Squeaking around Audiotechnica M50 joints?
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dalek-Zero97

New Head-Fier
So, I got the Audiotechnica M50's just two days ago. They are everything I thought they would be and more. The sound quality is something that I have not heard in any other pair. But, they have one problem. I'm one of those guys who lets little sounds get to him....and the left earcup squeak. Not all the time, but sometimes when I'm picking up my headphones and swivilling them up or down to put on my head, I hear a little squeaking sound and its getting to me. Now, on my old pair of Panasonic RP-DJS400's I had a similar problem, but worse. That is, they would squeak ALL THE TIME. I'm worried that my pair of M50's will degrade into that. Can anyone who's had a similar problem testify on this.

Also, when I took apart that pair of headphones, I found around the joints there was a build up of white powder, probably calcium. When I looked at the left earcup of the M50's, I saw a similar buildup near one of the joints. Does anyone know if this is calcium, and if so how they recommend cleaning it without damaging the headphones?

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Heya,

What makes you think there's calcium build up?

Like all hardware, if you hear a squeak, lubricate.

Very best,

Like I said, I think it's calcium. And while I would Lund, I'm not sure what to use. And how to apply it. The joints are made of plastic, and I don't want to yank them apart and risk breaking them to get rid of a squeak. I mean, it's annoying, but not worth risking actual structural damage.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Like I said, I think it's calcium. And while I would Lund, I'm not sure what to use. And how to apply it. The joints are made of plastic, and I don't want to yank them apart and risk breaking them to get rid of a squeak. I mean, it's annoying, but not worth risking actual structural damage.

Use some olive oil. Or some common vegetable oil. Small dab. Or something similar. Let it soak into the touching plastic joints and calm down your squeak.

And again.. why do you think it's Calcium? Did it magically fall from the atmosphere? Do you think it's a byproduct or a hydroxide precipitate from a weird chemical reaction with your headphones? It's far more likely for it to simply be something from your hair/scalp, like hair product or soap or skin cells, or dust mite bodies, etc.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back