SQ: ibasso D3 amp vs ibasso P3
Oct 30, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 16
I was always under the impression that the D3 was a P3 with built-in DAC, but after some careful consideration, I might pony up an extra 40 if there's a noticeable difference in SQ.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 16
Can someone care to elaborate on the meaning of rolling opamps? I did some searching a while back and I think it's changing a chip ?

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 16
The P3 is fitted with some chip adaptors, which allows you to easily remove and replace the opamp chip/s within the amp circuit. It enables you to "tune" the amp sound to your liking. Apparently you get a nice selection of opamp chips to use in a handy case when you buy the P3. But i am sure if you enjoy listening to the changes in sound the opamp swapping can make from the supplied selection, you will soon be hunting down the perfect set up. There already is a thread where folks are talking about their experiences with different combinations.

Good luck bud
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by andychen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that P3 can roll opamps, but producing different types of sound does not necessarily mean producing good sound, I read a post saying that ibasso P3's SQ cannot match D3 no matter what opamps are used. Can anyone confirm that?

No one can, would depend on source, cans, and ears. The beauty of rolling op-amps is that if you have a can w/ a particular defficiency you can compensate w/ an op-amp. Also you can extend the hours the amp will play by using op-amps that draw less current.

So you roll op-amps to change the sound, compensate for an issue w/ a can, get more play time, etc.

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one can, would depend on source, cans, and ears. The beauty of rolling op-amps is that if you have a can w/ a particular defficiency you can compensate w/ an op-amp. Also you can extend the hours the amp will play by using op-amps that draw less current.

So you roll op-amps to change the sound, compensate for an issue w/ a can, get more play time, etc.

exactly if you need some help in your bass lets say you can use a op-amp that is warm to help in that area. Sorta allows you to personalize a amp to you needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 16
I have spent lots of time "rolling" opamps in the P3 trying to exactly duplicate the sound of the D3. I have not yet accomplished that. I have come close, but have also found some combinations of opamps that sound very good, without comparing them to the D3.

There are circuit differences and the same opamps will not sound the same in both amps.

It just depends on if you like the P sound or the S sound!

Check the thread "let the rolling begin" for some good P3 combinations.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 16
thanks for educating me on the opamp rolling. I actually have a D2, but I don't have many opamps to try. So now I am leaning towards the p3.

another question probably hard to find an answer here.

I just got a pico, it does not have a dedicated line out, but some mentioned pico can be used as a dac when the volume is maxed. So how is the dedicated D3 line out compared to pico as a DAC. The D3 line out is really nice, but if pico DAC can do the same, then I will not buy D3 for sure.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 16
On the Pico you can not use just the USB dac, you have to also use the amp section. On the D3 you can use just the dac section, bypassing the amp. The amp section in the D3 will not be in the signal path if you choose to use only the dac.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 16
jamato8, thanks for your reply.

yes, I understand that pico does not have a dedicated line out, but I remember seeing posts talking about connect turn the pico volume to max and connect it to other amps and get good results.

I know owning both D3 and P3 would be ideal, but I already have some nice portable stuff, and now want to put more money on home rigs.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Ok, I guess I wasn't sure what you were after. Sure, you can do that with any amp, turn the volume up and use it with something else. I would not turn the volume up all the way on the Pico though, I would use it as a preamp and have the volume of the amp it is going into turned most of the way up.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I guess I wasn't sure what you were after. Sure, you can do that with any amp, turn the volume up and use it with something else. I would not turn the volume up all the way on the Pico though, I would use it as a preamp and have the volume of the amp it is going into turned most of the way up.

Exactly - that is how I use mine. I set the full size amp volume at about 3 o'clock, plug the Pico into the desktop amp with a nice mini-RCA cable, and start the Pico's volume at Zero and turn it up until I have the sound as loud as I need it - controlling the volume with the Pico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back