SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Mar 12, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #273 of 311
I got my Phonitor 2 today and it has a hum (or a weird kind of sound) coming from inside though the signal is clean. Has anybody faced similar issue? Something to get worried about if it isn't bothering much?

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #276 of 311
Was using the OPPO HA-1 as DAC/amp, but after getting the SPL PHONITOR 2 and using the OPPO as a DAC, I have to say that the difference is night/day. Soundstage, detail, BASS!!!, sound reproduction, instrument fidelity, punch....

Listening to the end of Bruckner's 8th symphony - heard the instruments in ways I hadn't before...
I'd be happy if you could tell me
How SPL- NO-1/2 functions
With the SONY Z1R

I am debating between the old SPL and the old NO 1
And the new No. 2 THAT YOU HAVE
Or the original Sony amplifier for the Z1R

Thanks for your response

I have to buy the original SPL - how different it is in sound versus number 2

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #277 of 311
I'd be happy if you could tell me
How SPL- NO-1/2 functions
With the SONY Z1R

One major difference between the Phonitor 1 and Phonitor 2 is the output impedance. I believe the original Phonitor (and Auditor) had a 9 ohm output, whereas the Phonitor 2 has a 0.18 ohm output. The effect a low output impedance like 0.18 has on the sound is a tighter sound character for lower impedance headphones like the Z1R. The Z1R is 64 ohm, so it might not be negatively affected by the 9 ohm output of the Phonitor 1. But with the Phonitor 2 you'd be comfortably below the threshold where the impedance mismatch would have a negative effect on the sound.

Apart from that the Phonitor 2 has lower distortion, lower noise, lower crosstalk, and is more powerful as well. Unless you can get the Phonitor 1 for cheap, the Phonitor 2 is simply a better amp. And with headphones of the caliber of the Z1R, the difference should be audible.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #278 of 311
One major difference between the Phonitor 1 and Phonitor 2 is the output impedance. I believe the original Phonitor (and Auditor) had a 9 ohm output, whereas the Phonitor 2 has a 0.18 ohm output. The effect a low output impedance like 0.18 has on the sound is a tighter sound character for lower impedance headphones like the Z1R. The Z1R is 64 ohm, so it might not be negatively affected by the 9 ohm output of the Phonitor 1. But with the Phonitor 2 you'd be comfortably below the threshold where the impedance mismatch would have a negative effect on the sound.

Apart from that the Phonitor 2 has lower distortion, lower noise, lower crosstalk, and is more powerful as well. Unless you can get the Phonitor 1 for cheap, the Phonitor 2 is simply a better amp. And with headphones of the caliber of the Z1R, the difference should be audible.

thank you very much for the quick answer
1. Is the difference between 1 and 2 so large in sound ????
2. I have the old NO 1 for $ 1200 USD
3. Aiming that you have the 2nd how is with the Z1R
4. At the moment I am using the Luxman P-1U amplification

thanks a lot for the answer

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #279 of 311
thank you very much for the quick answer
1. Is the difference between 1 and 2 so large in sound ????
4. At the moment I am using the Luxman P-1U amplification

Here we run into the limits of my ability to help. I used to own the SPL Auditor for a few years, then I sold it and bought a Sennheiser HDVD 800. I recently sold that and bought an SPL Phonitor X. Because there's a gap of several years between owning the Auditor and Phonitor X, I can't compare how they sound. The Phonitor X is better. But I can't honestly say by how much because it's been so long since I heard the Auditor. And there are so few owners of SPL amps on these (or any other) forums that it might be hard to find someone who has heard both. The Phonitor 2 is better, but I don't know if it's so much better it'd be worth upgrading.

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #280 of 311
Here we run into the limits of my ability to help. I used to own the SPL Auditor for a few years, then I sold it and bought a Sennheiser HDVD 800. I recently sold that and bought an SPL Phonitor X. Because there's a gap of several years between owning the Auditor and Phonitor X, I can't compare how they sound. The Phonitor X is better. But I can't honestly say by how much because it's been so long since I heard the Auditor. And there are so few owners of SPL amps on these (or any other) forums that it might be hard to find someone who has heard both. The Phonitor 2 is better, but I don't know if it's so much better it'd be worth upgrading.
1. I have the number 2 $ 1850 on Amazon
2. I have the number 1 used at 1200 USD - from a private person who is a member of the forum
3. I have the X in Amazon also at 2145 USD
4. The SONY Amazon 2200 USD

Is SPL Phonitor Versus New Sony Amplifier To Z1R

Is significant in favor of SPL Phonitor

In terms of sound?

Thank you very much and this is my last question

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #281 of 311
1. I have the number 2 $ 1850 on Amazon
2. I have the number 1 used at 1200 USD - from a private person who is a member of the forum
3. I have the X in Amazon also at 2145 USD
4. The SONY Amazon 2200 USD

Is SPL Phonitor Versus New Sony Amplifier To Z1R

Is significant in favor of SPL Phonitor

In terms of sound?

Thank you very much and this is my last question

Not an easy decision. By the Sony, I assume you mean the Sony TA-ZH1ES. I also looked at it before I bought the Phonitor X, as it's a nice design. I decided against it, because of impressions and comparisons here and there that suggested it isn't quite up to par with dedicated components in the same price class. Meaning it's a good design, as combo units go. But it can't compare to a similarly priced dedicated amplifier like the Phonitor 2, or a dedicated separate DAC in the price range either. But I haven't heard it myself, so all I had to go on was the various impressions scattered on the net. The reason I picked the Phonitor X is that I use it as a pre-amp for my speakers, and it seemed a better-suited design than the Phonitor 2, as it, for example, has RCA outputs for speakers on the back. In terms of sound, the specs for the Phonitor 2 and Phonitor X are so similar, it looks like they're using the exact same components. It's not like the difference between the Phonitor 1 and Phonitor 2, where the specs listed are clearly different. Personally, I'd go for the Phonitor 2 over the Phonitor 1. I think it's probably worth it. If you buy other low impedance high-end headphones in the future, like something from Audeze, it'll still be perfectly suitable for them, whereas the Phonitor 1 wouldn't be playing to its strengths. The Phonitor 2 is the more flexible longer term.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #282 of 311
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #283 of 311
@TheManko

Thank you very much for the advice
And I definitely ordered number 2
for several reasons
Especially those things you brought before I did not notice

I have a new problem

The XLR with my SA-11 S1 are Japanese reversed from the European SPL

JAPAN XLR OUT

3. It is the hot +
2. It's cold -
1.GND

In SPL XLR inputs

2.It's hot +
3. It's cold -
1. It is GND

What to do ?

In P-1U I have no such problem as Japanese
But there is also a phase invert

Is there anything like this in SPL-2?

thank you for the answer

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #284 of 311
@TheManko

The XLR with my SA-11 S1 are Japanese reversed from the European SPL

But there is also a phase invert

Is there anything like this in SPL-2?

thank you for the answer

I just had a quick read through the Phonitor 2 manual, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to phase invert the XLR inputs. There's a phase switch on the front, but it only switches the phase of either L or R 180 degrees. Seems like they didn't foresee someone using it with a different pin standard.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #285 of 311
I just had a quick read through the Phonitor 2 manual, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to phase invert the XLR inputs. There's a phase switch on the front, but it only switches the phase of either L or R 180 degrees. Seems like they didn't foresee someone using it with a different pin standard.
, Thank you very much for your amazing help.
Apparently I'll have to change cables ?????
My XLR are black English carnitalium

a phase invert
A problem

in SPL-2?

RL

How do you connect ???? To your device
SLP-2- TO
DAC ./CD

The front is not that then.......
I still could not understand WAY
What is .IT
The choice was really