SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Jan 18, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #256 of 311
Had my SPL Phonitor 2 paired with my Oppo HA-1. . .

Wow!

Really brings the best out of the dac, very impressed.

The Oppo built in amp does a good job, but with the Phonitor 2 music just pops out of black hole, it sounds so detailed and rich. Very nice indeed and a excellent combo.

The splitter's work great connecting my monitors and sub. So if you want more XLR outs just get some splitters as they work a treat, no need for the expansion box!

It's good a tonne of power as well, I this can drive anything you throw at it with ease.

Excellent piece of kit!

gs1000.gif

May 4, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #259 of 311
  Had my SPL Phonitor 2 paired with my Oppo HA-1. . .

Wow!

Really brings the best out of the dac, very impressed.

The Oppo built in amp does a good job, but with the Phonitor 2 music just pops out of black hole, it sounds so detailed and rich. Very nice indeed and a excellent combo.

The splitter's work great connecting my monitors and sub. So if you want more XLR outs just get some splitters as they work a treat, no need for the expansion box!

It's good a tonne of power as well, I this can drive anything you throw at it with ease.

Excellent piece of kit!

gs1000.gif

Waiting on my new PHONITOR 2 this week. Same setup. How do you have the OPPO/PHONITOR connected? Settings?
Much appreciated.

May 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #260 of 311
Just bought a SPL Phonitor 2 two days ago.

Now I'm listening with following setup:

- Auralic Aries mini
- Chord Hugo
- SPL Phonitor 2
- Hifiman Edition X

The setup sounds fantastic for me. Compared to the internal headphone amplifier of the Chord Hugo it's a great step forward.
Details are more contoured, the Phonitor 2 plays like a fortress.

Found a funny detail inside, Minions are working for SPL and doing a kind of quality control :wink:

May 12, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #262 of 311
Was using the OPPO HA-1 as DAC/amp, but after getting the SPL PHONITOR 2 and using the OPPO as a DAC, I have to say that the difference is night/day. Soundstage, detail, BASS!!!, sound reproduction, instrument fidelity, punch....

Listening to the end of Bruckner's 8th symphony - heard the instruments in ways I hadn't before...

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #266 of 311

SPL PHONITOR 2.....  LEHMANN CUBE SE....  PS AUDIO DLIII DAC....

If +/- 60v (ie 120v swing) is what SPL have determined for their circuitry that allows such fabulous performance (s/n ratio is amazing) then why question if it is necessary?
I have a Lovely Cube which had originally been beautifully built with PUKKA parts, has been totally modified and is now BEYOND the LEHMANN SE spec (ie it has BETTER wiring, BETTER CAPS, genuine Phillips transistors, a replacement TRANSFORMER and DUAL MONO ICs, properly biased) and I have a PS Audio DLIII DAC which has had a voltage change and a number of mods PLUS also a transformer replacement.  I replaced the transformer on my Lovely Cube from +/-12v with a higher spec, better quality +/-15v one, and did the same on my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC too, both still run within the parameters of the rest of the circuit, and it improved the dynamics of both significantly. They have been running happily for a long time now like that. I also tend to put damping material on the inside of the casing/chassis, and on any ICs, as it really does make a difference.

I had, shortly after purchasing my Phonitor 2,  contacted Stefan Audio Art who are well known for their headphone-associated mods, and in particular they offer various mods to some Headphone amps, but when I asked them about the possibility of improving the Phonitor 2 with some bespoke mods, their answer was that in their view it was an extremely well put together unit which they did not feel they could improve the sound of. That's a pretty good recommendation I reckon!  All the 'standard' (ie non-audiophile) ICs in the Phonitor are NOT in the signal path.

However, I HAVE damped the insides, base and top of the casing with bituminous pads....and felt this was worthwhile.

By the way, I am using my Phonitor II as a pre-amp through an SPL Passeq and an SPL M-S Master into ATC SCM150ASL active speakers. It replaced an Audio Research Reference II.
In 45 years of enjoying fiddling, it is without a doubt the best sounding system I have ever used.

Headphones used are: Grado RS-1, BeyerDynamic T1 Tesslas, AKG K702

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #269 of 311

Anyone know the difference between the Phonitor 2 and the new Phonitor X?

1. "Separate connections and power amplifiers for headphone driven balanced and unbalanced " + VOLTair Techonology.

Don't know how that translates sound-wise though. Waiting for reviews.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #270 of 311
Also nice that the Phonitor X includes a DAC. Would be interesting to do blind A/B tests with the Grace M920.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back