SR-100 with HP1000 drivers: questions. + First & Second impressions.
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
Screw HD800!

And I put my money for HP1000 journey.

Now, the ones I am getting have unlettered MS2 cups. So here are questions... I searched the forum but I want some clear answers.

1.) How's SR100 with original plastic cups compared with HP-1/2/3? How about with aluminum cups like MS2?

2.) Regarding no.1 question, is this worth to hunt for HP-1/2/3 frame? (I mean, there should be some people who have HP series with blown drivers...)

Impressions:

OK, now they have arrived.

I am not happy about them.

See, the bass is a bit overpowering sometimes (well, too much impacts) Well, they sound pretty tight, but I'd say too much quantity (but not as bassy as some of bassist Grado's I've heard)

*Edit: with less-clamping MS-2 frame, this overpowering bass is gone. Now bass is very clean and tight.

And I just don't hear the detail everyone is talking about. They are just another fine Grado, for me. Against HD650, K701 or my other reference cans, like any other Grados I've heard so far, HP1000s don't do well.

At Last, the biggest problem, is soundstage.

Like other Grados, soundstage is pitifully small and I can't stand this (and I doubt this would change if I put them on HP-2 frame.) I understand all Grados other than GS-1000 and PS-1000 would not bring great soundstage, but I wouldn't thought that these bring exactly same bad soundstage I have heard from other grados.

Because of this, whole sound is completely congested and makes me really, really tired (probably because I am trying to hear the details from the congested sound) to listen.

Now, positive things. They are really great for rock (due to powerful bass) and unlike other Grados, the bass is 'real' bass (not silly mid-bass bump)

These cans are indeed evidence that bass can be powerful AND detailed (well, besides just 'too much') At least bass quality is quite good while as powerful as D5000.

And there are no lame colorations in mids and highs I heard from other Grados. And they are not so fatigue as other Grados..... High is just right and I would not welcome any further strength in this area.

These cans may be better than other Grados I've heard/owned/have now but I won't say they are any better than other cans I have.

Well, my opinion may be changed as time goes but well.....

Still critically listening...

*The sound changed A LOT after I managed to reduce clamping force.

Second Impression:

With bass being clear and tight thanks to redced clamping force, the whole sound got airer and brighter.

Now it is more of Grado version of AKG K701.... only with slightly more impactful bass, strong mids and not too much high.

Again, little coloration or whatsoever other than obvious emphasis on high.... now it is fatiguing... but not as much as SA3000 and/or K701.

Overall I think they are indeed superior Grado and the best Grado I've ever heard.... but whether they are best among my other cans, the question remains.

Soundstage is still pitifully small. Big problem here.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 48
You could try asking Larry at headphile if he'd sell the housings from the Hp-1000 headphones he removed the drivers from to create his frankenphones. Mercuttio tried to do it after he bought one of those creations and couldn't believe how ruinously awful it sounded and wanted to restore the HP-1000 to what it was.

I understand Larry wasn't having any of it. Can't have been nice the idea of someone undoing one of his artworks because he thinks it sounds like crap.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 48
That's great idea! Why I could not think Larry's strange creations.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 48
You should try PMing Killercrush, he's one of the very few who've tried to put HP1000 drivers in SR-325 cups. You can also check impressions threads from our Montreal meets, there are a couple of opinions in there:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/mo...ssions-307433/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/mo...8-08-a-354625/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/mo...ssions-373513/

IMO, the HP1000/SR-325 hybrid sounded very good and not too far from the original sound. On the other hand, you can buy electrostats starting at 1/4 the cost of HP1000 drivers (SR-202) that will blow away the Grados (to my ears at least).

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the HP1000/SR-325 hybrid sounded very good and not too far from the original sound. On the other hand, you can buy electrostats starting at 1/4 the cost of HP1000 drivers (SR-202) that will blow away the Grados (to my ears at least).

I prefer my HP-1000s to the O2, so how you like me now
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer my HP-1000s to the O2, so how you like me now
tongue.gif

I respect your opinion as you're one of the guys here who usually write thoughtful posts.
cool.gif

I can also see why some people would prefer dynamic headphones to electrostatics, but for the characteristics I'm looking and to my ears, electrostats are simply superior. I actually miss my O2 very much, but the ESP/950 that I have right now do the job quite well.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 48
Why the downgrade?

I actually like the Lambda sound signature better than the O2. I wish Stax could have made an O2 level lambda. I'd definately be on board with that.

Don't get me wrong I love stats and their sound, but the HP-1000 is pretty amazing and at least on the same level.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Why the downgrade?

Speaker-related purchases.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I actually like the Lambda sound signature better than the O2. I wish Stax could have made an O2 level lambda. I'd definately be on board with that.

Did you ever try Koss ESP950 with a good amp? I prefer their sound to all the Lambdas I've heard (SR-202, SR-404, Signature), it's very fast, upfront and dynamic. The O2 is smoother and a tad more refined, but I'd be tempted to say that the Koss stats might sound better to a Grado guy than the O2.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I love stats and their sound, but the HP-1000 is pretty amazing and at least on the same level.

I agree it's a great can, one of the better dynamic headphones I've heard, but it lacks two important things for me: soundstage and airiness/transparency (compared to stats). Other than that, there's not much to complain about and the mids are really special.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Speaker-related purchases.
biggrin.gif

Well worth it then
wink.gif

Quote:

Did you ever try Koss ESP950 with a good amp? I prefer their sound to all the Lambdas I've heard (SR-202, SR-404, Signature), it's very fast, upfront and dynamic. The O2 is smoother and a tad more refined, but I'd be tempted to say that the Koss stats might sound better to a Grado guy than the O2..

No - but I was very intersted at some point when a couple of people pointed out that it betters the Lambdas when paired with a Stax amp.

I think I would definately like them from what I've read so far.

Quote:

I agree it's a great can, one of the better dynamic headphones I've heard, but it lacks two important things for me: soundstage and airiness/transparency (compared to stats). Other than that, there's not much to complain about and the mids are really special.

I'd have to agree, but that's the case with any dynamics compared to stats - they imagine very well (HE-90 is the King for that), it's the other apsects of stats that keep me coming back to dynamics...

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try asking Larry at headphile if he'd sell the housings from the Hp-1000 headphones he removed the drivers from to create his frankenphones. Mercuttio tried to do it after he bought one of those creations and couldn't believe how ruinously awful it sounded and wanted to restore the HP-1000 to what it was.

I understand Larry wasn't having any of it. Can't have been nice the idea of someone undoing one of his artworks because he thinks it sounds like crap.

A turd is still a turd even if it's art.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 48
Funny, Larry does not seem to want to sell those frames to me...

Well, it is official WTB: Joe Grado HP-2/3 driverless frames.... it will be in my signature.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 48
Well, it is not like I really want frames (and there is high chance of selling those back anyway, since I am not really fond of Grado sound in the first place.... I am doing/buying these for curiosity)

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 48
Well, they are coming and I will do some critical listen during the weekend (if they arrive tomorrow.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back