SqueezePad - the dedicated Squeezebox controller for the iPad
Aug 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nathan_h

Head-Fier
One of the things that sets systems like Sooloos or Sonos apart from the Squeezebox environment is a better user interface, especially if one doesn't want to use a computer.   There is the dedicated LCD remote that Logitech makes that is pretty nice, but it's a couple hundred bucks, and has a tiny screen.

There have been a couple of iPhone apps that are good.  iPeng is one.  But with the arrival of the iPad, the opportunities for a super nice, super easy, uncluttered controller have been greatly expanded.

And the news is good.  For ten bucks, the new Squeezepad app is really really nice.  I use it as my exclusive control for an ecosystem consisting of a SB3, two of the headless units, a Boom, and a slave software emulation on a PC.  

If you have a squeezebox and ipad and want a great remote control, I recommend it.  Here is what I wrote in my review:

"I have friends who have spent hundreds of dollars on fancy controllers and servers for their music collection. I went the simple and thrifty route, and set up a system basic on the logitech / squeezebox / slimdevices environment. If you have a squeezebox, even if you have the duet controller, you owe it to yourself to buy this app!

Giant cover art, easy browsing and searching, great support for plug ins. This thing is the life of the party. For $10 you are getting an interface similar to the thousand dollar Sooloos interface, or the several hundred dollar Sonos interface except, wait, this one is better. Unlike Sonos, this controls a more open system, with a bigger screen and easier interface. Unlike Sooloos, this one can move around the house with you. (Yes I know you can add a ipad app to the Sooloos and Sonoa if you have already spent the hundreds or thousdands on their system. Remember, this app is $10!)

I've been struggling using the web interface to control my squeezeboxes. And I've been struggling with pixel doubling the iphone version of ipeng. Box work sort of. But SqueezePad is faster, more reliable and looks better than those apps.

What's missing? Well, a more advanced robust search option would be great. A pure cover flow option would be nice. But really, most of what is already enabled on the server works in this snappy app. And it works fast and looks much better than any SB world alternative. 

This is the new king on the block and the one to beat! Buy it before the secret gets out and the developer realizes he could charge $30 for it :)"

Here are some of the official screen shots from the app description.  Note that the one problem with the UI is a learning curve piece:  To get back out to the main menu on the left you have to swipe along the top of the menu.  There is no home button and swiping any place other than the top of the menu on the left doesn't work.  This isn't a bad system but it took me a minute to figure it out.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 18
The Touch is very nice.  

With an iPad controller, I can remotely control any of the squeezeboxes in my house, including those in a gear closet or behind a rack or on a shelf, without leaving the couch or deck chair, with a nice big graphical interface.  I have two squeezboxes feeding my backyard speakers and this lets me balance the volume so that I can hear the right amount of each one, no matter where we are hanging out in the yard -- without running back to the house or garage or shed to adjust volume at the source.

Of course, iPeng allows for that kind of convenience, but I don't find the interface as inviting in its 2x pixel state.

It will be real interesting when iPeng releases the dedicated controller software customized exclusively for the iPad.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 18
But what if it's connected via wireless? :p It does still require a power cord at the very least though. I'll stop the OT talk now since I don't even have an ipad . Apologies for the derailment :)

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 18
Ha, yes, power cord.... and audio cord, either digital or analog right?  Or I guess you could use a Touch just as a controller and not bother with the audio output from it.  Of course, then you might prefer the cool little Duet remote....  

....or a remote app on your iPhone or iPad or your Android device.  

L3000.gif

Ah, back on topic.  I think they are not mutually exclusive, but can be part of one ecosystem.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 18
I had no idea this existed - thank you for starting this thread! I have an iPad, but have been on the fence about a server. This might push me over the edge for buying a Squeezebox. The Sooloos and others are wonderful, but I haven't been inclined to drop the cash. But this looks perfect and the price is right.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Ah true indeed, when you said system I was thinking of the data infrastructure. Didn't realize they came out with an android app, I'll have to look into that. I also have a Nokia 770 that I use for remote duties but I mostly keep the Touch close by.

Quote:
Ha, yes, power cord.... and audio cord, either digital or analog right?  Or I guess you could use a Touch just as a controller and not bother with the audio output from it.  Of course, then you might prefer the cool little Duet remote....  

....or a remote app on your iPhone or iPad or your Android device.  

L3000.gif

Ah, back on topic.  I think they are not mutually exclusive, but can be part of one ecosystem.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 18
Does developer offer free updates as fixes and newer revisions are released?

Also, is this polished, stable product, or buggy beta type release (I use Logitech Transporter and Slim Server is on a Windows Home Server computer)?

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 18
So far the updates have been free. The "bugs" have mostly been features people wanted added, which were so far free of charge, like authentication. I havent got a lot of plug ins though and every system is different so ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back