SQ of different cables (for recabling)
Sep 28, 2007 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
ive recabled a couple of pairs of headphones with cardas starquad before...i find it to be a decent upgrade from the stock cables in both instances, but to be honest, nothing special. im just wondering what the differences between using different cables would be.
for example, how would using SPC (from navships on ebay) braided compare?
does anyone ever go with silver wire?

also, ive got a pair of 325i on the way which im planning to probably recable, i hear they can be very harsh in the high end, is there any specific type of cable i might look towards to counter balance that a bit?

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 16
I used braided spc (24ag) from navships to recable my SR-60... it does sound good!

I don't think the highs are necessarily sharper (though everything sounds a bit clearer), but I find it pretty difficult to compare as I have not been able to directly compare a stock version to my recabled one... and my sound-memory isn't that good

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 16
The Mogami neglex copper balanced (quad) mic cable W2893 (26gauge) or W2534 (24gauge) sounds very good, I like it better than Cardas.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 16
I also recommend Navships SPC. I didn't like Starquad much, because I thought it made it sound darker. The SPC seems to be brighter to me. It really depends on what your headphones are lacking.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Whats the best place to buy "star" quad cable in bulk?

James

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mogami neglex copper balanced (quad) mic cable W2893 (26gauge) or W2534 (24gauge) sounds very good, I like it better than Cardas.

A big x2!

I have also used Navships SPC wire. Terrific stuff. Strictly in terms of SQ I don't necessarily see one being better than the other which is why I prefer Mogami's cables. They are durable due to the rubber encasement, make the job quicker - no litz braiding and sleeving required, flexible and look like stock cables. The Mogami cables also work terrifically with Neutrik's XLRs and 1/4" connectors.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Cool I'm gonna try my hand at re-cables. Any recomendations for tech flex, ie. should i use it? and also for y split heatshrink? I'll be making an order tonight.
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 16
For sleeving, I can't recommend nylon multifilament enough. Regular monofilament Techflex is far too stiff for headphone cabling IMO. Take a look at wirecare.com.

For the Y split - I use heatshrink. Take a look at the sticky for various examples.

Good luck!

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sleeving, I can't recommend nylon multifilament enough. Regular monofilament Techflex is far too stiff for headphone cabling IMO. Take a look at wirecare.com.

For the Y split - I use heatshrink. Take a look at the sticky for various examples.

Good luck!

how much (if at all) does the nylon multifilament sleeving stretch? i.e., i buy 1/8" flexo PET for covering Star Quad, which is just over 1/4" in O.D. - will the same size multifilament work, or is it less stretchy? would 1/4" multifilament be a better choice?

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much (if at all) does the nylon multifilament sleeving stretch? i.e., i buy 1/8" flexo PET for covering Star Quad, which is just over 1/4" in O.D. - will the same size multifilament work, or is it less stretchy? would 1/4" multifilament be a better choice?

Multifilament Nylon stretches very little, if any at all. You won't be able to cover a 1/4" OD cable with 1/8" multifilament, unlike regular Techflex. Use the size that corresponds most closely to what you are going to cover; go for a slightly bigger size to be safe, in fact.

Cheers!

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 16
got some mogami and canare along with connectors and nylon techflex on the way. I'm gonna do some wireing this weekend......

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 16
heh, SAME! i actually missed the delivery unfortunately...the hassles of being a student in class @ uni all the time...but i DO have about a hundred bucks worth of cardas starquad and some nice XLR connectors that im hoping to revamp my 325i with either tommorow or this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back