Spirit Torino Valkyria
May 30, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #107 of 1,000
Well there certainly are Things to critizise on the Torino, but the Design looks fine to me

May 30, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #108 of 1,000
Well there certainly are Things to critizise on the Torino, but the Design looks fine to me
Oh no, it most certainly is ugly to look at. And is most irrelevant, in any case.

Take down all your mirrors, you ****ing narcissists. :laughing:

May 30, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #109 of 1,000
At the beginning I also felt it’s a bit over the top. But slowly the design grew on me and I think design-wise it‘s a good contrast to Susvara.

May 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #110 of 1,000
At the beginning I also felt it’s a bit over the top. But slowly the design grew on me and I think design-wise it‘s a good contrast to Susvara.
I like it, certainly not my most favourite Design but it's not ugly.

What I really don't like is the decision that the cable isn't detachable. That's only acceptable on cheap headphones or if they come with lifetime warranty

May 30, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #111 of 1,000
I like it, certainly not my most favourite Design but it's not ugly.

What I really don't like is the decision that the cable isn't detachable. That's only acceptable on cheap headphones or if they come with lifetime warranty
Agree that it’s not ugly….it’s just bling-y

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #113 of 1,000
I have been listening to the Vakyria for a couple of weeks now, comparing them to my Abyss AB1266. The source was an M-Scaler/Dave streaming from Roon/iMac. For amplification, I used a Riviera AIC-10 and Dave. I also tried an Audiovalve RKV HAA Edition.

The build quality is amazing, you have to see it in person to do it justice. Even better than e.g., the Meze Empyrian. It is like fine jewellery. I find the design tasteful, not too blingy. Nice integrated (non-interchangeable) cable - flexible, non-microphonic, also superb build quality. The construction is very solid - in particular, the isobaric drivers are enclosed in a solid aluminium block. As a result it is heavy, but nevertheless rests well on my head. The weight is well distributed across the wide and well-padded leather headband. The clamping pressure is light and the soft pads rest comfortably against my ears. I was able to wear for hours without fatigue.

The Valkyria has a beautiful, smooth sound, without losing detail. It has a rich tonal balance, the midrange being particularly nice. Instruments sound more natural - drums, cymbals, cello, flute, saxophone, bass guitar, etc. I can hear great detail, e.g., bowing on cello. Voices are smoother, e.g., Neil Young, Joni Mitchell. There is a bass emphasis relative to the Abyss, but it is not quite as deep or detailed. The Valkyria has excellent soundstage and imaging. The Abyss has a somewhat larger, more open soundstage, but it can sound a bit distant at times in comparison to the Valkyria.

Wrt amp pairing, the Valkyria is very easy to drive. It had excellent sound on a DAP (Lootoo Paw Gold) - I think the best DAP-based sound I have ever heard. They are also easily driven direct from DAVE. The Riviera has a rich sound which pairs very well with the Abyss but is perhaps too much with the Valkyria on some music - although it did help to use low output. It sounded best on the DAVE direct vs through the Riviera. More balanced, clearer sound.

Overall I find the Valkyria enjoyable to listen to and very engaging! In the end, I voted with my wallet and bought them. They will be an excellent complement to the Abyss.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #114 of 1,000
I have been listening to the Vakyria for a couple of weeks now, comparing them to my Abyss AB1266. The source was an M-Scaler/Dave streaming from Roon/iMac. For amplification, I used a Riviera AIC-10 and Dave. I also tried an Audiovalve RKV HAA Edition.

The build quality is amazing, you have to see it in person to do it justice. Even better than e.g., the Meze Empyrian. It is like fine jewellery. I find the design tasteful, not too blingy. Nice integrated (non-interchangeable) cable - flexible, non-microphonic, also superb build quality. The construction is very solid - in particular, the isobaric drivers are enclosed in a solid aluminium block. As a result it is heavy, but nevertheless rests well on my head. The weight is well distributed across the wide and well-padded leather headband. The clamping pressure is light and the soft pads rest comfortably against my ears. I was able to wear for hours without fatigue.

The Valkyria has a beautiful, smooth sound, without losing detail. It has a rich tonal balance, the midrange being particularly nice. Instruments sound more natural - drums, cymbals, cello, flute, saxophone, bass guitar, etc. I can hear great detail, e.g., bowing on cello. Voices are smoother, e.g., Neil Young, Joni Mitchell. There is a bass emphasis relative to the Abyss, but it is not quite as deep or detailed. The Valkyria has excellent soundstage and imaging. The Abyss has a somewhat larger, more open soundstage, but it can sound a bit distant at times in comparison to the Valkyria.

Wrt amp pairing, the Valkyria is very easy to drive. It had excellent sound on a DAP (Lootoo Paw Gold) - I think the best DAP-based sound I have ever heard. They are also easily driven direct from DAVE. The Riviera has a rich sound which pairs very well with the Abyss but is perhaps too much with the Valkyria on some music - although it did help to use low output. It sounded best on the DAVE direct vs through the Riviera. More balanced, clearer sound.

Overall I find the Valkyria enjoyable to listen to and very engaging! In the end, I voted with my wallet and bought them. They will be an excellent complement to the Abyss.

Hi @Mikey99, congrats and thanks for sharing your notes! I agree with everything you reported, and I'd like to reinforce how complementary the Valkyria are to the AB-1266 ... they are the two most 'exciting' headphones I tried (together with the SR1a), but they do their magic in a very different way.

Where the Abyss impress with their bass extension, theatrical soundstage and transparency, the Valkyria get in your blood with timbre density, dynamics and harmonics richness.

After a rather long and expensive optimization path (culminated to a Superconductor cable, an AIC-10 equipped with a very special NOS Mullard tube from the 50's I found after a long chase and many pairing attempts, a very fine cable loom), I tend to believe that I have maxed out what I can get from the AB-1266, including their tuning for my specific tastes. As such, I would even define their sound "smooth", in that the grain is extremely fine, sibilance is gone and in general I do not find any particular harshness anymore (unless it is inherent to a given recording).

What the Valkyria brings to the table is a darker, more masculine tonal balance, with a fuller, more sonorous character from the midrange down to the bass, and an evenly distributed, seemingly unlimited dynamic drive in that same region. Compared to the mildly V-shaped signature of the AB-1266, this produces a more focused, less expansive and airy soundscape, and a more visceral emotional connection with all midrange-centric content.

The AB-1266 are still king when it comes to sub-bass and out-of-your-head experience, and they are my go-to choice for electronica and - with exceptions - for very large orchestral compositions.

Something I came to appreciate of the Valkyria is how they bring life into anemic recordings that you can sometimes find in older classical albums and even in some classic rock ones (see below). In these situations, the Abyss sound a tad thin / dry and the thicker, richer presentation of the Valkyria makes up for a much more enjoyable experience.

pollini.png brothers.png

The two albums below are a perfect example why one would like to go as far as having these two headphones at hand. A Kiss in the Dark is a spectacular binaural recording, very fun and enjoyable with the Abyss, but the Valkyria takes the realism of the timbres to the next level, making you really believe Alexis is singing for you in the flesh.

With Homogenic, the sub-bass kick in from the AB-1266, their holographic detail and sparkle, their transparency is - to me - just untouchable by the V. (or by any other headphones I tried, for that matter).

alexis-cole.png bjork.png

Finally, this album is an example of how to reach listening Nirvana through alternative paths. With the AB-1266 you 'hear' the venue with its character and subtle cues, and you look through a very clear and transparent window into the event, the layered arrangement of the musicians is stunningly obvious. With the Valkyria, the instruments seem more 'right' both in tonality and dynamics (especially the piano, the drums and the trumpet), the energy coming from the musicians is projected at you with more immediacy and viscerality.

interplay.png

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #115 of 1,000
Took the plunge, the Valkyria has been ordered! Should arrive in about 4 weeks :)

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #116 of 1,000
Took the plunge, the Valkyria has been ordered! Should arrive in about 4 weeks :)
Congratulations! I really hope you will enjoy them as much as I am ... as you wait for them to be delivered here is a playlist where the Valkyria truly shine.

The texture of the cello and the singing tone of Jacqueline du Pre' are especially moving.

Acoustic guitars are devoid of any overly metallic haze, while electric ones are full of energy and grunt.

And piano ... OK I repeat myself, but I would justify having the Valkyria for how they render piano alone.

Screenshot_20210620-202601_Roon.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-202523_Roon.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-202336_Roon-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20210620-202306_Roon.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #117 of 1,000
Thanks, Simone. You always have great music suggestions! I look forward to listening to these tracks through the V, can't wait :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #118 of 1,000
Congratulations! I really hope you will enjoy them as much as I am ... as you wait for them to be delivered here is a playlist where the Valkyria truly shine.

The texture of the cello and the singing tone of Jacqueline du Pre' are especially moving.

Acoustic guitars are devoid of any overly metallic haze, while electric ones are full of energy and grunt.

And piano ... OK I repeat myself, but I would justify having the Valkyria for how they render piano alone.

I know these du Pré performances very well! Good tip, listening to them now on the Valkyria.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #120 of 1,000
I am just listening to the Valk with my Cayin N8. Johnny Cash "Ain't no Grave". Incredible what that combo can do! I never thought there would be any headphone worth 12k. But this... :astonished:
Just wait until you hear it on dCS Bartok and Viva Egoista 845, haha :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back