SR-125 vs. MS-1: did I pay too much?
Jun 16, 2005 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Just reading about the MS-1's and think I may have purchased my SR-125's too early (i.e. - didn't research well enough). I listen to Jazz, Classical, Pop, rock, and acoustica. Did I make a mistake? Should I bother selling my 125's on ebay and switching to the MS-1?

Thanks for the feedback.

Oriel

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
have you listened to the ms1's? how do they fancy you?

Just going from what I've seen on the forums here... no experience in hearing them... I just didn't know about them until recently is all, and people are raving about them....

O

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm relatively new to this forum and headphones, in general. In following the fora and the For Sale ads, I've come to a few conclusions:

1.Hearing and taste in audio equipment is highly individual. One person's audio nirvana may not be another's cup of tea, to mix a metaphor or two.

2. There is no substitute for you hearing the headphone in question in your system with your music.

3. It's hard to test phones before you buy unless you go to meets, etc and there is only so much you can get from reading and enjoying/dissenting in the fora.

4. You see so many headphones for sale either because a person buys without hearing, hears, but over time discovers that the particular headphone in question does not wear well, or they want to upgrade. In any event, there are many phones available for a reasonable price. Once a new headphone is purchased, it is "used" and the original purchaser typically takes a loss on it. Once something is bought used, it's value, if it stays in good condition, does not decrease much in value. The lesson, of course, is to buy used and try a particular phone. If you like it, Great! If not, sell it for a minimal loss. In the end, you can usually find what you want at a reasonable price if you are patient, try it, and keep or sell it, and get out financially unscathed....almost.

5. Bottom line...Try the phones you want.

6. I try to do this and it seems to have worked fairly well. There are so many varieties to taste and enjoy!

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Since the MS-1 is based on the SR125, it should be close enough in presentation that it wouldn't make a HUGE diff, as in, requiring you to sell one and get the other, if you already have one.

Don't sell the SR125 at a loss to get a MS-1. I'd only get rid of the SR125 if you hate the sound (in which case you probably won't like the MS-1 either) or you want to upgrade (in which case the MS-1 is too close to upgrade, I'd say the next step is a MS-2/SR325).

Finally, Listen to that can for 40-50 hours nonstop. Once that can has sound pushed through it for a minimum of 40 hours, it should start to open up and sound like the can it can be.

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 19
if you havent heard the ms1's yet, just enjoy the 125's you will be receiving. Jahn's advice is very good, just enjoy the music and dont read too much into what you see here, the 125's are good cans and you should spend some time with them to really get to know them

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks to my two previous posters for their lucid and helpful comments. With the exception of the pads (living in Canada I can't easily get the 414 pads,
rolleyes.gif
) however, with the exception of the below average comfort, I love these cans and I drive them mainly with my iPod! I think that considering the price difference b/w the Alessandros and the Grados, that I will get the MS-2's or the MS woodies when the time is right. But from what I'm hearing, the Grados are better across the board, at least by a little. Is that a fair assumption?

O

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 19
I still don't believe (I could be wrong) that there is any official confirmation that the MS-1s are tweaked SR125s. Everything about the alessando pricing structure leads me to believe that they're based on the SR80s.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 19
yeah, i also remember the ms1 are based on the sr80.

the sr125 is the same as the sr225 (with sr225 has a different grill), making the sr125 a terrific deal. they have (i've read) comparable mids with the rs1.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
yeah, i also remember the ms1 are based on the sr80.

the sr125 is the same as the sr225 (with sr225 has a different grill), making the sr125 a terrific deal. they have (i've read) comparable mids with the rs1.

And the SR80 is a SR225 with different voice coil copper, making a SR80 a fantastic deal. The differences in the construction of the various 60/80/125/225 is just a tweak here and there, but there are noticeable differences in the sound as you move up the line. The SR60/80's (depending on whether you prefer the comfy or bowl sound) are still the best value IMO, the Grado signature sound at a Kraft Dinner price.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 19
i went back as far as i could-

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...125+analytical

which even references a comparison on headwize. Grado never ever comes out and says it's a SR125, but he never comes out and says it's a modded SR80 either. Someone might be able to find out more in a seach - i DO recall someone at some point asking which Alessandro can correlates to which Grado, and John said the SR125 to the MS-1...but i have no proof...

Jun 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 19
yeah..the effects of MS1 vs sr125 is at best subtle and the effects of going up the food chain is once again subtle and the difference gets diminishily smaller as you clime up. Admittently on a VERY WELL recorded CD you can tell the difference between sr125 and say sr325i immediatly IF you know what you are listening for and the cricial listening skill takes time to develop. So if you are just starting out and have not learned how to listen critically, it aint' gonna make a difference. I spend about an hour every day critically listening to my 325i and certainly appreciate all the improvements over my sr80 but at night when I am sleeping in bed I have my sr80 on and if I don't listening critically I can hardly tell the difference.

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I still don't believe (I could be wrong) that there is any official confirmation that the MS-1s are tweaked SR125s. Everything about the alessando pricing structure leads me to believe that they're based on the SR80s.

However, the only Grado 'phones that feature the UHPLC voice coil are the SR125 and above. This fact alone lends credence to the fact that the MS1 is probably a modified SR125.

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Since the MS-1 is based on the SR125, it should be close enough in presentation that it wouldn't make a HUGE diff, as in, requiring you to sell one and get the other, if you already have one.

Don't sell the SR125 at a loss to get a MS-1. I'd only get rid of the SR125 if you hate the sound (in which case you probably won't like the MS-1 either) or you want to upgrade (in which case the MS-1 is too close to upgrade, I'd say the next step is a MS-2/SR325).

Finally, Listen to that can for 40-50 hours nonstop. Once that can has sound pushed through it for a minimum of 40 hours, it should start to open up and sound like the can it can be.

good advice ^
I concur. Enjoy your 125's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back