Spirit Torino Valkyria
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #751 of 1,000
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #752 of 1,000
Yes, I used an adapter made by Spirit Torino with the same cable of the Valkyria cables.

https://www.spirittorino.com/collec...6-3mm-valkyria-adapter?variant=46980286251345

The type of termination in itself has arguably little to no influence on the V. performances. Unless 100% sure to use an amp with 6.3mm output, I would get XLR out plus adapter.

By the way Andrea Ricci is always very helpful and could reterminate the Valkyria for you if you prefer avoiding an adapter.
And one more question - did you notice a really substantial improvement in Valkyria's sound when you moved from Chord DAVE with jack 6.3mm to the external headphone amplifier with XLR? Of course one thing is the better amplifier itself; the other one - going from the single ended jack 6.3mm to the balanced XLR headphone output.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #753 of 1,000
Don't you think - provided Chord DAVE had balanced XLR input - Valkyria would sound better?

Yes, but - as you mentioned - only if the internals of the DAVE would have been balanced (which is not the case AFAIK). The connector itself should not make a significant difference if it does not reflect the topology of the device (and ideally of the whole upstream chain). Another example is my AIC-10 amplifier, which is SE by design and the XLR inputs / HP output have been added for convenience only.

In one of the previous posts you have written:

"Coming back to the Valkyria, in building a system around them, unlike say AB-1266, Susvara, SR1a, Stax (where amp matching comes first) I would prioritise the source components over amplification".

Would you also prioritise the Valkyria itself over amplification?
I mean jack 6.3mm single ended headphone output from a high quality DAC or SACD/CD player plus the Valkyria to start with?
And later - if some pennies left and/or saved - a really good headphone amplifier with balanced outputs (XLR or Pentaconn 4.4mm)?

Well, this (i.e. avoding a dedicated amp altogether, and replacing it - although temporarily - with a source HP out) is a bit of a stretch of my statement above, but it could work provided that such DAC or SACD / CD player has a good HP out.

Ideally, you would want to be able to validate this by an upfront listening test, as dedicated source components often do not have a capable enough (quality and/or quantity-wise) HP out. There are exceptions as the Chord DAVE or the T+A SDV 3100 HV (mentioning the only ones I have personally tried), and of course more options by selecting DAC / amp combos within the head-fi gear marketplace (here the T+A HA200 comes to my mind).

Then, when further funds are available, you can add a proper amplifier where you can optimize the synergy with the Valkyria by trial and error / tube rolling (if applicable), etc. (I am not a fan of selecting source components on the basis of tonality synergy with a specific headphone model).

So yes, if you really like the Valkyria sound presentation, you can get 75-80% of what they can give by using a good integrated DAC / amp or DAC with great HP out as a stopgap while saving for their endgame companion amplifier.

And one more question - did you notice a really substantial improvement in Valkyria's sound when you moved from Chord DAVE with jack 6.3mm to the external headphone amplifier with XLR? Of course one thing is the better amplifier itself; the other one - going from the single ended jack 6.3mm to the balanced XLR headphone output.

The Valkyria out of the AIC-10 sounds significantly more satisfying for my tastes compared to driving it from the DAVE direct. The DAVE out was more transparent, there was slightly improved micro-dynamic contrast and instrument separation, but the overall tonal balance, presentation 3D drama, attack / decay structure and macro-dynamics oomph I got with the Riviera and the "right" tube (G73-R in my case) delivers holistically a more engaging experience.

By the way, driving the Valkyria from the Riviera XLR out or the 6.3mm with the adapter does not make a noticeable change in sound to my ears.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #754 of 1,000
Yes, but - as you mentioned - only if the internals of the DAVE would have been balanced (which is not the case AFAIK). The connector itself should not make a significant difference if it does not reflect the topology of the device (and ideally of the whole upstream chain). Another example is my AIC-10 amplifier, which is SE by design and the XLR inputs / HP output have been added for convenience only.

Well, this (i.e. avoding a dedicated amp altogether, and replacing it - although temporarily - with a source HP out) is a bit of a stretch of my statement above, but it could work provided that such DAC or SACD / CD player has a good HP out.

Ideally, you would want to be able to validate this by an upfront listening test, as dedicated source components often do not have a capable enough (quality and/or quantity-wise) HP out. There are exceptions as the Chord DAVE or the T+A SDV 3100 HV (mentioning the only ones I have personally tried), and of course more options by selecting DAC / amp combos within the head-fi gear marketplace (here the T+A HA200 comes to my mind).

Then, when further funds are available, you can add a proper amplifier where you can optimize the synergy with the Valkyria by trial and error / tube rolling (if applicable), etc. (I am not a fan of selecting source components on the basis of tonality synergy with a specific headphone model).

So yes, if you really like the Valkyria sound presentation, you can get 75-80% of what they can give by using a good integrated DAC / amp or DAC with great HP out as a stopgap while saving for their endgame companion amplifier.

The Valkyria out of the AIC-10 sounds significantly more satisfying for my tastes compared to driving it from the DAVE direct. The DAVE out was more transparent, there was slightly improved micro-dynamic contrast and instrument separation, but the overall tonal balance, presentation 3D drama, attack / decay structure and macro-dynamics oomph I got with the Riviera and the "right" tube (G73-R in my case) delivers holistically a more engaging experience.

By the way, driving the Valkyria from the Riviera XLR out or the 6.3mm with the adapter does not make a noticeable change in sound to my ears.

That's something.
Thank you very much indeed for all your answers.

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #755 of 1,000
A match made in heaven. Valkyria + Primavera combo is just mesmerizing.

DxO_DeepPRIMEXD_L1020407-DNG.jpg

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #756 of 1,000
Fantastic pic 🥰

Would be very interested to hear people’s experience with the CFA3 and Valkryia vs. some of these other dedicated amps (like the Primavera).

(Fully expecting to hear good things about Elrogs upstream of the CFA3 before the Valkyria gets involved. Based on the gain available on my CFA3 on my Phi TC I wonder where all the oomph goes on something like the Spirit Torino!)

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #757 of 1,000
Fantastic pic 🥰
Thanks

Would be very interested to hear people’s experience with the CFA3 and Valkryia vs. some of these other dedicated amps (like the Primavera).

(Fully expecting to hear good things about Elrogs upstream of the CFA3 before the Valkyria gets involved. Based on the gain available on my CFA3 on my Phi TC I wonder where all the oomph goes on something like the Spirit Torino!)
CFA3 is also great with Valkyria, but Primavera is better. I have to use attenuator cable with CFA3 due to the buzzing noise (perhaps due to a combination of more power + amp topology).

For the record, I use my 300B preamp for both CFA3 and Primavera. I feel that the bass has a lot more weight and punch with Primavera, especially the sub-bass, though it still below CA1a's level. For now, I think the soundstage is just a tad more intimate on Primavera, but let's see when it's already fully burned in.

Midrange and treble are equally wonderful with both amps, but perhaps Primavera edges CFA3 a bit on the naturalness. Overall, I think Primavera is a better match for Valkyria.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #758 of 1,000
A match made in heaven. Valkyria + Primavera combo is just mesmerizing.

Wow, what a spectacular shot :astonished:. The Primavera is a stunner, and this light grey version is simply a joy to look at, not to speak about how your ears must be delighted!

I'd be interested in your thoughts about how the character of the Valkyria changes when your tube preamp is used as well, and what are the differences, similarities between the Valkyria and the CA-1a, which I have never heard personally, but I am curious about.

... and about aural - and spiritual - joys, the disc below has all it takes for carrying us to some beautiful places. Apart from being a sonic marvel, and a spectacular display for the virtues of our beloved divine maiden-named headphone (it is such an organic recording, with a magisterial capture of the venue), this music has a rare balance between the holy and the wordly, even mundane at times, which comes across as an inspirational, varied palette of inputs for the heart, mind and body.

Take a tranquil night, some deep breaths and dive into this balsam for the soul. Everything else disappears :L3000:.

1694371645737.png

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #759 of 1,000
Wow, what a spectacular shot :astonished:. The Primavera is a stunner, and this light grey version is simply a joy to look at, not to speak about how your ears must be delighted!
Thanks! And yes Primavera is such a beautiful amp, both in appearance as well as sound 👌🏼

I'd be interested in your thoughts about how the character of the Valkyria changes when your tube preamp is used as well, and what are the differences, similarities between the Valkyria and the CA-1a, which I have never heard personally, but I am curious about.
As I’ve mentioned in my earlier post, my 300B preamp will always be in the signal path no matter which amp I’m using. The magical sound of 300B tubes is just something that I can’t un-hear 😅

The main difference between Valkyria and CA1a is mostly in the sub-bass region. CA1a digs deeper, although when paired with Primavera, the Valkyria can close the gap further. Both have very natural timbre, but Valkyria has more weight and density to the notes whereas the CA1a is a bit airy and lighter. Imaging and layering is also excellent with both, and Primavera seems to create this holographic Dolby Atmos-like soundstage. It really is incredible! All in all, with the Primavera, Valkyria and CA1a have a lot more in common, while the noticeable difference lies in sub-bass and note density (not by much though).

The other thing I’ve noticed after more hours of listening, the Valkyria + Primavera combo sounds super clear and transparent, while maintaining Valkyria’s notes density with enough amount of warmth.

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #760 of 1,000
I have ordered special cabling to pług my Valkyria to the speaker terminals of my Bakoon 13r.

I happily use the AIC-10 speaker taps for the AB-1266
Do your cables incorporate any resistance to step down the power from the speaker taps? If so, what value resistor?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #764 of 1,000
Listening to this album as I type on Valkyria + Primavera combo, and this is the best I’ve heard of this album out of a headphone system. I’ve only heard as good as this on a vinyl based 2 channel rig. Valkyria suits old jazz recording very well as it adds a much needed density and weight while maintaining a highly transparent sound. Not even CA1a is able to do this nor Valkyria w/ CFA3 combo. It’s just so damn good!! Oh and of course nowadays I convert every signal to DSD512 in Roon using 7th order CLANS. Makes a lot of difference.

IMG_3143.png

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #765 of 1,000
Fortepiano
In the past 2+ decades we see more and more HIP (Historically Informed Performance) recordings.
When the term "Fortepiano" is used, it is usually referred to a piano which is different from the modern piano. Mostly due to string tension and frame material.

But there are many different generations and manufacturers of fortepianos, including those that were restored and newly built (like those built by: Paul McNulty).
All have a different and distinct sound.
Usually the fortepiano mechanism is "noisier" than that of a modern piano, and many recordings expose that.
Those who are accustomed to the modern piano sound may find, at first, the fortepiano sound signature a bit thin, lacking in body and lower registers.
However, when trying to leave out (or getting used to) these differences, you notice that the fortepiano produces more insights into the music. Mostly because it was originally written and performed on such instruments.

The Valkyria's tonality and its ability to reproduce the sound of acoustic instruments comes greatly into play when listening to recordings of fortepiano.
All the nuances, clicks and clangs, as well as pedal pressing and string vibrations are exposed to the listener in an immediate way.
Great recordings and performances are absolutely breathtaking and provide further insights into the musical message passed by the composer.

Ronald Brautigam has many fortepiano recordings. He is a master of the fortepiano. You can listen to his complete recordings of Mozart's and Beethoven's piano concertos as well as their piano sonatas.
He recently released the complete Impromptus composed by Schubert. Highly recommended! Try comparing with modern piano recordings of this piece.
91Xn9irD4hL._SL1500_.jpg

Paul Badura-Skoda is also one of the pioneers of HIP (forte)piano recordings.
One of my references for HIP recordings is his complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycle, recorded by the french ASTREE label, later released by Naive.
Very highly recommended. Again, try comparing to modern piano recordings of the same cycle.
bjhs6tplmw9ec_600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back