SR-71A Landed Today...
Sep 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #31 of 56
My SR-71A got 67 hours on the first pair of Duracell alkalines. I played it continuously, most of the time on the low gain setting using IEMs and at about 40% volume. However, there were a few hours where I used the high gain setting and full-sized cans. So overall, I'm real happy with the battery life.

I'm currently running it on a second set of alkalines, but am charging some new Accupower 300mAh NiMH to try tonight. I'll report back on the life the rechargeables once they expire.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR-71A got 67 hours on the first pair of Duracell alkalines.

I'm burning mine in with some cheap alkalines I have laying around (plain ray-o-vac's....not "maximum plus") and got exactly 48 hours off of the first set.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #34 of 56
Well guys, I just placed my order for a white SR-71A - gonna give this a whirl
smily_headphones1.gif

Here we go!

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 56
Guys, the SR71 (which I foolishly sold) always drain one more battery more than the other. As an standard practice I used to swap the batteries every 24 hours of use thus prolonging their operating life.

I have done the same w/ the SR71A and so far I have about 48 hours on a pair of alkaline batteries and going strong. I hope Ray chimes in to let us know if one battery will drain quicker.

BTW, anyone here knows if the SR71 can use the rechargeable LiIon 500 mAh 9 volt batteries that Thomas Distributing sells.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #36 of 56
The SR71A can use the 500 lithium. I ordered some today! Ha. :^)

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #37 of 56
Question for Jamato8 / MrArroyo.. and anyone else - are those batteries you've just mentioned going to be the best you can think of in relation to sound quality for a 9v?

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 56
I have no way to know at this time. I will get a couple in a few days and also the 71A needs time to burn in, which is a much shorter period of time when compared to the Predator. I would expect 100 to 200 hours burn-in for everything to form.

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #39 of 56
I just reached 100 hours of burn-in. This has been using alkalines only. I'm just about to drop in some Accupower 300mAh rechargeables and do some serious listening. I'll do a quick comparison betweem the two battery types using one song and let you if I can hear any difference.

One thing is for sure. As I type this, I'm listening to the SR-71A through UE TF-10s and the sound stage now sounds very three-dimensional! This is getting good... real good.

I'll report back later.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guys, I just placed my order for a white SR-71A - gonna give this a whirl
smily_headphones1.gif

Here we go!

the white is beautiful!
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no way to know at this time. I will get a couple in a few days and also the 71A needs time to burn in, which is a much shorter period of time when compared to the Predator. I would expect 100 to 200 hours burn-in for everything to form.

Correct! BTW jamatoo8 I did the math and I am wondering if it is worth it to order the 500 lithium batteries.

Edit: See post 49.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, the SR71 (which I foolishly sold) always drain one more battery more than the other. As an standard practice I used to swap the batteries every 24 hours of use thus prolonging their operating life.

I never noticed that with my SR71, but definitely an issue with my MicroDAC....

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct! BTW jamatoo8 I did the math and I am wondering if it is worth it to order the 500 lithium batteries. I say so because w/ a charger you will spend about $85 including S&H. Right now at CVS there is a sale of buy one package of batteries and get one free. The alkaline 9 volts are $2.99 for a pair or really $2.99 for four w/ their offer. Thus I can buy 17 packages (get 34) of the alkaline batteries for the $85.

If we assume 70 hours of use in an alkaline battery and 40 for the rechargeable ones then you would be able to have the SR71 powered for about 2380 hours with the alkalines. If you listen to your portable rig for 3 hours a day it would mean 2 years and 2 months of use. Most of us do not keep the gear that long, so ...

I don't quite understand. Can you state that again and type slower this time? :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back