Squeezebox Duet Questions!!! BASIC, just need answers! :)
Jun 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 21
cool blessing, your hint helped, it was under volumes!
smily_headphones1.gif
so i think id be ALRIGHT just getting the receiver, although for 99 dollars more i might as well just get the duet and get the cool remote too? looks like its found it now and is just scanning through all of them. k so another question i have is, since they advertise that your computer can even be "off" and the receiver/remote can still access your library/playlists (because squeezeserver is online, right?), if a computer can be OFF, can my macbook pro theoretically even just be unplugged and not even there at the time? I wouldnt see why not, so long as the receiver is still there with an active wireless connection right...? Oh and lastly, does the receiver etc just connect to whatever wireless network you have running in the house (ie my airport xtreme?). thanks guys, sorry for being a bit dense!
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #17 of 21
Well you can stream internet content and you can use the third-party MP3tunes to upload music and thus download that, but in reality most (especially using lossless) are going to stream from a computer and thus you have to have that on and on the network. There are some NAS drives that if you install a Linux version of the SqueezeCenter on it, the receiver would get the music directly off, but you have to be running SqueezeCenter somewhere to send the music and that's usually going to be on your computer. Figure most can get internet stations to listen when the computer is gone, but that's about it. And the server is not online, but yes it connects to your wifi network (kinda like the Airport Express).

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 21
Just tested the receiver DAC. The Stello seems to be "clearer" in sound, ie. less dull: high and low tones are more pronounced. However given the price of the Duet receiver I'm impressed by the sound quality it offers: it's not a bad DAC at all, and I can imagine people struggling to see a real good reason to upgrade. After all: is the cleaner sound really worth 1500+?

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 21
hey leon, thanks for that! anyways, so i installed hte software and was messing around all last night, with MANY headaches! let me elaborate, perhaps someone can assist or shed some light. I have a very small amount of my music (basically 2 albums i ripped, that are ON my laptop HD), the rest of my music, someodd 100GB are on a wireless HD hooked up to my airport extreme. On that HD, about 50GB is stuff in my itunes music folder (mp3 stuff), and another 50gb is ripped flac stuff, not in my itunes for obvious reasons. Now when i check the option in squeezecenter to "use itunes" and i click update, it works fine, updates to the exact number of files in my itunes, no problemo, and i can access them etc fine via squeeze center.

HOWEVER, heres where the nightmare begins! Since at this stage only about 50% of my music is on squeezecenter (not the FLAC stuff on the wireless HD), I go to settings and select the music folder that contains both the itunes folder AND the flac stuff on my wireless HD (under volumes, etc). I then click update. It all looks like its going fine, it does the directory search first, comes up with the correct total number of tracks (for both the itunes AND flac files). and then midway through actually updating the files, sometimes after only about 5 seconds, I get a nasty "connection to server lost" error from my airport extreme. I lose connection to the internet (google doesnt work), i lose connection to my wireless HD (cannot play stuff via itunes anymore, files not found error), and this persists until i restart my airport extreme router. At that point I can access my tracks in itunes again, and i can get back on the internet, but obviously the squeezecenter is back to square one. BIZAAREE...so i geuss im not getting a squeezebox lol

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #20 of 21
Sounds more like a network problem or a firmware issue on the router. The amount of data being used during a rescan is substantial, I had similar issues with Linksys wireless access points when transferring large amounts of data.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #21 of 21
I've just ordered a Duet, and have read that it is very power-supply (quality) sensitive. Apparently from other Duet (and SB3) owners' experiences to date changing from the stock switching wall-wart PS to a linear power supply, even a relatively cheap one ($20-50), let alone an audiophile version ($100's+), is said to offer a big bang-for-buck sound quality increase.

It'll be the first thing I try when I get it. But lacking an external DAC to compare it against I'd be interested to hear the findings of people with DACs on this forum who go the PS upgrade route, for e.g:
- Duet analog out (stock PS) vs
- Duet analog out (PS upgrade) vs
- Duet w/ Ext DAC (stock PS) vs
- Duet w/ Ext DAC (PS upgrade)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back