SR-60 Response Graph
Dec 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 73
All told, measuring headphones is a challenge very different from measuring loudspeakers, but it encompasses at least as many mysteries. Much of a headphone's sound quality clearly resides in its frequency response, but what that response should look like remains unclear. I'm hoping that amassing measurements and comparing them with subjective assessments will eventually bring enlightenment.

Stereophile: Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribestros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice elitism there, bud. What he is saying is that there is more of a flat response on the Koss than the Grados by pointing out the peak in the high range on the Grados. Read before you reel off a demeaning post like that.

No elitism intended. I just think the aversion to FR graphs is an overreaction, a bit of a Luddite thing. I honestly don't know what the perfect graph would look like. But to say the graphs don't mean anything while different headphones produce different fingerprints is to ignore what's right there. By the way, how do you accuse me of elitism - in suggesting that the sub-$100 SR-60 holds its own pretty well with other Grados two and three times its price - and then tell me to "read" as if I were somehow illiterate? Are "demeaning" comments more of an issue with you when you perceive them than what you dish them out?

If we're done with the middle-school antics, can we get back to the point?

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graphCompare.php

wow, is KSC75 more balanced sounding than PS1000? and KSC75 was on sale for $14 at Radioshack! How can something that costs $14 be more balanced than something that's $1400!

OP, stop posting nonsense. HR FR graphs are useless.

Neither, the SR-60 is more balanced than both.

It's not surprising either, the PS1000 is a niche headphone made for people that like its sound. This is why there's large debates over what's HiFi and high-end. Must it be accurate, or must it sound pleasing to the user? If it's only what sounds pleasing, and we all have different opinions of what that is, how can one define what is HiFi or high-end?

PS:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if many liked the sound of the KSC75 over the PS1000 honestly. They measure very similar across the board in terms of performance in other areas (which really isn't all that great empirically speaking). If you're a subjectivist, which is what I presume you are, this shouldn't matter anyway. However, remember in either subjective or objective cases that more money does not inherently mean a better product. If that were the case all of us would be driving Cadillacs by now.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #34 of 73
Those graphs are merely a measure of quantity. There's so much more that needs to be taken into account. Driver size, pad type, impedance, sensitivity, housings, etc.

This is like looking at three cars that have the same engine horsepower and torque measurements. It's only one variable of many that influence how the device performs in the real world.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those graphs are merely a measure of quantity. There's so much more that needs to be taken into account. Driver size, pad type, impedance, sensitivity, housings, etc.

This is like looking at three cars that have the same engine horsepower and torque measurements. It's only one variable of many that influence how the device performs in the real world.

True, but many of those (for Grado's at least) are very similar if not identical.

Neither here nor there honestly.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

graphCompare.php

wow, is KSC75 more balanced sounding than PS1000? and KSC75 was on sale for $14 at Radioshack! How can something that costs $14 be more balanced than something that's $1400!

OP, stop posting nonsense. HR FR graphs are useless.

I'm looking at the graph you dismissed. You think the information it provides is meaningless. Maybe that's because you assume that differences on the graph are minor unless they're so visually dynamic as to run from floor to ceiling. When the box framing the dynamics runs from -30 to 30, I suppose it's easy to expect night and day differences in dynamics rather than concentrating on those areas in which frequency responses actually take place.

For example, while the box has room for dynamics ranging from -30 to 30, I've never seen headphones that had 30 from 0 to 100 Hz. What's the norm? That's where we should be looking. The ceiling is too high. The HD800 (some people's favorite set of cans) runs from -3 to 4 in this range. Obviously, these graphs will continue to be meaningless if you diminish the differences they show by looking at a box much larger than the area of importance.

Mind you, I'm "still clueless" after nearly 1,000 posts, so I don't blame you for dismissing what I have to say (especially if I'm guilty of making "demeaning" comments), but when I look at the chart you threw down (one assume you picked to make your case), I see the PS-1000 outgunning the cheap Kosses in the low-low bass. I see the cheap headphones outscreaming the PS-1000 somewhere around 150 to 300 Hz, an area the cheap headphones will cling to as their idea of bass. I see similar output in the middle frequencies, then a wild divergence at the high end, where the cheap headphones crap out and the PS-1000 dominates. But hey, forget about all that since the graph is meaningless and I'm clueless.

I merely brought out the graph as something we could all look at. To my ears, the SR60 holds it own. Your reply can be that I don't have your excellent hearing or taste, which is obviously not meaningless because you're so right and I'm so clueless. You have a good night.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #37 of 73
ok..great. We have a "noob" claiming he can "hear" the difference in Grados simply by looking at HR FR graphs; and an old timer who claims SR60 is more balanced than PS1000 and KSC75 simply by looking at the position of SR60 on HR FR graph (but why didn't he say KSC75 is more balanced than Edition 8 based on another graph?).

What's even more absurd is the claim that many, or 25-50% of the people, (note: presumably many means more than some but less than most, say 25% < x < 51%) will prefer KSC75 over PS1000.

I am speechless; the glory day of headfi has passed, I see. Welcome to the age of mass misinformation.

FYI, Koss sounds nothing like Grado despite similarities in their FR graphs as posted by HR. Since I am so nice, I will say it again: HR FR graphs are useless, use at your own peril.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . then a wild divergence at the high end, where the cheap headphones crap out and the PS-1000 dominates. But hey, forget about all that since the graph is meaningless and I'm clueless.

If your idea of a +10dB peak based on the HR graph as dominating, then I really have nothing to tell you. Enjoy the "sound" of your HR FR graph

Quote:

To my ears, the SR60 holds it own. Your reply can be that I don't have your excellent hearing or taste, which is obviously not meaningless because you're so right and I'm so clueless. You have a good night.

If you like SR60, that's fine. Stop justifying your reasoning by appealing to the totally useless HR FR graph. Please also stop justifying your purchase by thinking all other more expensive grados are just tweaked SR60 (or you can't hear the difference). In the greater headphone world, SR60 is just another entry level headphone; only good for the money (same thing can be said of ibud (free), px100/200, and ksc35/75, none of which is good, just good for the money)

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #38 of 73
Punnisher;6210989 said:

This is like looking at three cars that have the same engine horsepower and torque measurements. It's only one variable of many that influence how the device performs in the real world.[/QUOTE

Well said, in fact many more things come into play, graphs are for the most useless. It's a shame the fine art of voicing speakers is all but dead. Not all the long ago, graphs weren't used except for a starting point. The real adjustments were made by human ears. Graphs are one of the most misleading indicators of sound.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 73
FR graphs are great as a design and analysis tool, but they are one of many measurements which can determine how a headphone or speaker sounds like. If you are into the measurement thing, other graphs like CSD/waterfalls or 2nd, 3rd, 4th order harmonic distortion, impulse response graph, etc. at various frequencies give a much better picture. You really need a lot of graphs (the FR graph being almost the least important) to get a picture of how something may sound like (and also a lot of experience reading them). Even then, note my use of the word may.

That said, measuring FR graphs for headphones (vs. speakers) is very problematic because of the variables of how headphones sit over a person's head and ears. Also I have serious doubts whether a "flat" EQ (as measured by Headroom) really would sound flat.

Here my very first post on head-fi. The FR graphs in it compare the RS-2 button-less version vs. an old SR-80 with buttons. Note that in using the FR graphs, I don't make assertions on overall sound quality, but I do make some conclusions with specific aspects of these headphones in comparison.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...risons-360655/

In other words, FR graphs are just a tool. But I wouldn't go so far as saying they are useless or have no correlation to the sound. Take for example a comparison of the Denon AH-D5000 and Grado RS-1 on Headroom. This does give you a pretty good idea of the smooth, extended, and strong bass of the Denons (and also the relative slight high-midrange suckout) compared to the RS-1.

And oh ya, I only have 50 posts on head-fi. But I hope my access to expensive measuring equipment and years of speaker building since I was in college count for something.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

And oh ya, I only have 50 posts on head-fi. But I hope my access to expensive measuring equipment and years of speaker building since I was in college count for something.

Purrin, it's good to hear from you. Are you still making those cookie-tin Beta 22s? I thought your design was awesome and just the opposite of pretentiousness.

No offense intended but it irks me that you would have to "hope" that your opinion would still count if you "only have 50 posts on head-fi." It means that you misunderstood my comment, which was a reply to somebody's jerk comment that I had "nearly a thousand posts" but was "still clueless." Anybody can post on headfi and some of the dumbest comments have been posted by boorish jerks who have 5,000 posts - as if the sheer number of their past comments made them an authority on anything. I don't mind being told I'm wrong - which is probably nothing new - but having some a-hole count my posts and call me "clueless" was the kind of nastiness that reminds me that the headphone passion speaks to all of us, at every maturity level.

I'll stop "posting nonsense" since there's not much discussion left to have. Have a good night.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by darlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drubbing,

Agree with what you pointed out. Graphs for me, is purley a graph. For comparism and refernce. It will never influence my buying decision or imply the quality of the Phone or sound. I mean, sure some freq response is better on lower models vs higher model.. but it does not equate to being better. Or when freq Graph looks the same = same quality? It may most prob be market Espionaage at work. Wannabes phones are emulated to sound similar to successful ones? If its similar across the line of product for hte same brand.. i intrepret it as just similar style.
smily_headphones1.gif

My phone purchase are based on listening and comparism and on my music preerence. Never let Graphs dictates your purchase. Long ago, i tot better freq Response = better phones.. i was blown when i listen to the SR60i and it was only 20-20! Much better than quite a number of phones with better response..

I've never bought a phone based on graphs - I barely understand them anyway and they hold zero interest for me. I listen and let my ears decide.

I'm lucky, I have access to somewhere I can listen to a wide range. It's harder for people that can't and who then come to rely of the vague generalities of FR graphs and the wide ranging opinions of the same phone, and the subjectivity inherent in audio and those opinions.

It creates minefield of potential disappointment that a certain phone will sound just like the description of how it sounds.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

I'm looking at the graph you dismissed. You think the information it provides is meaningless. .

Anything over a few thousand hertz is meaningless on a freq plot because it is so directional. I could get a completely different plot by moving the mic a few mm's.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything over a few thousand hertz is meaningless on a freq plot because it is so directional. I could get a completely different plot by moving the mic a few mm's.

That's a criticism of the accuracy of the graphs, not an argument as to their meaninglessness.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

ok..great. We have a "noob" claiming he can "hear" the difference in Grados simply by looking at HR FR graphs; and an old timer who claims SR60 is more balanced than PS1000 and KSC75 simply by looking at the position of SR60 on HR FR graph

I assure you I looked at much more than JUST the FR graphs. I'd suggest taking a look at the square wave responses too. Also, even though both have distortion under 1% (personally I think most headphones meet law of diminishing returns at this point), the Koss actually does come out in front of the PS1000.

Quote:

(but why didn't he say KSC75 is more balanced than Edition 8 based on another graph?).

Because there were too many differences to really comment on it.

Quote:

What's even more absurd is the claim that many, or 25-50% of the people, (note: presumably many means more than some but less than most, say 25% < x < 51%) will prefer KSC75 over PS1000.

Yes, because everyone here is just going to love bright phones. Heaven forbid there be a chunk of people out there that dislike them. Everyone here thinks Grado is just peachy right?

Get over it, not everyone likes Grado sound.

Quote:

I am speechless; the glory day of headfi has passed, I see. Welcome to the age of mass misinformation.

Drama queen much? Funny how a cable junkie goes on about mass misinformation too, it would be ironic had it not been expected.

Quote:

FYI, Koss sounds nothing like Grado despite similarities in their FR graphs as posted by HR. Since I am so nice, I will say it again: HR FR graphs are useless, use at your own peril.

I never said they sounded anything alike.

Either way you don't seem to have the authority to speak on that. You told us to compare the PS1000 to the KSC75, not "Grado" period. I looked at your profile for a PS1000 since you seem to be the authority on this "PS1000 KSC75" comparison and whatnot but guess what . . . you don't own one.

You say I'm definitively wrong here, yet have no form of evidence whatsoever, not even anecdotal (though I'd still take is with a grain of salt). Not only that, but you have gone out of your way to be obnoxious in the process (don't worry, I was happy to return the favor).

Quote:

If your idea of a +10dB peak based on the HR graph as dominating, then I really have nothing to tell you.

Ha. Ahahaha. You do realize that a 10dB difference is twice the perceived loudness correct and over twice the actual amplitude correct?

Quote:

If you like SR60, that's fine. Stop justifying your reasoning by appealing to the totally useless HR FR graph. Please also stop justifying your purchase by thinking all other more expensive grados are just tweaked SR60 (or you can't hear the difference).

I doubt you could in the majority of the SR line.

Quote:

In the greater headphone world, SR60 is just another entry level headphone; only good for the money (same thing can be said of ibud (free), px100/200, and ksc35/75, none of which is good, just good for the money)

Did you hear that everyone? These are definitively bad headphones because he says so. He apparently also has "the" definition for high-end and HiFi. He's going to be martyr and savior of the forums for everyone! [/sarcasm]

I imagine you'll be making it to my ignore list very soon.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

ok..great. We have a "noob" claiming he can "hear" the difference in Grados simply by looking at HR FR graphs; and an old timer who claims SR60 is more balanced than PS1000 and KSC75 simply by looking at the position of SR60 on HR FR graph (but why didn't he say KSC75 is more balanced than Edition 8 based on another graph?).

First, calling this guy a noob is disrespectful and as irrelevant as calling me "an old timer." Second, I never claimed that the SR60 was "more balanced" than either the PS1000 or the KSC75. All you did was pick up a misstatement, made by someone else, and swallow it whole. The graph I brought up for discussion compared the bottom four headphones in the Prestige series (except for the iGrado). It said nothing about the 325, or the woodies, or the PS-1000, let alone the KSC75. If you're going to make sweeping criticisms, the least you can do is follow the plot.

Quote:

You should know. Some of your comments are the definition of "mass information." You criticize as "absurd" the claim that "many, or 25-50% of the people . . . will prefer KSC75 over PS1000," but did anyone actually make such a claim? It must be fun to invent claims to criticize. But again, that's just absurd.

Quote:

I wouldn't know as I've never heard either headphone, nor did I come here to suggest as much. But your criticism of me, as if I'd made such a claim, is, well, absurd.

Quote:

If your idea of a +10dB peak based on the HR graph as dominating, then I really have nothing to tell you. Enjoy the "sound" of your HR FR graph

There you go again. You're in such a hurry to cut me down that you don't have time to accurately portray what I'm saying. Ego is a blinding thing. My point was that graphs do have something to say. Your point is apparently that they have nothing to say - and to make your point more appealing, you have to paint me as saying that graphs say everything.

If only.

I was pointing out that a person could learn something from a graph, even the cherrypicked graph brought up to ridicule the idea of looking at graphs in the first place. I looked at that graph and stated what I thought it had to say:

1) That the PS-1000 has more representation of the low bass;
2) That the Koss is louder when it gets to the upper bass;
3) That the two phones had similar lines in the midrange; and
4) That the PS-1000 "dominated" in the HF, an awkward verb but one I used in my attempt to say that the PS-1000 has more presentation in the HF than the Koss, which seems to drop off.

Do the differences between these phones boil down to those four statements? No, but are those four statements "meaningless?" Are they inaccurate? Would someone listening to the PS-1000 not think it had "better" bass - at least at the low end? Would that same person hear the Koss trying to produce its version of bass at the upper-bass frequencies? Would such a person hear more HF from the PS-1000 than from the Koss?

I don't know. I've never heard either headphone. I didn't come here to discuss either phone. I pointed to a graph that was comparing four Grados from the prestige series. These other two phones were thrown into this discussion in an attempt to speak of how absurd it is to even look at a graph when discussing headphones. How utterly dismissive! I don't know how it makes sense to talk about open-air headphones with closed minds but I guess that's de rigeur, and anyone who says otherwise is either a "noob" or an "old timer" who is obviously "clueless."

If I were to assume that the PS-1000 had the sound others have ascribed to it, including its more prominent bass, and that the $14 Koss headphone were some junky throw-away headphone, the four statements above - suggested by the graph - would hardly seem "absurd" or "meaningless." Would I expect the PS-1000 to have better bass than a piece of plastic with some wires hanging from it? Yeah, sure. Would I expect the PS-1000 to be more prominent in its presentation of HF? I would certainly hope so. Would I expect the cheaper headphone to attempt some kind of punchy mid- or upper-bass? Stranger things have happened. Would it be out of the question for a cheap headphone to have, as its most reliable feature, a midrange that performed better than its low-lows or high-highs? I suspect not.

The claim was made that these two headphones have the same specs. I don't think they do. If that leaves you speechless, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.

Quote:

If you like SR60, that's fine. Stop justifying your reasoning by appealing to the totally useless HR FR graph.

Why all of the hostility towards a poor, defenseless, graph? Did I come here to say it cured cancer? I think not. I came here to open up a discussion about that graph. If your only contribution to that discussion is to throw rocks at all graphs, what have you accomplished?

Quote:

Please also stop justifying your purchase by thinking all other more expensive grados are just tweaked SR60 (or you can't hear the difference).

I didn't say the more expensive Grados "are just tweaked SR60" nor did I say I "can't hear the difference." I've owned most of the Grado products, from the iGrado to the SR60, the SR80, the RS-325i, the RS-1 and the GS-1000. I skipped the SR-125 and the SR-225, as well as the RS-2 (Make your judgments if you must). I have yet to find a compelling reason (and a wad of cash big enough) to buy a PS-1000. I thought I spoke of ways in which the RS-1 still sounded better than my SR-60, as well as ways in which my SR-60 sounds better now than it did before I made changes to it. You keep wanting to take me to task for things you would like me to have said so that you can play the "You're so absurd" card. It's getting pretty tedious.

Quote:

In the greater headphone world, SR60 is just another entry level headphone; only good for the money (same thing can be said of ibud (free), px100/200, and ksc35/75, none of which is good, just good for the money)

Thank you, Mr. Ambassador of "the greater headphone world," but as I already own the RS-1 and the GS-1000, I don't need lessons on how these more expensive offerings sound better than the SR-60. To say the SR-60 is "only good for the money" may make you quite the audio snob, but it's not an argument so much as a dismissal. This is where I'm supposed to have been put in my place by your greater authority and knowledge, but parroting what you've heard other people say doesn't make you more correct. If I'm "clueless," maybe it's because I don't take as gospel what other people say. If you even bothered to do more than Evelyn Wood my comments, you'd know where I spoke of the SR-60 as coming up short. But I guess it wouldn't be as much fun for you if you couldn't argue against the straw man. Lots of luck with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back