SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #256 of 1,049
Phonitor xe vs Phonitor 2 if you use only analog signal; is there any other differences than front xlr and Matrix?
What i mean, is the soundquality same and are they technically same what comes to amplifier?

Edit: i can get used phonitor 2 for 999euros, used Phonitor xe costs around 1600euros...

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #257 of 1,049
I know it's not a fair comparison, but I tried Hugo TT2 lately with HD800S, and HD800S with TT2 didn't get peaky like phonitor. I really don't know if it has to do with what is really neutral or not because Chord stuff generally measures well. On the other hand, I didn't like the HD800S out of DAVE headphone out. Perhaps the headphone out is better on TT2 for the 800S.

Is Phonitor neutral sounding? I really don't know.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #258 of 1,049

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #259 of 1,049
I just made a deal for used Phonitor xe. I will post my expressions here as soon as i can have some serious listening with it.
I am very curious to hear how Phonitor xe will compare to Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linea DE.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #260 of 1,049
Burning in :L3000:

upload_2020-1-16_23-34-14.jpeg

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #262 of 1,049
Arrived yesterday. The first impressions are ”quite” promising. :o2smile:

B0B2A697-8FEF-494B-9248-4C6BD3F056F2.jpeg

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #263 of 1,049
My apologies beforehand if this is the wrong forum to ask. Reading up some comments, is the matrix crossfeed of the Phonitor really that subtle? After (hopefully) getting the RME ADI-2 I would be changing my Violectric V200 for a Phonitor 2. Aside from the obscene amount of power the Phonitor 2 dishes out; the Matrix thing also appeals to me, I'm a sucker for those toys.

But if the Matrix Crossfeed isn't that impressive, would I be better off looking for a more powerful amplifier for less money and less bells and whistles?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #264 of 1,049
My apologies beforehand if this is the wrong forum to ask. Reading up some comments, is the matrix crossfeed of the Phonitor really that subtle? After (hopefully) getting the RME ADI-2 I would be changing my Violectric V200 for a Phonitor 2. Aside from the obscene amount of power the Phonitor 2 dishes out; the Matrix thing also appeals to me, I'm a sucker for those toys.

But if the Matrix Crossfeed isn't that impressive, would I be better off looking for a more powerful amplifier for less money and less bells and whistles?
You can easily switch the amount of the effect. For example my friends didn’t recognise the effect at all on the lowest level.
I personally love this function cause it really gives me some of the speaker sound back. It is definitely the best working crossfeed I have ever heard. Second would be the Chord products. I hope it helps just a little bit :sweat_smile:

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #266 of 1,049
Phonitor 2 vs Phonitor xe? What is the maine diferences?
one can be used as a speaker preamp out (X) and the other has secondary headphone outputs in the back for a/b switching (XE) but if using the XE or just in general if swapping headphones/unplugging/plugging in or any switch make sure you pause your music first. I'm sure I'm missing some details on what differentiates them... so please anyone that knows of other differences please chime in =) Oh and I think the onboard DAC options are different between the two. My XE I got without the DAC chip due to having plenty of DACs already :wink:

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #268 of 1,049

It’s not impressive like it’s gonna make wow-effect. And it doesn’t make ”effects” either.
It’s impressive because it works so well. Makes listening more relaxed. It’s very, very subtle, in a good way.
If you don’t see the amp, it’s very difficult to say is Matrix even on or off.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #270 of 1,049
Phonitor xe has been active use(everyday) almost a month now.
I think this is the final amp for me. Linn ADSM-SPL Phonitor xe-Focal Stellia compination has incredibly good synergy.
And SPL Matrix is just magic, works for me. It has been "on" all the time now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back