Spray painting headphones?
Jul 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iHelp

500+ Head-Fier
Is spray painting headphones a logical idea? Does it damage the sound quality?

Pros/cons of it? Thanks!

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Pros- looks cool if you do it correctly
Cons- may lower resale value, may look like crap/wear easily if you don't properly sand(?), prime, and paint the surface.

There shouldn't be any damage to sound quality as long as you don't spray paint the piece which the driver is attached to.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pros- looks cool if you do it correctly
Cons- may lower resale value, may look like crap/wear easily if you don't properly sand(?), prime, and paint the surface.

There shouldn't be any damage to sound quality as long as you don't spray paint the piece which the driver is attached to.

Thanks.

Have you ever done this? any advice?

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 13
I agree.... there should be minimal sound differences, however I do suggest removing the part(s) you wish to paint from the cans and painting them separate. Otherwise, you may get the "mist effect" where there are tiny flakes of paint where there shouldn't be and may even leak into the driver if you are painting an open backed headphone.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 13
I've considering doing this to the AD700 a couple of times now.

I'm afraid that spray paint will be too thick and might fill the wholes in the grills.
And.. I have no idea how to remove the grills, and the other parts I wish to paint. (lol, everything)

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've considering doing this to the AD700 a couple of times now.

I'm afraid that spray paint will be too thick and might fill the wholes in the grills.
And.. I have no idea how to remove the grills, and the other parts I wish to paint. (lol, everything)

I don't know exactly how the AD700's are constructed, but it's usually screwed/sealed with glue. Sometimes it can pop off.

Try it.

EDIT: get something to cover/fill in the grill. clay/toothpicks? You figure it out.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 13
actually, is there an alternative to spray paint?

if I were to paint them.. they wouldn't have the shiny appearance anymore.
I wonder if I could dye them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 13
well you could spray paint, then use a shiny gloss enamel coat that will make it shiny as well as protect the paint itself

and there should be screws under the earpads....

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 13
Check the paint you use too. For example you might want to use a polycarbonate/lexan paint (eg Tamiya) because it will flex. Other paints might flake a lot more easily on something like this that is being moved around a lot.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you could spray paint, then use a shiny gloss enamel coat that will make it shiny as well as protect the paint itself

and there should be screws under the earpads....

yeah, but I don't really want them glossy.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Then you can use a sort of matte paint.

As someone else said, if you haven't realized this already, you'll need to deconstruct the headphones and paint them in pieces.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 13
I've done a few paint jobs. My most extensive one involved painting a pair of K701s black. You definitely need to take apart the headphone first. Many light coats is much better than a few thick ones. It is a fun project and really customizes the look of your headphones. If you do a nice enough job and the color isn't too rad, you might still be able to sell them if you choose. I painted up a pair of DR150s and sold them off to a happy buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back