SR-71 performance - Pre and Post Burn-in: Difference ???
Jul 15, 2004 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

raaj

500+ Head-Fier
Hey you 'Black Bird' junkies..

It is a known fact that the 'black bird' sounds great straight out of the box.. But how much does the sound improve post burn-in, say after the 100 hr. mark?? Can you say (albeit subjectively) 'the sound improved x% over the pre-burn-in sound quality..' ??

No trolling please.. this thread is strictly for people who have the SR-71 and have gone through the burn-in phase..

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I am definitely becoming a "Blackbird Junkie" very quickly. I just received my "blackbird" yesterday afternoon. After doing an "SR-71" search I learned that 100+ hours of burn-in [two sets of 9v] is recommended. I started a new thread last night asking for recommendations/advice/details about how to conduct a proper "burn-in." The limited response indicated that the SR-71 sounds so good out of the box that I shouldn't be concerned about burn-in. That I should just "enjoy my new amp." I am definitely doing that. This amp does sound great out of the box. If it is going to get better I am really excited. I am so impressed and pleased with this purchase. It sounds great with my E5's. I was so worried about E5 "hiss." The hiss isn't there until about 1:00, [even then it is barely noticeable with no music playing...] well above anything that I would consider normal listening level. I have a Total Airhead and my favorite feature of that amp is the crossfeed processor. I thought that I would miss crossfeed on the SR-71. I don't. If you have any advice on burn-in I would appreciate the information. So far, I have about two hours on her. I am also looking for recommendations for an iPod/SR-71 [and related gear] bag.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 17
Raaj,

There was a noticeable improvement after burning in my SR-71, which was done for over 100 hours. The sound is more refined and the notes are that much more crisp and clear. I am using a set of Shure E5c and the SR-71 does a fantastic job driving them. It is worth the time (and batteries) to burn it in. In my opinion the quaility in sound went up an additional 15% (+/-).

Regarding a gear bag, I use the Waterfield In Motion bag. It carries my SR-71, E5c, iPod 30GB, power cable, and portable speakers. I like the fact that I can stuff quite a bit of stuff in there. Waterfield makes other bags which are smaller, but just as cool. The make the best bags I have found, with their quality much like Vaja Cases for the iPod.

Link: Waterfield In Motion Bag

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 17
I burned in my SR-71 with two sets of batteries, around 100 hours. It can be tough to do a comparison in your head between what the amp sounded like then vs now, but I will say that the SR-71 is shining at this point. I wouldn't avoid listening to it pre-burn in, but it doesn't hurt to give it 100 hours, either.

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 17
This was my first experience with breaking in an audiophile quality amplifier, and I was surprised with the extent of the change in sound over the first 150 hours.
Out of the wrapper
wink.gif
the warmth was almost overwhelming, making my favorite rock anthems an emotional and mystical revealation. However, I found a certain lack of clarity in my classical selections.
As the hours climbed above 100, the sound changed noticeably. The soundstage opened up, the mids and lows smoothed out substantially, and the slight background hiss picked up by my supersensitive e5's lessened.
A few of us have purchased the Waterfield ipod gear bag with good results. I have my sr-71 nearest the zipper end, and feed the remote and e5's out that end, leaving finger room to adjust the amp volume. It is the ultimate ipod sound package.
basshead.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 17
Interesting... I thought that Ray burned in all his amps prior to shipping. I don't recall exactly how long his 'standard' burn-in time is, but I thought it was significant. Maybe he's not doing that (pre-ship burn in) any more, or at least with the SR-71? *shrug*

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Interesting... I thought that Ray burned in all his amps prior to shipping. I don't recall exactly how long his 'standard' burn-in time is, but I thought it was significant. Maybe he's not doing that (pre-ship burn in) any more, or at least with the SR-71? *shrug*

Hmm.. I didn't know that he burns them in before shipping.. Nice idea, though !! The buyer who was 'WOW'ed by the sound straight out-of-the-box is more likely spread the good word about the amp than someone who 'grows' into the sound..

But if the sound of the SR-71 improves noticeably after burn-in, all the merrier..
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 17
When I picked up my SR71 from Ray he told me he couldn't do his typical burn-in because of the cost factor of all the batteries he would have needed to purchase to satisfy the first run of SR71s.

I did compare my SR71 to a burned-in one and there was a slight difference in the bass. I was lucky enough to try out Ray's switchbox. The bass on the burned in one had more visceral impact than my new one. As Ray said it will "settle in" to its sound after about 100 hours. Of course the SR71s I A/Bd were hooked up to his Meridian 508.20 and his 600s. Pretty decent home rig! Overall I'd say it was a 10% improvement.

I also sampled the switchbox hooked up to the Stealth and the burned in SR71. I listened to Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room. The Stealth had the edge in the upper frequencies - clarity and details. The sound was more intimate with the Stealth, but the SR71 had a good showing against its biggest brother.

I compared the my now burned-in SR71 with my XP7(797)/iPod/AKG 271s. Both were run off 9Vs. IMHO I like the overall sound better with the XP7. Better balance, but the midrange of the 797 is especially sweet with oboes and female vocals. Would I be able to listen to those minute differences on a train? Probably not. So for portable (read small footprint) the SR71 is hard to beat. I am very happy with my SR71. Now if only my iPod battery would last half as long as the SR71. Oh well.

Regards - reynman

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
Raaj,

There was a noticeable improvement after burning in my SR-71, which was done for over 100 hours. The sound is more refined and the notes are that much more crisp and clear. I am using a set of Shure E5c and the SR-71 does a fantastic job driving them. It is worth the time (and batteries) to burn it in. In my opinion the quaility in sound went up an additional 15% (+/-).

Regarding a gear bag, I use the Waterfield In Motion bag. It carries my SR-71, E5c, iPod 30GB, power cable, and portable speakers. I like the fact that I can stuff quite a bit of stuff in there. Waterfield makes other bags which are smaller, but just as cool. The make the best bags I have found, with their quality much like Vaja Cases for the iPod.

Link: Waterfield In Motion Bag

Raaj,
I am interested in your comments regarding the Waterfield "In-Motion Case." We have simliar rigs [I don't have the In-Motion Speakers]. I was looking at the Waterfield "IPod Gear Bag" and it looks too small. Does the In-Motion Bag come with a shoulder strap? Would the pocket for the In-Motion speakers be suitable for cables/adaptors? Is there a way to route the cables internally? I elimimated the Headroom Traveller because it appears to be too big. I am strongly considering the Waterfield In-Motion Bag as well as the Headroom "Airbag," and a bag called the "Maxpedition/Fatboy." Do you have any experience with any of these bags. Sorry to be so inquisitive but I want to make the right choice the first time. Thanks for any input...

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Raaj,
I am interested in your comments regarding the Waterfield "In-Motion Case." We have simliar rigs [I don't have the In-Motion Speakers]. I was looking at the Waterfield "IPod Gear Bag" and it looks too small. Does the In-Motion Bag come with a shoulder strap? Would the pocket for the In-Motion speakers be suitable for cables/adaptors? Is there a way to route the cables internally? I elimimated the Headroom Traveller because it appears to be too big. I am strongly considering the Waterfield In-Motion Bag as well as the Headroom "Airbag," and a bag called the "Maxpedition/Fatboy." Do you have any experience with any of these bags. Sorry to be so inquisitive but I want to make the right choice the first time. Thanks for any input...

Sorry pal.. I have neither used nor seen the Waterfield bag, so I would not comment on it. When you say 'we have similar gear' if you mean my iRiver iHP120 with SR-71 and Etys.. I must point out that the iRiver is a very recent purchase (a few days old, in fact), and I am in fact looking for a bag to carry my portable gear on my next trip.. I saw a couple of 'Case Logic' cases in circuit city that could accomodate the rig, but they were not too good looking. So, I am in search of a good travel bag, too..

Let me know if you come across something..
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]*not a single useful answer, topped off with a question of my own..
tongue.gif
*[/size]

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Out of the box, the amp sounded smooth but had a very narrow soundstage. The first ~ 30 hours of burn-in have helped, and I'm hoping the improvements will continue. I also find the amp more fatiguing than my Meier HA-2, but I'm hoping this too will improve.

I'm still on my first set of batteries and plan to burn it in around the clock this weekend.

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
Sorry pal.. I have neither used nor seen the Waterfield bag, so I would not comment on it. When you say 'we have similar gear' if you mean my iRiver iHP120 with SR-71 and Etys.. I must point out that the iRiver is a very recent purchase (a few days old, in fact), and I am in fact looking for a bag to carry my portable gear on my next trip.. I saw a couple of 'Case Logic' cases in circuit city that could accomodate the rig, but they were not too good looking. So, I am in search of a good travel bag, too..

Let me know if you come across something..
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]*not a single useful answer, topped off with a question of my own..
tongue.gif
*[/size]

Sorry, meant to ask Jester, sent message to you. Sorry...

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Sorry, meant to ask Jester, sent message to you. Sorry...

Check your PM inbox...I responded there.

Sep 22, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Those of you who have now burned in your SR-71 who were new owners when this thread was started, how does the burn in sound?

A bunch of us seem like we have just received SR-71's and are all giddy with our new toys. It would be great to hear stories of what to expect to help us relish our experience even more.

Mine sounded great out of the box. If it is going to get better I can't wait!! I have about 4 hours on it now, I have a long way to go.

Cheers,
dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back