sr-225 used or new ms-1
Oct 1, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

technetium

100+ Head-Fier
Hey

Being new and all, I ask dumb questions.

Some guy close to where I live, want to sell his 2 year old sr-225 and a porta Corda III.
He is selling both for ~300$, remember I live in Denmark (EU) everything cost 3x as much than in the US.....
frown.gif
I´d like to live in the US with your low tax, cheap Grado, cheap cars and cheap gasoline!

But I can by the ms-1 including tax and all for ~200$

What to do????

I know my Beosound2 would really like the porta corda
biggrin.gif

Is there anything I should be aware of when buying these things???

Please Help, me being new and all
wink.gif

ps. which smiley is used for Grado? Or over ears like my a8 or ksc75

Oct 1, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
But I can by the ms-1 including tax and all for ~200$

How do you figure that?
MS1 is $100, shipping is free so all you have to pay is customs and taxes. How much is that in Denmark? Can't be 100%... My guess is it would still be below $150 if not closer to $125.

If the sr225s are in good condition I do not see why you wouldn't go for that deal with PCIII. $150 for a used sr225 in good conditions is a decent price and so is $150 for a PCIII. A very good price if you ask me. (This is all in $$ right?)

Also have a look at the anouncement about the HF-1 shown here on the site.

Are you sure you want Grados? What are you going to use them for? Music type? portable, home use etc?

Just so you know I haven't heard the SR225, PCIII or HF-1 but I can tell you that the MS1 is very nice for the money.

BTW,
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

-edit-
oops sorry, thought this was your first post but I saw you've been here for a couple of months already.

Oct 1, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
If the equipment is in good shape I would go for the SR225 and the PCIII.

x2

Oct 1, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 21
That was fast.. wowwww

well first of all I had heard that the shipping would cost ~25$ for the ms-1, but here in Denmark we pay approx. 40% tax including shipping, but usually we say multiply the figure in Dollars with ten and you have the price in Kroner including tax and shipping. And one Dollar is six Kroner, so well close
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know if Allesandro write the value of the things they ship on the box, because if they don´t, I could end up having paying ~100$ in fine, for the customs authorities opening the box and checking the insides value!

Well I listen to all sort of music, but mostly rock, and I know the sr-225 are really best with rock. But really don´t they sound good with all sort of music?
I think I will visit the seller and give them at gooooood listening.

Plus I think they have a certain cool factor
rolleyes.gif

Does a amp get worn, I mean the hardware itself?

Still are there anything I have to look for when buying these things used?

Thanks for the replies... already

Oct 1, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 21
Can't help you decide...

But if the Shipping for the $99 MS-1 would be $25 the final price would be:

$99 Headphones
$25 Shipping
Toll is 2 % on headphones = (99)*0.02= $1.98
"VAT"= 25% (shipping and product value) = ($99+$25)*0,25=$31
Post Denmark "trilletommelfingrebeløb" = $10 (even if toll was $0)
=$166.98
frown.gif
.. Yes Denmark sucks ...

An amp doesn't get worn-out, of cource after a long time it will fail (MTBF rating of components), but it will work for an extremely long time.

About the SR225, if he took care of it - i.e. don't listen to music at earbleedingly loud volume levels, put headphones down instead of throwing them onto the table etc. - there's nothing to worry about.
Ask him about how frequently they were used.
Make sure the metal adjustment mechanism isn't loose.

Oct 1, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
If the equipment is in good shape I would go for the SR225 and the PCIII.

icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 21
could you please update this thread after you get your cans? I'd like to know about the comfort and the sound of the 225. also, I'd like to know the difference between running it off an amp, and straight off a soundcard.
Thanks.
Btw I own the MS1
smily_headphones1.gif

I love them
eggosmile.gif
but I'm sure the 225 are definite step up.

Oct 2, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 21
MS1 shipped here to Finland is fairly 100EUR. So it should be about same when shipped to Denmark.

Oct 2, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

That was fast.. wowwww

well first of all I had heard that the shipping would cost ~25$ for the ms-1, but here in Denmark we pay approx. 40% tax including shipping, but usually we say multiply the figure in Dollars with ten and you have the price in Kroner including tax and shipping. And one Dollar is six Kroner, so well close
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know if Allesandro write the value of the things they ship on the box, because if they don´t, I could end up having paying ~100$ in fine, for the customs authorities opening the box and checking the insides value!

I still am amazed at the costs and problems our overseas HeadFi friends incur to reach cans bliss. I tip my hat to all of you, you are truley HeadFi!

Oct 4, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 21
Hey

Now I own a couple of sr-225... SWEET
lambda.gif

I also own a Porta corda.... SWEET
lambda.gif

I paid 250$, including some nice kabels, so i am happy... VERY HAPPY

But the earpads are a bit discolored, he had them hanging near the window for some time...
rolleyes.gif

So now I need some new, here in Denmark there is only one place I can buy them, and there they cost ~45$
So where can I get them online (best in EU)??? And which to get??? flat, bowl..?

I have used them shortly with my beosound2 without the Corda, and they sound...GOOD, them i tried with the Corda, and I don´t think I can hear the difference.
But I havent got the time to really listen to them (I work a lot for the time being
frown.gif
). And then I am new
icon10.gif
learn the force I must. Because Grado is a pathway, to many sonic capabilityes some might consider to be, unnatural. (someone in here said that, I just steal)

Oct 4, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

I have used them shortly with my beosound2 without the Corda, and they sound...GOOD, them i tried with the Corda, and I don´t think I can hear the difference.

Congratulations!

There was an interesting thread in the amp forum some time ago about listening with an amp. Ahhh, here it is: telling the difference

I still consider myself quite a noob at all this (I now own three headphone amps, 4 pairs of what I consider good cans, and I've upgraded 2 sources, all since diving into this community around June or July), but I now think I can hear the difference between amped and unamped with my Grado SR-80s. But here's the thing: They still sound Great without an amp! So it's not a night & day difference; it's subtle, at least most of the time.

I did have to really work on critical listening skills (still working ot it, actually) before I could really appreciate the benefits of amping these cans. I do think the difference is less pronounced with the Grados than with the Sennheisers (HD-580) or Etys (ER6i). That's a good thing, of course -- it means the Grados are easy to drive & respond well even without the extra expense and hassle of using an amp. At a desktop computer (with the Chaintech AV-710 soundcard), I use an amp all the time. With portable equipment, it's only a sometimes thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back