Squeezebox Touch or iPod + Fiio E7 or Cowon D2+
Oct 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gauss1777

Head-Fier
I'm just starting to be interested in the world of more detailed music. I've just got some HD555 headphones and sound nice when I max volume on my htc cellphone. I got this phones mainly for my job, maybe I'll get something better later for home. I'm restricted at my job, I cannot use the USB port so just to get something like a Fiio E7 or other DAC/AMP to improve the sound is not possible, I also need a player to stop using grooveshark.

The question would be, what would be better overall as source for HD555? I want to spend no more than $350. The priority points would be in this order:
- Music quality source. What DAC would be better? Also which Amp on those devices? Any other option?
- Amp for the phones, something that doesn't make the sound of the HD555 warmer. With a little more precise bass and if possible better separation for instruments. If I can drive the phones at low volume while keeping better definition and clean music would be nice!
- Storage capacity
- support for FLAC or other lossless formats
- support for video is not important

An iPod Classic 160GB looks attractive, I would also get the LOD cable and a Fiio E7 to get the full chain to the phones. I see here the advantage that I would also have enough space for all my music but the disadvantage of no FLAC.

The other option is a Squeezebox Touch, it's hard to get but this little device is damn attractive and versatile to my like. I don't know how much space is in this device but I would only get this and no amp, I think the output should be enough for the HD555.

Other option I was considering is a Cowon D2+, FLAC support and a powerful output should be enough, I don't see here the need of an amp. Or is there any cheaper portable media player with FLAC support and dedicated line out (for the Fiio E7) or better amped output for the HD555?

Don't tell me to change the cans by now please LOL. I just want to stop using grooveshark as my source and the integrated audio of my PC at work.

Thanks!

...BTW Ayreon rocks on good cans!!!

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I own a Squeezebox Touch, and I am very familiar with what it's strengths and weaknesses are. But how it operates as a headphone source I have not tried as yet. The best way to use the Touch is to run the server software on a separate computer. The FLAC (and other type) files will live on this computer as the Touch has no storage built in. It does have a memory card slot that can be used with the built-in server applet, but many folks have struggled to make this work. It also has a USB port that theoretically can be used to attach an external hard drive that can be used with the built in mini server applet. It sounds like most people who try to make this work fail and are most unhappy with the whole process. Of course some folks get it working just fine and wonder what all the fuss is about. My guess is the Touch is weak on the built in server applet, and strong when used with an external server feeding an external DAC. The built in DAC is swell, but everyone wants to use a better DAC. I myself feed the Touch to my Anthem Statement D2. (which has swell DACs). I am very happy using the external server and I love the sound and useful features of the Touch. I've never stuck a headphone in it, I will try this when I get back home Sunday. BTW, I have a 3rd generation Squeezebox that I use at my lake place. Even that is a sweet device when used with an external DAC. I've spent at least 4 hours listening to that today alone

I have a Gen 5.5 IPod which sounds swell, not great but it is much better than my 6th Gen IPod which distorts by default, although it does have a 160 GB drive (so you can distort a lot of music). Last week I picked up a 7th Gen 160 GB IPod and when pushed a little it sounds much better to my ears than either the 5.5 or 6th Gen. I am waiting for my Piio E7 and E1 to arrive. I already have the P3 LOI. I am looking forward to these things arriving. I listen with Shure e530 and Koss Portapro Anniversary Edition headphones. I also have Etymotic 4P headphones with the accessory 4P to 4S cable converter. I haven't used the 4 P headphones since getting the Shure headphones.

I think maybe you are on the right track, but I don't think the Touch is for you. Too bad, it's a sweet device at a great price. I'd like to try a Cowon player myself. So yeah, I'm no help at all. You are most welcome.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks aangen. Actually you did really help me! I think the squeezybox it's not for me. It's useless to have a mini music server that only serve as a bridge of the actual file server. I think I better find a portable player that has enough storage, nice DAC and line out, maybe the ipod, but I don't like them, it's a pain to always have to use sync software.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 5
One week ago I purchased Squeezebox Touch to replace Apple Airport Express for music streaming through WiFi network from latest iMac to Meier Audio's StageDAC DAC (this excellent DAC does not work with Airport Express very well) . Though the Squeezebox Touch required network connection for initial configuration but it can work as independent portable music player as well with external USB drive or SD/HCSD/XCSD memory card.

I use a 8 GB SanDisk HCSD memory card as local storage without any network connection while playing music without any issue. Right now the biggest capacity of HCSD memory card I could find is 32 GB. All I have to do is to insert the memory card into built-in card reader of iMac and transfer all songs for selected album/artist/genres/playlist in iTunes through free utility iTuneMyWalkman into the memory card (you can also just drag all song files from computer to mounted memory card without using any utility). Insert the memory card into card slot of Squeezebox Touch and make sure local Squeezebox server is running and all is done. Patient is required (the server take time to scan/index lot of song files 550 in my case) to explore available options on the Squeezebox Touch to make it work to your requirements. When it work you will not be disappointed with the sound quality (even with home audio system).

The built-in DAC is definitely much better than the one built into iPod and it can handle up to 96kHz/24bit high resolution music files (there is no reason for Logitech to integrate such DAC with a low grade headphone amplifier). It come with a responsive touch screen and running on standard Unix operating system (Linux ?) which allows remote login and tweaking (I disable all analog features for slightly better sound). As how the built-in headphone amplifier perform I have no idea as I have never use the headphone output. But I have read good reviews in Internet related to the headphone output before making purchase, just do a google search with key word "Squeezebox Touch review".

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 5
I don't agree that Squeezebox Touch built-in DAC is better than iPod's DAC. In my opinion, in some areas it is better, but in some iPod's better.

I have both the Squeezebox Touch and iPod 5.5G and use them as a source (thru headphone amp) for my Audio-Technica W5000 headphones.

I have to admit the DAC in Squeezebox is much more detailed than iPod's DAC and it sounds more high-end. However the Touch's DAC produces sound that is quite flat, missing depth of soundstage and has poor dynamics. My old iPod's DAC is much better is this regard, and in general it's more involving/better in conveying emotions from the music. This is why I temporarily switched from my new Touch to my old iPod, until I find a good external DAC for the Squeezebox (then it will be great as the digital output from the Touch is supposed to be great:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back