Spring is here, What's your allergy medicine?
Apr 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 26
I use a cortisone nasal spray, anthistamines are not very effective on me, and i'm very sensitive to their side effects ( sleepiness ecc.).

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 26
Oh heck, what isn't it?

Generic zyrtec at about 8pm, generic claritin in the morning, and generic chlorpheniramine when the pollen spikes.

And the occasional generic mucinex.

Now that i have health insurance i should find out if there's some exotic new prescription med that would work better. I've tried the non-exotic prescription antihistamines and they don't work any better than what I'm currently doing.

Allegra in particular didn't work very well, AND i had nearly every side-effect in the list. Including upper back pain.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #19 of 26
One thing I used to use for allergies was beef adrenal extract, part of a group of remedies called raw glandulars. I don't eat beef in any form nowadays, but it did wonders for my allergies back in the day.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 26
Wish we had descent medication in Japan. Everybody walks around with masks and red eyes :/

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 26
I grew up in southern California, and I guess because it was so dry I never had spring allergies. But I spent last summer in New York city, and after my first night I woke up with a terrible droopy eye, so I had to use Zaditor eye drops for a few weeks.

I also took Benadryl for the regular sneezing and runny nose.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 26
Zyrtec works for me, happy it's OTC these days. I've found running an air purifier works wonders as well.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 26
First off: why seek medical advice on a headphone forum? Might as well ask your mother.

Nevertheless:
For instant relief, use Benadryl. Carry a couple in your purse/wallet/whatever. I carry some of the Listerine-style quick dissolve strips. Benadryl makes some people very drowsy, so be careful if driving, etc.

For day-long relief over a season, use Claritin or Zyrtec. I prefer Zyrtec myself. Note that drinking alcohol or eating fatty foods can affect the metabolism of the drug in the liver, and attenuate the effectiveness of the allergy drugs.

For persistent problems with inflammation, go to your doctor and get tested for allergies. They can prescribe anti-inflammatory steroids like those mentioned above in this thread. Taking steroids too long can have unwanted effects, obviously.

There are currently only 2 long term solutions to airborne allergies: 1) remove your exposure to the allergen by relocating, setting up HEPA filters, wearing an appropriate filter mask, etc; 2) get allergy shots, which work well for some.

Nasal sprays can be addictive (Afrin, etc). Many of these are over-the-counter treatments in the USA, but you really should be consulting a physician if you use them for more than a day or two.

*This is advice to inform yourself and seek a personal medical opinion from your local physician, and is not to be construed as medical advice itself.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 26
Oh yes, I'm running three HEPA filters in the house, and also forgot to mention the Mucenex.

Further, drink lots of water.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 26
Nasonex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back