Squeezebox Duet DAC vs. Dedicated DAC
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

lmmo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I currently have the Sennheiser HD650 headphones connected to a Russ Andrews HP1 (modded April Music Stello HP100) amplifier.

However I'm currently feeding the amp with my laptop's headphone output which is of course a major limitation in the system.

So I need a new source to feed my FLAC files. The Squeezebox Duet would be a great upgrade in terms of convenience, but what about sound quality?

How does the Wolfson 24-bit DAC in the Squeezebox compares with dedicated low-cost DAC such as DACMagic or Valab DAC?

And what about higher end DAC such as April Music Stello DA100 (which will probably would make a good synergy with the modded HP100 amp)?

Thanks for all your help.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 24
I also listen with Sennheiser HD650's which I use in a system with a Squeezebox Classic. (I saw no reason to spend more for the Duet when my listening is entirely with headphones in naturally close proximity to my Squeezebox and tube amplifier.) I briefly tried getting by with the Squeezebox's internal dac but soon switched to an external one (Headroom Micro) fed from the Squeezebox's digital out, and the sound improvement is considerable. I am a great fan of the Squeezebox (with flac conversion of my cd's) and highly recommend not only it but also using it with an external dac.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 24
I use an SB Classic (as it is now called) and HD650's for the headphone side of my music system. The onboard DAC of the SB is fine, but I found an external DAC improved the sound. I am using an inexpensive (Beresford TC-7510) DAC, but the improvement was very noticeable. I imagine a higher priced DAC may sound even better. When I run the output of the DAC through my tube preamp, the sound is even better. Still trying to figure that one out.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 24
The DAC in the Squeezebox is perfectly adequate, Wolfson chip or not. Amp it up and play it though your choice of headphone or speakers. If you wish, spend your money on an external DAC. For my money, it's not necessary at all.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have 24/96 files on your computer?

I don't exactly know what you mean by 24/96 files. I have all my flac-converted music on a pocket-sized external hard drive that I plug into the usb port on whichever computer I'm using at a given time. In fact, I maintain two external hard drives (for back-up purposes). One is 160 gig and the other 300 gig.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't exactly know what you mean by 24/96 files.

He means recorded with 24 bits sampled at a rate of 96,000 kHz. This is higher than the 16 bit, 44 kHz rates of Redbook CD. For playback, 24/96 is overkill. For recording and mixing, it is not.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Will2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means recorded with 24 bits sampled at a rate of 96,000 kHz. This is higher than the 16 bit, 44 kHz rates of Redbook CD. For playback, 24/96 is overkill. For recording and mixing, it is not.

Thanks for the clarification.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 24
Some people buy music online from places such as Linn Records that are encoded higher than what's on a CD. The OP asked about FLAC files, so before making suggestions, I thought it a good idea to check if he was using CD rips or high-res files first.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome. Actually, I made a notational goof.

The sampling rates I mentioned should be 96 kHz and 44 kHz, or expressed as 96,000 Hz and 44,000 Hz.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 24
I think the squeezebox duet has an okay dac, but I think you'll find you will want to connect an external DAC up to it sonner or later.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 24
I connected my Dacmagic to my squeezebox duet and the Dacmagic sound was completely in another league than the duet.
Even non-hifi ppl who heard it were surprised at how much better it was since they thought the Duet was good on its own. This was on semi-good speakers though. Didnt try with headphones.

I am thinking about buying another Dacmagic (or maybe something else) for my squeezebox setup.

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebathingape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I connected my Dacmagic to my squeezebox duet and the Dacmagic sound was completely in another league than the duet.
Even non-hifi ppl who heard it were surprised at how much better it was since they thought the Duet was good on its own. This was on semi-good speakers though. Didnt try with headphones.

I am thinking about buying another Dacmagic (or maybe something else) for my squeezebox setup.

I agree, but this is to be expected. The CA DACmagic costs more then the squeezbox duet and in effect is really just the dac (will dac's in this case).

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 24
Yes. I am just surprised at how apparent the differences are. Before i got the Dacmagic etc i didnt know the difference would be that big. So i wonder what the more expensive Dacs sound like
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back