SPL Phonitor se
Oct 4, 2021 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Is anyone using an SPL Phonitor se? If so, what are your thoughts?

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 15
I am considering this headphone amp myself. Here is a great review of it. I was originally thinking about the McIntosh MHA 200. Slightly warm and smooth sounding. However the DAC in my NAD 658 has a slight warmth to it already not its not a crystal like DAC like my friends Matrix. So in wanting improved detail and clarity with my Focal Clear MG's may just be what I need.
https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/spl-phonitor-se/

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 15
I had Phonitor XE with Focal Stellias, suberb soundquality. Neutral and controlled. Not so ”musical” though.
Was built like a tank. Very high quality work.
I really liked the Matrix, works really, really well.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 15
I am just setting mine up. Really good so far – only a few hours' listening, but it sounds great, clean, powerful and well controlled. I already prefer it to my previous setup, Topping A90D and Denafrips Ares.
IMG_2632.jpg

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Maybe a strange question, but... Should I be afraid about 2x5W into 300 ohms? Is it safe for HD 600/6XX?

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks!

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 15
I have compared the Phonitor SE (P for short) with the Burson Conductor 3 Performance (B for short) with Supercharger PSU, both single-ended amplifiers, using the internal DAC of the Burson Conductor 3P with a pair of Beyerdynamic T1.2 as well as a pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor5 headphones. In bullet-point here are my comments:
  • P reproduces music with greater focus and sense of clarity when compared to B. B disperses the sound giving an increased sense of reverb (longer trailing of notes) resulting in a wider perception, whereas P outputs a more holographic sound in terms of volume and vividness.
  • P presents sounds with better imaging than B. B does not separate instruments as crystal clear as P. It appears that P reproduces music with better resolution and/or detail compared to B.
  • In terms of stage, B appears to offer a wider spatial audio experience and it might relate to the increased reverb/trailing. On the other hand, P outputs music with greater depth and a superior spatial accuracy.
  • Low frequencies are perceived with greater intensity on B but presented with greater control and extension on P.
  • High frequencies have more spark and refinement on P without degrading into being sibilant.
  • Vocals are reproduced with better realism and warmth on P compared to a relatively colder profile on B. B tends to emphasize (and/or foreground placement) vocals slightly more than P.
  • Overall, the sound from P is analog/organic and neutral without colouring bells and whistles, but has impressive depth, macro dynamics, clarity and accuracy. B reproduces music with great sense of space and reverb, a warmer profile, good resolution and imaging, impactful bass, and slightly forward vocals.
I hope this helps anyone interested in purchasing a Phonitor SE (or a Burson Conductor 3 Performance).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 15
I have compared the Phonitor SE (P for short) with the Burson Conductor 3 Performance (B for short) with Supercharger PSU, both single-ended amplifiers, using the internal DAC of the Burson Conductor 3P with a pair of Beyerdynamic T1.2 as well as a pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor5 headphones. In bullet-point here are my comments:
  • P reproduces music with greater focus and sense of clarity when compared to B. B disperses the sound giving an increased sense of reverb (longer trailing of notes) resulting in a wider perception, whereas P outputs a more holographic sound in terms of volume and vividness.
  • P presents sounds with better imaging than B. B does not separate instruments as crystal clear as P. It appears that P reproduces music with better resolution and/or detail compared to B.
  • In terms of stage, B appears to offer a wider spatial audio experience and it might relate to the increased reverb/trailing. On the other hand, P outputs music with greater depth and a superior spatial accuracy.
  • Low frequencies are perceived with greater intensity on B but presented with greater control and extension on P.
  • High frequencies have more spark and refinement on P without degrading into being sibilant.
  • Vocals are reproduced with better realism and warmth on P compared to a relatively colder profile on B. B tends to emphasize (and/or foreground placement) vocals slightly more than P.
  • Overall, the sound from P is analog/organic and neutral without colouring bells and whistles, but has impressive depth, macro dynamics, clarity and accuracy. B reproduces music with great sense of space and reverb, a warmer profile, good resolution and imaging, impactful bass, and slightly forward vocals.
I hope this helps anyone interested in purchasing a Phonitor SE (or a Burson Conductor 3 Performance).
Fascinating, thanks. I have the Phonitor SE, but of course not the Burson. However I do have a PrismSound Callia, with which I compare to the Phonitor. I would agree generally with your comments about the SE. The PrismSound was a bit more expensive than the Phonitor, but I guess is similar in concept and execution, being a single-ended amp (with DAC), also from a maker of professional recording studio gear. I would say this – it is little known, but if you want a reference, accurate and perfectly clear amp/DAC – without spending many thousands – the Callia is a great choice. It leaves the SE behind in terms of clarity and resolution

Nov 9, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 15
Fascinating, thanks. I have the Phonitor SE, but of course not the Burson. However I do have a PrismSound Callia, with which I compare to the Phonitor. I would agree generally with your comments about the SE. The PrismSound was a bit more expensive than the Phonitor, but I guess is similar in concept and execution, being a single-ended amp (with DAC), also from a maker of professional recording studio gear. I would say this – it is little known, but if you want a reference, accurate and perfectly clear amp/DAC – without spending many thousands – the Callia is a great choice. It leaves the SE behind in terms of clarity and resolution
I'll add here that I consider Phonitor SE (P) and Burson Conductor 3 Performance (B) as complementary - not overlapping in style - amps, each offering a different enough approach to sound amplification. The fact that B has an external PSU as wel as user replaceable op amps allows for significant sonic upgrades, something not possible with P. Also, the stock optional DAC for P is mediocre unlike the very competent - non optional - DAC in B.

Worth noting here that I'm a loyal single-ended audiophile. :xf_cool:

Never heard of PrismSound, sounds interesting but Callia is much more expensive that either B or P.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back