[SQ Review] Hifiman 601 with hardware tests
Feb 28, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

shigzeo

The Hiss King
Hello Audiophiles,

I'm in a lot of pain right now, but really wan to finally get something out about the 601. I'd like to first say this: I like it. I'm not a stuffy audiophile, nor am I a basher - at least not if I can see where the designer was going with a device. The Hifiman is truly the first audiophile-worthy DAP on the planet. By audiophile, I mean not-mainstream.

I will not get into usage of this device, but I'll say this: Hifiman's firmware and navigation systems are attrocious. They are better than the Teclast T51 as of when I sold mine, but there are heaps of problems with the SD card, ID3 tags, etc. There is NO gapless, nor support for AAC. Whatever, it's an audiophile player, so I didn't expect that, anyway.

I hate to be labelled audiophile, though jokingly, I call myself that sometimes. I don't go for gush over accuracy, or warmth over clarity, but a lot of people do. Well, the Hifman is for them and is good. It really does seem like a tube amp: turn it on and the background noise is high and whiny, but after a few minutes, goes away. I've never seen that before in any portable player, ever. For audiophiles, it is a nice touch. Once it goes away, the background noise is similar to a Cowon D2, maybe just a bit more.

In other words, you'll hear it, but it's livable. 

The sound is warm and lush, but not the sort of lush you get with great earphones, like the Earsonics SM3 (They rock). Speaking of, lush earphones are maybe not the best earphones for this player. If you have Etymotic ER4, Audio Technica CK10, or otherwise bright, sharp earphones, the HM601 sounds great. It's got a lot of power under the bonnet, too. Perhaps 4-5dB more than an iPod touch. I'll find out for sure soon, but it seems that way. I've not tested how far the volume scale goes before distorting when under load, but it seems to have more headroom than the ever-dreadful iPod and iPhone.

The soft high end is due to the 601's low-pass filter that cuts the high frequencies quite severely. Those who like this filter like it a lot. With certain earphones, I LOVE it and have emulated it with EQu and Equalizer for the iPhone. I've not found a music that sounds bad, yet. The HM601 deals an even hand everywhere. Jazz, of course, is wonderful, particularly lower percussion, strings, and female vocals. Rock is fun, but toned down - a good thing in my opinion. I wondered if trance would be fine. It is. Kudos Hifiman for hitting all the right notes, despite catering a particular filter.

The HM601 drives low-ohm dynamic earphones very well. They deviate very little when bottlenecking the HM601, so you don't have to worry about an amp. The stereo image bunches up a bit, but not bad. Overall, it keeps space very well. But, not too much. And the soft top end means that sparkle isn't something you'll get, either. Everything is lush and smooth.

Harmonic distortion (the good kind) is quite high and should be familiar to tube lovers. DT880? Great. But even on high gain, it doesn't get too loud. Actually, because the top end is soft, the overall dynamic punch is lessened and, you can listen to loud music without cringing or realising it. Be careful.

The EQ isn't good, but what EQ's really are? Sony have compressed the dynamic range for years, Apple have never got it. Only Cowon really know how to implement EQ's. Hifiman: get EQ right, especially since you have a built-in low-pass filter. There is no such thing a pretending that audiophiles shouldn't have EQ's when a Butterworth filter is built-in to the signal. There is no such thing as right or wrong when it comes to EQ's. It's user choice.

Hifiman: fix the firmware and you'll cement your player as the best audiophile player on the planet. Currently, using the HM601 is at best a nuisance, and at worst, bloody frustrating. I hope this changes. I like the quaintness of the player, even the 1970's cylon-looks. I like the idea. But audiophiles have had to put up with a lot of crap, and I hope that some firmware changes can raise the HM601 so far above the other crap as to seem 100% like a good buy.

Non-audiophiles: If you want to see how the RMAA and square waves panned out, head over here.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 26
I hope that I was clear. I've been dictating or typing one-handed for two weeks now. By the time a thought hits my head, minutes have passed before it makes its way to the screen. 

とにかく HM601 is a great player for audiophiles who don't mind fussing A LOT. Hifiman could fix this with proper firmware, though, and make the HM601 as easy to use as conventional mass market players and properly leverage their sound signature, which again, appeals to tube lovers. Personally, I prefer a clearer sound with a good EQ. 

Square wave performance to go up in a few hours/days.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 26
For me, the combination HM-601 + Ety ER4S is the best I have ever heard until today. Simply phenomenal.

I am testing this setup with the iBasso P3+ Heron amp and Ety's sound is very close to a high end, full-size headphone.

With this sound, all defects disappear like dust.

Cheers,

Peter

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 26
Quite ordinary:

HM-601 likes bright/analitical headphones;
HM-801 likes warm/dark headphones.

I have both devices and I love the HM-601. For me, the HM-801 does not hold a candle to the first one.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
anyone has any idea how hm-601 pairs with ath m50 ? since I am in love with my cans I wonder if Hm-601 is a perfect choice :-?

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 26
Nice shigzeo.

That is more or less what I feel about the HM-601. You can add the Ultrasone Pro 900 to list of combinations. The Pro 900s never sounded better to my ears.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 26
Now that's what I call dedication. Broken arm and still doing reviews !! Well I guess it gets boring being off from work and pretty much anything. Get well soon.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 26
heh heh, i usually use one handed/one finger typing myself-quite fast now

Anyhows, you know I am into my ipod touch 4g with ibasso t3, you mentioned emulating the HM withe EQu or equalizer app, tell me more about those results.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 26
heh heh, i usually use one handed/one finger typing myself-quite fast now

Anyhows, you know I am into my ipod touch 4g with ibasso t3, you mentioned emulating the HM withe EQu or equalizer app, tell me more about those results.

Hey Ex and Frenchy: let's meet up in Japan one of these days. I'll be moving back there this May or August, so I hope to catch the tail of one of yers.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 26
Didn't realize you were moving back here, I thought you were just coming for a few days. Well then : Welcome back ! It's gonna be easier to arrange a meet
wink_face.gif

You might want to move in May rather than August, I guess I don't have to remind you the heat we get during summer.

Quote:
Hey Ex and Frenchy: let's meet up in Japan one of these days. I'll be moving back there this May or August, so I hope to catch the tail of one of yers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back