SR-325i...Are they too good?
Mar 31, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
More forgiving is not the same as dull, which is why I sold my HD-650's and HD-600's. They are unforgiving and they are also boring as s***.

Your kidding about the Koss, right? I'd just as well get some Bose headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Uh yeah thats why I recommended a grado and not a senn can.
confused.gif

No joke on the koss headphones. They are pleasent to listen to.

Biggie.

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 32
The quality of the system does not affect the inherent sound quality of any recording. However the quality of the system can have a dramatic affect on how recordings are perceived.

A poorly mastered CD is often bright and thin sounding. Play that same CD on two different systems, one system with extended highs shows exactly what is bad about the recording, and the other system with a mellower high end softens the extent or impact of the lean or bright recording. Your not believing in this does not change the fact that it is true, and I am not the only one who believes this.

If it wasn’t for the smiley face I’d think that those were fightin words
k1000smile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Your kidding about the Koss, right? I'd just as well get some Bose headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I'd agree with Jahn. The Koss PortaPro/KSC-35/75 are great sounding headphones. They're not the most detailed (and not very revealing) and the bass can get boomy (though an EQ or 75/120 ohm jack would take care of that) but they're only $35. I think they'd also compliment the K1000's pretty good, they have a dark, bassy sound with a very small soundstage. Or you could consider downgradoing to the MS-1s as well.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

The quality of the system does not affect the inherent sound quality of any recording. However the quality of the system can have a dramatic affect on how recordings are perceived.

A poorly mastered CD is often bright and thin sounding. Play that same CD on two different systems, one system with extended highs shows exactly what is bad about the recording, and the other system with a mellower high end softens the extent or impact of the lean or bright recording. Your not believing in this does not change the fact that it is true, and I am not the only one who believes this.

Haha, this is a common misconseption. When you have eradicated all sources of harsheness and brightness from your system, only then will your view point change. Unfortuneately the harsh highs of your k1000's will always bottleneck the listenability of your system.

I specifically tuned my whole system to sound good with ANY recording. To acheive this I had to do the following:
-good power conditioning (dirty power cause sibilance and harsher highs)
-reduce jitter on my cd player (another major cause of sibilance)
-get rid of harsh/bright components
-replace any microphonic tubes (can cause brightness)
-use thick power cords
-replace headphone cable (stock cable gave harsher highs)

My system is incredibly resolving and transparent and every recording is easy to listen to. Its just unfortunate my ps-1's are currently in for repairs.

Biggie.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #20 of 32
When your system is truly mediocre that’s when all recordings will sound “good”. I congratulate you on your system that makes everything (no matter how crappy the recording) sound “good”. You obviously have put tremendous effort to make sure that your system has achieved the pinnacle of mediocrity.
rolleyes.gif

I’m sure that your system is wonderful. I’m also sure that no matter how wonderful it is that I would not want to listen to many of my lesser recordings with it. Assuming that you know how everybody else hears and listens is presumptuous and totally incorrect. Assuming that because someone hears something different than you do that his system is therefore inadequate is also presumptuous and incorrect.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #21 of 32
Sorry to threadjack (and interrupt the friendly conversation
eek.gif
), but I was thinking about getting these 325i's. I've never heard any grados; do you think these are good ones to get? Or, should I start with some lower ones first? (Money doesn't affect this decision)
Also, can these be used unamped? Do they change a lot amped? Thanks

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 32
I definitely agree with Yikes on poor recordings; supreme gear can make them painful to listen to...of course, there are probably people out there (perhaps like Bigs?) who don't listen to poorly recorded music.

I'd go for something like an MS-1 or SR60. They shouldn't be so detailed that they kill your ears...yet they should still remain plenty "fun" with those recordings.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Sorry to threadjack (not that I seem to be interrupting anything that important
eek.gif
), but I was thinking about getting these 325i's. I've never heard any grados; do you think these are good ones to get? Or, should I start with some lower ones first? (Money doesn't affect this decision)

I'm listening to my MS-2i's right now...absolutely amazing. I will write a review soon, but the advantages the MS-2i's possess over my SR225's are well worth the difference in price (soundstage and bass detail).

I think purchasing 325i's or MS-2i's would be a nice way to introduce yourself to Grado...if you don't like them, you probably won't like any Grados.

Amping DOES affect them, but the difference depends on the quality of the source. If your source/headphone-out is excellent, you might not notice an extreme difference...I certainly notice a considerable difference out of a portable, however.

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

eek.gif

I think the Grado's are great. It's up to your wallet on where you start. I own 60's and have owned 125's, now I have the 325i's and I have liked all of them. I would bet that one of the audio dealers in the DC area carries Grado. If possible you should give them a listen. It's rare, but occasionally someone doesn’t like the Grado sound. So it’s always a good idea to listen before you buy.

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 32
Its good to hear reports of the 325i.

As for the HD650, it is not at all boring to me or dull, as long as I use my Cardas cable with it. Stock cable is rather soft and ultra forgiving. But I'll grant you that it doesn't reach out and grab you; but neither does live music or my Vandersteen 3A Sig system. Live sound is not aggressive or involving like the Grados; it just is. My speaker system and the HD650s with Perreaux SXH1 are a little on the forgiving side of neutral, but not by much.

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

eek.gif

Just want to add another perspective because the 325i's are the only Grados that I've heard that I have a fairly strong negative reaction to, so, for what it's worth, I thought I'd share.

I found them them too bright, and I generally like other headphones described as bright. I ended up trading someone for MS2i's, which I have found to be much better, with less exaggerated highs and less edgy mids. Prior to getting the 325is, I listened to the MS-1s, which I owen, as well as the RS-1s and RS-2s, both of which I own. I bought the 325is just because I was curious. Same with the MS2is.

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #27 of 32
Hi, you said that you liked the 325i better than the RS-1 which kills me as Ive just bought RS-1s over 325i
smily_headphones1.gif
Can you explain this more in detail please? Did you like the 325i bettr because you find them more involving, or because the sound quality is better than the RS-1?

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #28 of 32
I just had this urge to keep up the threadjacking...

acs236: How would you rate the MS-2i compared to the RS-1 and RS-2 ?? I've got the MS-1, and I've pretty much decided to get a high end Grado can next. I'm also looking at the MS-Pro.

Thanks
Knut

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

When your system is truly mediocre that’s when all recordings will sound “good”. I congratulate you on your system that makes everything (no matter how crappy the recording) sound “good”. You obviously have put tremendous effort to make sure that your system has achieved the pinnacle of mediocrity.
rolleyes.gif

From your statements, your tastes seem to dwell at the opposite extreme.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #30 of 32
I own HD-600 and HD-650 w/ stock and Cardas cable and have never really been impressed w/ Grados. The only exception was some 225s w/ a PPL that I thought sounded great or at least had great synergy. I didn't like the RS-1 or PS-1 w/ any of my amps.
I bought a 325i and actually really like it alot. I'm still keeping my Senns mind you but I'm starting to become a Grado fan.
I had some real issues w/ comfort in the first few hrs but some bending took the pressure off the top of my head and now they're comfy.
I also expected to hate the round post design but now find they work quite well when reclining on the sofa.
All in all, I've been pleasantly surprised by my new Grados and enjoy having another arrow in the quiver.
I can listen to the Senns and then the Grados but not vice versa. The Senns just sound too dull in comparison. The Grados definitely fatigue faster.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back