Spring is here, What's your allergy medicine?
Apr 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate spring. My pollen allergy started to acting up today. My allegra is no longer effective. Any good otc allergy medicine guys?

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 26
During times of moderate allergies, I usually take Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg at bedtime (makes me slightly drowsy) and Claritin (loratadine) 5 mg in the am. This seems to be a favorite combination of allergists/immunologists for controlling urticaria; I suffer from something similar, in addition to problems with mold/dust/pollen.

I never cared much for Allegra. One trick I learned after much trial and error with Claritin was that the recommended 10 mg once daily has a rebound effect 10-12 hours or so after dosing. When I rely on Claritin only, I split the tabs and take 5 mg twice daily. It seems to be far more effective that way.

For really bad allergies, Benadryl 25 mg at night and Zyrtec 5 mg in the am seems to completely suppress all of my symptoms. However, it can leave me drowsy in the morning, and tends to have rebound effects.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 26
A few allergy season back having tried everything that either made me drowsy, lazy or just did not work I read about cutting out dairy from my diet. Like most medications they only treat the symptoms of allergies and not the cause, milk and dairy products form mucus so try cutting out those. I've suffered from hay fever and similar allergies for over 20 years, I'm happy to report since turning to soy I haven't been affected since. That's not to say you can't have pizza or chocolate in modification but I always had a glass of milk before bed, I still do but only organic soy.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 26
I never get allergies in the spring (trees), but man do I get them badly in the fall (grasses). I cheat and use claritin in great excess...one 24-hour in the morning, one at night. Claritin is an unusual drug in that it takes several days to start working, however, once it does, it has a huge advantage over other allergy drugs...it's non-drowsy! I had some horrible experiences with Zyrtec and Allegra also gives me grief.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few allergy season back having tried everything that either made me drowsy, lazy or just did not work I read about cutting out dairy from my diet. Like most medications they only treat the symptoms of allergies and not the cause, milk and dairy products form mucus so try cutting out those. I've suffered from hay fever and similar allergies for over 20 years, I'm happy to report since turning to soy I haven't been affected since. That's not to say you can't have pizza or chocolate in modification but I always had a glass of milk before bed, I still do but only organic soy.

QFT. Both my skin and, in part, my nasal allergies are likely a reaction to dairy. Unfortunately, soy does not agree with me over the long term, so I just reduced my dairy intake as much as possible and kept medication available for acute symptoms.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take Claritin. Seems to work ok.

Aye, that stuff seems to work, and it's non-drowsy too. It took me a few days in class last semester to realize why I could barely stay awake when taking Benadryl; a side effect of that stuff is drowsiness.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never get allergies in the spring (trees), but man do I get them badly in the fall (grasses). I cheat and use claritin in great excess...one 24-hour in the morning, one at night. Claritin is an unusual drug in that it takes several days to start working, however, once it does, it has a huge advantage over other allergy drugs...it's non-drowsy! I had some horrible experiences with Zyrtec and Allegra also gives me grief.

x2 but don't get addicted to drugs!
since i'm usually fine in door, i only take one every morning.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 26
Claritin has always seemed to work for me. There is this shot i went to go get at my clinic which makes you more immune to it i guess, but all i know is after i got those shots, my allergies were A LOT better than before.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is this shot i went to go get at my clinic which makes you more immune to it i guess, but all i know is after i got those shots, my allergies were A LOT better than before.

...Was it a large needle in the rear?

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 26
I use a nose spray of which I forgot the name. It works a treat, but I am not sure it can be bought in the USA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 but don't get addicted to drugs!
since i'm usually fine in door, i only take one every morning.

Not to worry, antihistamines are non-addictive. Very few drugs are addictive.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 26
Opatanol.
My eyes tend to get quite irritated (itchy, red, ..) in late April/early May when the birch spring out. These eyedrops take care of most of the discomfort.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 26
Equate.

No, absolutely NO dairy.

Lemons.

BTW, I'm using almond milk, which is way better for you than soy milk, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back