SPL Auditor. Most analyitical SS amp for under a grand?
Dec 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #16 of 25
For me, "analytical" is from the word "anal". Analyzing the record to the point of being anal. Like an anally boring 45 yo bookkeper who is asking his wife why did she buy this for $1.24 when she could buy that (similar) for $1.23. You get the point.

I do not have an Audithor, but listen to Phonitor. I absolutely can not say it is analytical in the above sense. It is transparent and revealing, but it does not anally exaggerate every flaw to the poing you want to dump all your chain and buy a new one. It is revealing but not boringly anal. However, it does not cover anything and will reveal the truth about the rest of your chain. Yet, once you manage to get a proper source (analogue sounding) and neutral but revealing interconnects (carbon fiber are my personal favorites), and a proper power (it does benefit from a clean power), it becomes a true bliss. I assume this is true for Auditor as well, because they are sort of brothers
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #17 of 25
Well, I am actually preparing a big review of the SPL Auditor at this time, but it is taking me a lot of time, and my conclusions are not final yet. But here is a first answer: Yes, the Auditor is probably the most revealing headphone amp I heard.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 25
If absolutely dead-nuts-neutral was an requirement for a balanced amp, I'd suggest the Audio-gd Roc or find someone selling a Phoenix for $1k.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaféNoir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am actually preparing a big review of the SPL Auditor at this time, but it is taking me a lot of time, and my conclusions are not final yet. But here is a first answer: Yes, the Auditor is probably the most revealing headphone amp I heard.

Auditor vs Phonitor; can Phonitor really be that better or is it more expensive because it has more options on the control panel and VU meters?

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditor vs Phonitor; can Phonitor really be that better or is it more expensive because it has more options on the control panel and VU meters?

AFAIK, the Phonitor and Auditor amp section is the exact same, these features are what contribute to the higher cost of the Phonitor (along with nicer cosmetics)

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, "analytical" is from the word "anal". Analyzing the record to the point of being anal. Like an anally boring 45 yo bookkeper who is asking his wife why did she buy this for $1.24 when she could buy that (similar) for $1.23. You get the point.

I do not have an Audithor, but listen to Phonitor. I absolutely can not say it is analytical in the above sense. It is transparent and revealing, but it does not anally exaggerate every flaw to the poing you want to dump all your chain and buy a new one. It is revealing but not boringly anal. However, it does not cover anything and will reveal the truth about the rest of your chain. Yet, once you manage to get a proper source (analogue sounding) and neutral but revealing interconnects (carbon fiber are my personal favorites), and a proper power (it does benefit from a clean power), it becomes a true bliss. I assume this is true for Auditor as well, because they are sort of brothers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes I like anal & 'boring.' I love to hear everything on a recording.. My audio metric DT48a are great for this.. They seem over analytical.. I would buy Georges Auditor, but I spent around 700 on headphones etc, in the past month 1/2..

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 25
I agree.
I think Auditor is slightly less revealing as m902's amp part, but it is very close.
With revealing amps like them, the source will become very important.
You feed them with cold sounding source, and you will get a freezing cold sound.
Auditor is much better than some other amps which is tuned for particular phones in terms of simply revealing what's from the source instead of impeding its own sound signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'd consider the Auditor to be revealing rather than analytical, to my ears at least. It's a totally transparent headphone amp that doesn't miss any details in a recording, but I suppose I equate think of analytical to mean that a component is slightly bright, which it's not.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck explaining that one to the girlfriend.

I am happy to be blessed with a very understanding wife (as well, she is beautiful and smart). She actually (believe it or not) buys me various hi-fi gear as gifts, and I often use her as a "golden ear" when A-B'ing stuff. And she doesn't object me spending cash on my toys - if I spend some cash on her toys (clothes etc) as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back