SR225 -> HD600 -> ? Need Headphone Recommendations
Mar 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently (about a month ago) got a pair of Sennheiser HD600's to compare to my old SR-225i's.  I listen to mostly rock.  My source is a Macbook Air playing apple lossless files out of iTunes into a Headamp Pico DAC then using a HeadRoom Total Airhead for my amp. 

I found the HD600's sound (and comfort!) to be vastly superior to the SR225i's.  However the HD600's are definitely lacking in "impact."  Is this a product of their more laid-back nature or am I not using a high enough quality amp to bring out their best?

Am I better off upgrading amps or looking to a new set of headphones?  What headphones would you recommend?  I'm only looking for open phones and comfort is a must - I listen at work for 8+ hours per day.  My budget is around $500 for a new pair of headphones or a new amp - whichever would give the most bang for the buck.    

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 5
In my experience I have not heard the HD600. There are no stereo shops here where I could listen to them. I do have a pair of 225i though.

I listen to them on a desktop amp powered by a regulated 18 volt power supply. With older, crappier headphone, I can hit them with power and bass to make the drivers flutter. That's equivalent to heart fibrilation.

At any rate, this amp makes the 225i roar. I test amps with synthesizer music as they can sustain really low frequency bass.

You have two pair of excellent phones, go with an amp, you will be amazed.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the HD600 and used to have the SR225 at the same time; with comparable wear on both their pads they tend to sound similar IF getting comparable driving power. They were similar on the Little Dot MkII, although with enough wear on the Grado pads they sound warmer/darker than the Senns. On a 9V CMOY tonally they were close, but it was better with the SR225 and the HD600 was really congested. Straight out of my Marantz CD60's headphone jack, the SR225 sounded a bit thinner than usual but the HD600 was thicker, warmer and had more impact than the Grados.

In your case clearly the MacBook (even if it can't maximize either) does a lot better with the Grados. Get a more powerful amp with a DAC, that way on both counts it should do better than just the MacBook with both headphones. Many designs nowadays aren't as restricted to a very narrow impedance range, but I'd rather you choose based primarily on synergy with the HD600 since straight out of most things Grados are acceptable, and also that there wouldn't be too many designs that would do really good with the HD600 then be absolutely horrid with the SR225.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 5
The HD600 definitely doesn't lack impact on a good amp in my experience. I haven't heard the total airhead, but I doubt such a small battery powered amp could make the HD600 sound anywhere near it's potential. So I would recommend to look for a good desktop amp. Your Grados will also thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back