, I think you may have been asking if all Grado models and their subsequent pads are interchangeable? If so, the answer is yes. All Grados (with the exception of the iGrado) will accept bowls, flats, comfies, HD414s and duck sponges!

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say it, but burn in might have softened the highs of my sr60s a bit .. and i'll be the first one to bash the burn in beleivers
cool.gif

I can't be that disapointed .. 150$ difference isnt that bad for me .. and it's my secondary headphone anyway.

Hopefully they'll let me exchange. If they don't .. it's gonna be hard to convince myself not to just buy them. Which would hit the leather way too hard
mad.gif

I know that once you have an urge for something it's eventually going to be in your hands anyway. I say just get 'em and see what happens from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back