SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #166 of 191

My experience also has been that the SR-009 are technically better than the SR-007mk1 - the 009 certainly provide an increased level of clarity and a larger soundstage.

However, the 009 are more fatiguing than the 007mk1, particularly if you listen somewhat loud. The 007mk1 strike an almost ideal balance where they are relatively easy to listen to even with music with a lot of treble, without losing too much in detail, clarity and soundstage.

The LCD-3 have the opposite problem where they are too dark and sacrifice too much in treble detail (plus the heavy bass becomes fatiguing too when listening to music which is rich in bass).

I find the SR-009 less fatiguing on the (unmodded) SRM-727A than on the KGSS, while still maintaining their strengths. The SR-007mk1, on the other hand, work better for me on the KGSS.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #167 of 191

Quote:
 We also have tried the 507 and HE60 but those could not match the phones that we just mentioned.

From several threads I got the impression that the SR009 may not perform very well with strong SS amplifier or even BHSE but more suitable to the Stax 007t.  

I'm really surprised you did not rate the Sennheiser HE60 in comparison to the 007.  I agree they are not quite up with 007 in some areas but they are IMHO still really great headphones.  The presentation is different and brighter, but a close second to the bigger Orpheus with the right amplifier.

I have used 007t in the past with the SR 007 MK1 and found it quite dark so I can understand why it might be a good choice to balance off the brightness of the 009.  However; I still think you will loose a lot in terms of bass impact, dynamics and refinement when compared to the BHSE/T2.  When I got my T2 it completely transformed the 007's.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #168 of 191

Quote:
Perhaps if the Stax SR009s were priced a couple of thousand dollars less they might be a better deal as there isn't much of a sound improvement at all between it and the SR007s.  People who are selling their HE90s and have jacked up there prices to almost double and trip the original price have no ethics.  I have seen the HE 90 combo on sale or as high as $30,000 when they only paid $12,000 to $14,000 for it originally. Although I have many of the new Stax headphones, the old pro Stax headphones are just smoother, cleaner and cheaper to obtain.

Yes I particularly like the Lambda Nova Signature and of course the Sigmas, even though they make you look like a tw**t when you wear them. The people with the high priced HE90's never sell them at that stupid price, but do encourage others to ask the same.  There have been some on eBay and Audiogon for months and months but will stay there until they reduce the price to within reason!

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #169 of 191

Quote:
Some have concerns about the drivers of R10's, SR Omega's  or HE90's but that occurred much later than the SR009 which resurfaced within
less than one month.

At least Sennheiser in Germany will still service and repair the HE90/HEV90 & HE60/HEV70 at reasonable cost, including the drivers.
I wanted to obtain some spare Stax 007 drivers for my 007's but they wanted Euro 1250 for them!  

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #171 of 191

Quote:
I've heard some really bad things about the repair work at Senn USA. :frowning2:

I have had good dealings with Senn USA.I had them replace drivers in one of my HE90s before I sold them.
They also went over Wavomans HEV90/HE90 setup when he first bought it. You just need to speak to the right people.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #173 of 191
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #174 of 191
To get back to the 009s & O2s, I also find the 009s exciting for what they can do but too bright (using a DIY EL34 amp). As Spritzer said, it's less of a problem with well recorded material at lower volumes, but if the recording is bright to begin with it can be painful to listen at realistic levels, and even good recordings of acoustic music don't sound quite right. Not that the O2s are any more accurate in terms of FR, but they are more pleasant for their lovely mids and somewhat rolled off highs. What I'm wondering about is the bass. The O2 bass, even on this amp, can be a little bloated sounding. The 009 bass is very tight and detailed, but is there quite enough of it? (Till Hertsens didn't think so.) I'm also left with the impression that these phones somehow lack natural warmth. This could be a lower-mids thing more than upper bass, I don't really know, and it could be at least partly psychoacoustic, given their brightness.

Anyone have any suggestions about tube-rolling that might tame the highs a bit without sacrificing resolution? Currently using Sovtek EL34s and Amperex or Telefunken 6DJ8s.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #175 of 191
Anyone have any suggestions about tube-rolling that might tame the highs a bit without sacrificing resolution? Currently using Sovtek EL34s and Amperex or Telefunken 6DJ8s.

Mullard xf2 &Mullard nos 6dj8s or pc88s if the amp can handle them

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #176 of 191
I'd like to add my 2 cents.  I have recently compared my HE-90 to my Stax 009. I can do a good A/B comparison because of a y-splitter I use (Moon Audio). The integrated amp I use is based on the Sophia Princess 300B hybrid tube and the signal is converted to push pull to drive the phones. It has enough juice to drive both phones to ear shattering levels at the same time. I am not an engineer, so I may be off a bit in the description (From what I understand, the amp was quite a task, but is simply fabulous sounding). Nonetheless, I do prefer the HE-90's for a more 'cohesive' sound in that they are not as 'forward' as the Stax; but these are quibbles, really. The Stax 009 are world class performers, and do almost everything better than any other headphone I've heard,  I could easily be happy with them. And I am.

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #177 of 191
I do think the SR-009 is a stunning transducer but not without issues.  What I will be looking into is perhaps the need for "synergistic" amplification such as the HE90 requires.  Sennheiser used cheaper parts in the HEV90 on purpose (polyester coupling caps etc.) as that's just what works with those transducers.  Not ideal but worth a look. 

I'm also working on a SET 300B amp to drive electrostatics but this would be a much better fit IMO for the HE90's than any Stax.  The 300B's are limited in voltage and power so the only way to get acceptable low distortion power levels is to use a higher ratio transformer but that is always a loose-loose situation.  I'm going to finish my DIY HE90's in the new year so I'll be able to compare it directly. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #178 of 191
spritzer, is there any possibility to modify the BHSE to get better synergy with the SR-009? I am very satisfied with BHSE/O2 so it is more a theoretical question, or for future relapse into upgraditis. With regard to present information, I would not buy the SR-009 without listening first. In a long perspective, it seems to be a good option for compensating for hearing loss due to age.
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #180 of 191
I don't know if this is relevant to your point, and I must add I a not an engineer, but the Stax is easier to drive than the HE-90's with my amp, ie louder sooner. The hybrid 300 B's and the HE-90's are audio heaven for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back