Sportapros similar to SR60's?
Jul 10, 2003 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone tell me if the sonic signature of these two cans is relatively similar? I keep debating about getting some SR60's, but I keep thinking they won't sound much different from my Sportapros. I find the Sportas to have good bass, nice warm, full midrange (this may be the mid bass that I'm hearing) and a good crispy high end without being harsh. Isn't this basically the same as the SR60, especially unamped?

I'm trying to justify spending the $60 on the Grado's... and right now its not looking too justifiable since I'm happy with the Sportas....

appar11

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 12
My first 'decent' cans were Sportapros. After auditioning a pair of SR60's much later, I came to the conclusion that their sound was not appreciably better to justify the expense. They (Grados) were also quite uncomfortable (the pads, not the headband!) after five minutes of wearing them too.

Stick with the Koss'. If you want to spend $60, get a used Super-mini amp, or even a CMOY for less than that. Oh, an cut a nickel-sized hole in the Koss pads to open up the sound a bit.

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm also getting an itch to try some Grados 60 or 80s. Right now I have the PortaPros and D66 and was wondering if the Grados will be right in the middle of these two.

Side note: Initially, I thought these two headphones would satisfy all my needs but now I find myself looking at what else is out there. Visiting message board like this doesn't help any when you are trying to save a few bucks...
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RockysDad
I find myself looking at what else is out there. Visiting message board like this doesn't help any when you are trying to save a few bucks...
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I started off with $8 KSC50s from ebay... So far I've spent at least $700, and am planning on spending another $340 soon.
If SR60s sound anything like unamped SR225s, they'll destroy the SportaPro in every department except bloated bass. Great transparency, tight bass, great overall.
I find the SPs muddy as hell compared to unamped 225s.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 12
It's just that out of everything I've tried so far, I end up going back to the Sportapros. I've tried the Sportapros, 7506's, E1's, E2c's, Portapros, EX70's, EX51's, HD477, HD497, ER6, 7505's, K141S, V700, and out of all those, I keep coming back to the Sportas. I'm just tired of trying stuff that doesn't do it for me, and if the SR60's only sound a little better than the Sportas, then I would have a hard time justifying another $60 spent. I'd rather spend the money on new tunes to listen to. Seems like I've spent too much time listening to the cans and not the music coming out of them (if that makes any sense).

appar111

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 12
i have heard the SP's and the v6's. i didnt really like the sound of the v6 and i did like the SP's. i also like he PP's and the 35's. i think if you like the PP's you'll like the grado's.

if you really bought all of those phones, sell some of them, hell id be intrested in some of those.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 12
oh, I've already sold them off-- I'm down to MX400's, Sportapros, and soon, the gold 888LP's.

I guess if I'm happy with the Sportas, maybe I should just nip it in the bud now? If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 12
I barely touch my Portapros with SR60s around. That tell you anything? Unless you really like the boomy bass, SR60s are better in most all respects. They're not as warm sounding, but have better clarity, soundstage, impact, detail, etc. Just make sure to use the right pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 12
The Eggo D66's are a really nice pair of $100 cans. I prefer them to the Grados in the same price range, and they are far more comfortable. Plus they offer a bit of isolation which is better in portable environments. But in the end, most of these cans are incremental improvements from the Koss', and most are simply lateral moves, if at all, IMO. Not worth the extra cash if you already have the SP's (or any of the other 60ohm Koss'), again IMO.

Rather than spending all that cash on so many pairs of headphones in the under-$100 bracket, why not decide to try a single pair in a markedly better range? The Grado SR225's are much better than the SR60's btw, and would be a worthwhile investment, if you think you'd like the Grado sound

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Rather than spending all that cash on so many pairs of headphones in the under-$100 bracket, why not decide to try a single pair in a markedly better range? The Grado SR225's are much better than the SR60's btw, and would be a worthwhile investment, if you think you'd like the Grado sound

I'll second this. Not necessarily with the SR225s (although they are a very nice selection from what I've heard), but with any higher end cans. In the long run you should be much more satisfied, and with any luck will loose some evil upgraditis
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Too much lateral upgrading is a waste of money. Try saving and then making the jump.

Hiker

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, $62 shipped for the Grado SR60's isn't that bad, and it will let me use my current pcdp without an amp, and from what I've read, should probably give me more detail and less bass bloat than the Sportas.

I will be getting the Grado's (just ordered them about an hour ago) and then saving up for something like the DT770's and a Meta42, or just going with some higher end cans that don't necessarily need an amp (like the Audiotechnica A900's or ATH-D7's...)

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Well, $62 shipped for the Grado SR60's isn't that bad, and it will let me use my current pcdp without an amp, and from what I've read, should probably give me more detail and less bass bloat than the Sportas.

Yeah, inside. That is where the difference can be heard, and is worthwhile. Outside, portably however, the difference you hear will be minimal. And the extra bass you get with the SportaPros serve to isolate you from extraneous environmental noise. Good luck with the Grados
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back