Squeezebox/Transporter question
Apr 24, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I need now, is a wholesale amount of new compression-less files.

You can find links to legal, lossless, FLAC files here

The contents of your iRiver would be a start
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 164
I have 3 SB3s and a Transporter. My advice is that if you already have a really great DAC, then the SB3 will probably work for you. If you don't, I would highly recommend the Transporter (esp. if you have a balanced system). I use a Transporter as the primary source for my Headroom Max Balanced Amp -- it's a wonderful combination.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 164
P.S. For Internet streaming, check out the AACPlus streams listed at www.tuner2.com. Even at half the bandwidth, the AACPlus streams sound significantly better than MP3 streams. You'll need to install the mplayer plugin to get this working with an SB3.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #34 of 164
Last night I hooked it up (using my Iriver contents...thanks Grahame). I had no problems connecting to my wireless network and inputting settings, but the Slimserver software keeps locking up (opening to a partially blank, minimize IE screen), and the one time it did open, I got a "box is disconected message". It also showed 3 songs (that must have come with XP), even though I linked it to the directory with all of my tunes.

On the Squeezebox, it kept saying "connecting to Slimserver, but never moved on from there.

P.S.- I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the software. It is the newest version from the website.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #35 of 164
Quote:

Last night I hooked it up (using my Iriver contents...thanks Grahame). I had no problems connecting to my wireless network and inputting settings, but the Slimserver software keeps locking up (opening to a partially blank, minimize IE screen), and the one time it did open, I got a "box is disconected message". It also showed 3 songs (that must have come with XP), even though I linked it to the directory with all of my tunes.

On the Squeezebox, it kept saying "connecting to Slimserver, but never moved on from there.

P.S.- I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the software. It is the newest version from the website.

Sorry to hear of the troubles. Not to sound like a person who enjoys hearing about another posters problems, but I've found that I learn a lot from the experiences of others so please keep us posted on your install/connection issues and any solutions you find.

At this point, I'm in the process of adding a Slingbox and Slinglink Turbo to my home network. From my research, it appears getting that added and up/running is priority #1 as I'll probably connect the SB3 to the Slinglink Turbo unit. Don't want to toss both into the network at the same time for fear of really mucking up the whole thing and not knowing where the issue really lies. That will give me the chance to follow your experiences and prepare for my install. Keep us posted!!

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #36 of 164
I am getting "Player not Found" on the Slimserver when it does occasionally open up without locking. Interesting thing is that I am able to play internet radio on the server which confirms wireless connectivity to my network, but the Slimserver software and the Squeezebox are not talking to each other. I've searched all FAQ's on their site and forums, and they have solutions for this exact problem, but none of them are the answer.
Another thing is, that when I use the uninstall program, it does not remove the directory in Explorer and when I manually try to do it, it won't let me.
confused.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #37 of 164
If you can't delete that directory manually, it usually means some windows program still has its grubby little hands on it. Have you checked task manager to see if perhaps IE is not closing? Or maybe windows can't close the Slimserver program and you have to force quit it? Do you have the latest version of IE?? Several folks have complained about the new IE being buggy. No surprise there huh?

How about the firewall? You probably use a software firewall instead of the one that came with windows like most folks but many wireless routers also have firewalls as well as DSL modems. Does the Slimserver software recommend opening any specific ports or did it pretty much do a auto install?

The problem is likely staring us in the face. I haven't installed the software yet as I'm waiting on my Slingbox/Slinglink to arrive. It's recommended that I get that installed and put the SB3 into one of the ports of the Slinglink Turbo unit so I'm in a waiting mode.

I'd start with taking a look at task manager and seeing what's open that should be closed. I'll bet IE is still open or the Slim software isn't closing. I think getting that directory deleted as part of an uninstall/reinstall might cure your problems. Double check those firewalls though and make sure you've got the ports required by the software open to it.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #38 of 164
Thanks for your help. It worked when I disabled the Firewall but I could not get it to work with my Firewall on, even though I entered the 2 ports (9000 and 3483) as allowable exceptions.

Then I tried to enter the ports as allowable as both an "in" port and an "out" port (six ports in all) and then it worked.
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now how does it sound?
biggrin.gif

I am using .flac files through a MicroDac into my McIntosh pre and then my Cary amp and it sounds the same as the CD's.

Using uncompressed files, through an external DAC and amp should sound close to the originals, otherwise something would be wrong, no?

What amazes me, is the access speed and the ability to manipulate your choices through the server and the computer with equal ease.
A battery powered option would be nice to avoid being tethered to an outlet.

The internet radio leaves a lot to be desired, however. Music Choice digital music through the same system sounds a lot better.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #41 of 164
Quote:

A battery powered option would be nice to avoid being tethered to an outlet.

I'm a bit confused. You can use the sb3's remote to access any music in your sb's directory. It does take multiple button pushes , granted, but it's easily doable.

Bazile

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 164
Not only that, but besides using it with my main speaker rig 80% of the time, I'd like to be able to pick it up and have it along my bedside rig and sit on my front step with it without needing to be tethered to an outlet. Not only with headphones directly out of the back, but also through the optical, a MicroDac, and any small amp.

Thanks Dimi.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #44 of 164
Quote:

Not only that, but besides using it with my main speaker rig 80% of the time, I'd like to be able to pick it up and have it along my bedside rig and sit on my front step with it without needing to be tethered to an outlet. Not only with headphones directly out of the back, but also through the optical, a MicroDac, and any small amp.

Thanks Dimi.

Aaron,

I believe that you've just stumbled upon a nice idea for a future piece of audio equipment. The portable Squeezebox/headphone amp/preamp unit. Headroom could probably pull it off. Take a Desktop portable amp/DAC and just add the Squeezebox's network and dislay hardware. As soon as there's a market for such a device someone will build it and try to sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back