Squeezebox Touch Equivalent
May 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #46 of 60

Olve One are already shipping to the backers but I think it's worth the wait..All your requirements are met except for the DSD.

you may check some pics here posted by a backer who got his unit

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/audiofx1/media/ONE/IMG_2652_zps2fee8ec3.jpg.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124354637@N06/sets/72157644552353181/

I've just checked it out and it does have some merit - it certainly looks great - BUT it seems to be wireless, which is fine if you have a Wi-Fi set-up but I want to connect the device to my old-fashioned stereo preamp and I can't see how that's possible. I also want to use the portable hard drives I already have which have WAV and FLAC music on them and I can't see how that's possible either. I can probably live without DSD but it would be nice, all the same.

May 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #47 of 60

I've just checked it out and it does have some merit - it certainly looks great - BUT it seems to be wireless, which is fine if you have a Wi-Fi set-up but I want to connect the device to my old-fashioned stereo preamp and I can't see how that's possible. I also want to use the portable hard drives I already have which have WAV and FLAC music on them and I can't see how that's possible either. I can probably live without DSD but it would be nice, all the same.

It has a line out for your amp via a 3.5mm jack (the 3.5mm to RCA are provided), a digital out for your external dac, it has a LAN and Wifi connection which you can access your music on your network..you can put a 2.5" hard disk drive..but at this point you cannot connect portable hard disk..maybe in the future since it has a USB port..anyway just letting you know about it.

May 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #48 of 60
  It has a line out for your amp via a 3.5mm jack (the 3.5mm to RCA are provided), a digital out for your external dac, it has a LAN and Wifi connection which you can access your music on your network..you can put a 2.5" hard disk drive..but at this point you cannot connect portable hard disk..maybe in the future since it has a USB port..anyway just letting you know about it.

Thanks again for the additional info. Having the ability to connect portable hard drives to a device is important to me as it means that (a) I have immediate access to much more storage on an ongoing basis and (b) I don't have to copy files across to some other drive in order for the files to be accessible. At least, that's the theory.

The analogue output is nice to know, however.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #49 of 60
Does anyone know of anyway to just 'roll your own' squeezebox type system with old android / iPhone devices?  Spotify's app now has a 'remote control' where you can control another device (nice that it runs between platforms also).  I was thinking that a chromecast might work without the TV screen somehow also... but can't quite envision how that might look.  If there was a way to use an old tablet where you would have a 7" display hooked up to an amp/speaker setup with remote control, that would be pretty wicked.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #50 of 60
  Does anyone know of anyway to just 'roll your own' squeezebox type system with old android / iPhone devices?  Spotify's app now has a 'remote control' where you can control another device (nice that it runs between platforms also).  I was thinking that a chromecast might work without the TV screen somehow also... but can't quite envision how that might look.  If there was a way to use an old tablet where you would have a 7" display hooked up to an amp/speaker setup with remote control, that would be pretty wicked.

Why not a Mac Mini or comparable Android MiniPC as a headless server with an phone or tablet (or that old tablet) as a remote? Even Network HT receivers don't need a computer running to play files from a HDD - you just need to have an NAS, and a remote app from Onkyo or Yamaha for smartphones and tablets can browse the content on the NAS.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 60
Not sure if someone has talked about the Bluesound node I just picked one up $450 been using it for 2 weeks now and I'm pleased as hell with it.
Setup quick and easy RCAs to Asgared 2 optional to AVR download app update and you're off and running. I'm not streaming much yet 128gb thumb drive (fat32) with 16/44.1 CD rips to the UBS it reads just about any type of file. Playlists are quickly made take 10 minutes or so to get the hang of it.
Sound IMO is better than good Node > Asgard2 > T90 transparent throughout, bass hits hard and deep, mids clean and clear, highs have a nice sparkle to them.
So if you are looking for a replacement for the squeezebox I can recommend the Bluesound Node.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #52 of 60

subbed

May 21, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #54 of 60
I'm glad I held on to my SB Touch but if I was shopping I'd seriously consider this:  http://www.audiostream.com/content/auralic-ariesmini

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #56 of 60
I noticed that the posts here are a few years old. I wanted to resurrect the same discussion. My original (pre-Logitech takeover/screw up) player is acting up and is probably dying. This is the one with a black screen in the front. It keeps losing internet connection often. Plus the mysqueezebox.com site (where I have to play many of my favorite stations from, seems be failing more often. Any recommendations for newer equivalent internet radios?
BTW: is there anyway I can play internet stations on this without having to go through mysqueezebox.com (and having to keep a PC/laptop in the house all all the time)?

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #58 of 60
Apple Airport Express is a pretty simple way to stream from computer audio library (iTunes) at 44.1/16. Perhaps, the Marantz NA6005 would get the job done too.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #59 of 60
If you're willing to use an Android phone or tablet as a controller and set up your server with the UpNP/DLNA Interface, you could use the new Chromecast Audio device to replace your old SB Classic. The BubbleUPNP Android app can "see" the CcA device as a renderer and the LMS server as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back