SR-325i...Are they too good?
Mar 26, 2005 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I received my Grado SR-325i’s. My initial impressions are that they might be to good for use as secondary phones. I know that might sound strange, but I am specifically looking for backup phones to my K1000’s. Something’s that is a little less resolving and a little more forgiven than the K1000’s. The SR-125’s that I sold to get these were great secondary phones, and I hoped that the 325i’s would be more of the same and better, and they are better, much better, possibly too much better.

They have 20 hours of burn in so far (using the XLO burn in disc). I will reserve judgment until well after 150 hours.

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Do you mean they're too good in the sense that the sound is more hi-fi but not as fun?

I think he means that they are too good to be secondary headphones and he likes them more than his current headphones, or its something like that.

Mar 27, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 32
The SR-325i’s are not as good as my K1000’s, not even that close. I prefer my K1000’s for decent to great recordings, but for poor quality recordings the K1000’s are entirely too revealing. I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. Many of the recordings that I love from my youth have crappy sound quality. So I am looking for some secondary headphones that will be less revealing of a recordings faults while remaining fun to listen to.

I tried the HD-600 and the 650’s for they are definitely less revealing, but in the end the Sennheisers were too dull and un-involving. The Sennheisers were not fun. Next came the Grado SR-125’s. The 125’s were much more involving and fun than the Sennheisers. I liked the 125’s as backup phones a great deal, but I fell victim to upgrade-itus. If I liked the 125’s as backup phones, then I’d love the 325i’s. Don’t get me wrong I do love the 325i’s. I think they might be the true bargain in the Grado line, and possibly the best headphone under $500.

No one would argue that a Porsche Carrera GT is a great car, but is it a great car if you are looking for a family car?

I also have some AKG-K501’s that I like a lot, but they also are too revealing for listening to mediocre or sub-par recordings. After breakin I’ll see how well the 325i’s perform as my secondary phones. All my post is really saying is that the 325i’s are great headphones, and therefore they might not be exactly what I am looking for.

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 32
Having a great secondary 'phone isnt a bad thing, i would think it would just mean when you use it, you dont feel like you are missing something that was there in your better headphones.

Mar 27, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 32
Yikes
HI: How are you. Yes the 325i are that good. I found them to be high end cans and for me were very demanding that I listen closely to the music when most of the time I just wanted to well not listen that closely but just enjoy the music in a fun way. I downgraded to the MS-1 with C-Pads and got the fun sound that I was looking fore. There are also many other headphones that have that fun foot tapping sound that you might be looking for in a secondary headphone. I am sorry for posting this so late but I was on a crusade for a little while. LOL.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 32
After more than 100 hours the 325's have settled in well. The excessive brightness that came across as to much detail has mellowed almost entirely. Honestly I like the 325i’s better than the RS-1’s. The RS-1’s are a little to euphonic sounding.

The 325i’s are not as unforgiving as my K1000’s, and that is exactly what I was looking for: High quality headphones that allow me to listen to less than stellar recordings without wanting to tear my ears off. On the 20% of my music collection that is well recorded the K1000’s destroy every other headphone that I’ve tried. On the 80% of my music collection that isn’t audiophile quality the 325i’s are much more enjoyable to listen to than the K1000’s (or my K501’s).

Oh my gawd… did I just admit that overall the 325i’s are better than my K1000’s? I suppose that for 50-80% of my collection they are better.

One thing is that the top 20% (quality) of my recording accounts for probably 80% of my listening. That ratio may change now that I have the 325i’s.

The end result is that I’m very happy with the 325i’s. I could easily live with them as my only headphones.

ENTHUSIASTICALLY RECOMMENDED!

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 32
How do you find the fit? I dislike the weight, and the rotating cups..put them on my head and they wobble around alot more than the RS-1's (RS have hexagonal shaped rods which keep cups in place)

If you could replace the round vertical rods with hexagon shaped rods it will help, and be a better phone overall.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 32
honestly, i think the most forgiving secondary cans i have that are still fun and listenable are...the KSC-35.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 32
Comfort is an issue. I can wear my K1000's for hours with no discomfort. My limit with the 325i's is about an hour, then my ears need a little break. Their extra weight over my SR-125's (now sold) and SR-60's is noticable, but by no means a deal breaker. I don't mind the swiveling.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 32
Your versions of a 'good' can is my version of a bad can heh. If you want a forgiving grado, think about the sr225 with flats/vwaps or ps-1. The sr225 isn't all that smooth but its the least bright grado till you arrive at rs-1. Or go for some porta pros/ksc-35's.

Biggie.

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 32
More forgiving is not the same as dull, which is why I sold my HD-650's and HD-600's. They are unforgiving and they are also boring as s***.

Your kidding about the Koss, right? I'd just as well get some Bose headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Your kidding about the Koss, right? I'd just as well get some Bose headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

yikes
eek.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 32
Nothing wrong with Koss.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like the PortaPros.

As for K1000, I don't believe in getting another headphone which is "lesser" but complimentary. I just use a different system or setup for it which may not be as resolving or is forgiving in someway. I can never compromise on the headphone itself. I don't really believe in a better system making worst recordings sound worst. That just means to me you need to upgrade something in that system
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back