SR-71A and PA2V2 - Am I deaf
Jan 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
The SR-71A outperforms the PA2V2 only at extreme high volumes (past 9:00) - and since I dont plan on listening at those dangerous levels, I consider there to be virtually no difference.

so in other words, headphones that are very hard to drive will actually see a noticeable difference

I would say that the 600 ohm headphones would definitiely suffer with the pa2v2 and would benefit from the SR-71A...but for phones that are 300ohm or less, I dont see how there is any difference from the two.  I think I might see if I can sell my SR-71A (or trade it in for some lower impedance Grados).

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 35
grados are godly

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
   I would say that the 600 ohm headphones would definitiely suffer with the pa2v2 and would benefit from the SR-71A...but for phones that are 300ohm or less, I dont see how there is any difference from the two.  I think I might see if I can sell my SR-71A (or trade it in for some lower impedance Grados).

Try driving a 250 Ohm Beyer with the PA2v2. Impedance isn't everything.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 35
Just wanted to update this thread becasue i actually spent some time with the SR-71a and have come to appreciate it's ability to work well with my HD580s.  It turns out I was searching for volume, when I really should have been listening for the impact that the amp has on the phones.  Ray also emailed me and confirmed that most of the gain comes after 1:00.  I think I'll continue to appreciate the sr-71a as I continue to listen to them.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
Just wanted to update this thread becasue i actually spent some time with the SR-71a and have come to appreciate it's ability to work well with my HD580s.  It turns out I was searching for volume, when I really should have been listening for the impact that the amp has on the phones.  Ray also emailed me and confirmed that most of the gain comes after 1:00.  I think I'll continue to appreciate the sr-71a as I continue to listen to them.

Now we're getting somewhere! Better dynamics and clean bass. I recently sold my SR-71A, now it's up for trade already...guess it can't please everyone...I decided to keep my Pico Slim instead which is what the trade is for. lol...nice flip.
rolleyes.gif

I kept my XM5 (9 volt) but it doesn't match the power of SR-71A.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
It turns out I was searching for volume, when I really should have been listening for the impact that the amp has on the phones.  Ray also emailed me and confirmed that most of the gain comes after 1:00.  I think I'll continue to appreciate the sr-71a as I continue to listen to them.

One aspect of performance of amp we don't usually talk about is that of power design, management and implementation.  It is not just wattage or impedance.  That factor alone can determine whether an amp is a good match with a certain phone (system synergy).  For instance, a class A, class B or Class AB design can impact how power is delivered to a phone.  For class A, full or maximum power is available the moment power is turned on even if the volume switch is at 0 whereas for Class B design, volume is at minimal and increases as the demand for volume is increased. And for Class AB, variable volume is available up to a certain point then full power is available for the rest of the volume range and thus Class AB.  So for any particular amp driving a particular phone if good power is not available at low end and is only available at a range beyond a person listening level, then that person may never be able to listen to the phone's optimal performance.  I guess that is why the Stepdance performs good at the expense of battery life because it makes abundance of good power at the widest power range.  According to Ray, I guess if most of the gain comes after 1:00, then for any phone that can give a listening level performance after 1:00 will perform it best.  That is why demanding phones like the HD6x0 sound good with the Sr71a and that is why Ray used the hd600 as the reference phone to develop the SR71a. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:

Any chance that you could give your next amp purchase a couple of months before dashing to HF to post your impressions ? You really haven't done anyone any favours here.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:

Quote:

Any chance that you could give your next amp purchase a couple of months before dashing to HF to post your impressions ? You really haven't done anyone any favours here.

How bout this: I promise not to prematurely post my impressions if you refrain from being an A-Hole. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 35
Cause and effect, friend, but I seem to recall that you started this thread. I'm just one of the a-holes who was silly enough to start reading it.

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Cause and effect, friend, but I seem to recall that you started this thread. I'm just one of the a-holes who was silly enough to start reading it.

Yes- I started this thread with hopes that I could get some help and insight from other Head-Fiers with more experience with the amp.  Apparently, this is beneath you.

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 35
Friend, when you see someone else post that 'there is no difference between a $400 portable and a DIY amp costing 1/8th as much', ask yourself where they are coming by opinions like that. The problem with spending a couple of years on HF is that you get to see random impressions taken as gospel, usually the more negative the impression, the more likely it is to be cast in stone. 'Grados are hideously bright', 'Grados dont benefit from amping', 'the K701 has no bass' etc etc

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
Friend, when you see someone else post that 'there is no difference between a $400 portable and a DIY amp costing 1/8th as much', ask yourself where they are coming by opinions like that. The problem with spending a couple of years on HF is that you get to see random impressions taken as gospel, usually the more negative the impression, the more likely it is to be cast in stone. 'Grados are hideously bright', 'Grados dont benefit from amping', 'the K701 has no bass' etc etc

Well thank God we all have you to set everyone straight, friend.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #28 of 35
It is nice to see friendships being made. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #30 of 35
Well I know I don't get along with everyone and I don't like everyone but in a bad situation, I will give someone a hand to keep them from drowning as long as they don't pull me under. If we can believe or feel that, at least it will put some things in perspective. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back