Spirit Torino Valkyria
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #122 of 1,010
I am keen but would have to raid my pension savings…

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #123 of 1,010
What are the differences between the Spirit Torino Valkyria and the Stax SR009?
Since you’re lucky to be in Torino you might just go visit the manufacturer and find out by yourself…

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #124 of 1,010
What are the differences between the Spirit Torino Valkyria and the Stax SR009?

The Valkyria and the SR009 are extremely different sounding headphones.

Both are able to define the limit of reproduced personal audio, and sometimes transcend it, and both have their own, strong, personality, which does not necessarily (aims to) suit everyone's tastes and all kind of genres, but the similarities stop here IMHO.

The SR009 has a comparatively more open, airy, lightfooted presentation. Paired with the utmost transparency, extreme speed and microdynamics articulation, they allow an immersive deep dive into a score by rendering all its details in a very straightforward way. Its midrange is serene, golden with bright accents moving to the lower treble.

The Valkyria have a much more prominent bass, and their tonal palette is veered towards a definitely darker region. The soundscape is denser, more cohesive and the details are more blended into the general picture. Macro-dynamics is almost lifelike. Their midrange is sonorous, masculine, amber scented.

The SR009 sound inspires, elevates, while the Valkyria transpires the flesh and blood of live acoustic music.

For me, coming from long years of continuous listening through extremely resolving, analytical, detailed headphones (AB-1266TC and RAAL SR1a among them), taking in the Valkyria has been a learning curve. The very first listening experience gave me a spark of what was very special (piano and drums were almost shocking) while leaving me dubious in other respects.

After about a month from taking the plunge, my brain (especially the right, emotional half) has enthusiastically accepted the Valkyria personality, and I feel have found the sweetspot for them to complement my AB-1266. I can imagine a similar process for somebody deeply attached to a SR009 (or a SR1a), for whom the Valkyria would be more likely a complement rather than a sustitute.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #125 of 1,010

Both are able to define the limit of reproduced personal audio, and sometimes transcend it, and both have their own, strong, personality, which does not necessarily (aims to) suit everyone's tastes and all kind of genres, but the similarities stop here IMHO.

The SR009 has a comparatively more open, airy, lightfooted presentation. Paired with the utmost transparency, extreme speed and microdynamics articulation, they allow an immersive deep dive into a score by rendering all its details in a very straightforward way. Its midrange is serene, golden with bright accents moving to the lower treble.

The Valkyria have a much more prominent bass, and their tonal palette is veered towards a definitely darker region. The soundscape is denser, more cohesive and the details are more blended into the general picture. Macro-dynamics is almost lifelike. Their midrange is sonorous, masculine, amber scented.

The SR009 sound inspires, elevates, while the Valkyria transpires the flesh and blood of live acoustic music.

For me, coming from long years of continuous listening through extremely resolving, analytical, detailed headphones (AB-1266TC and RAAL SR1a among them), taking in the Valkyria has been a learning curve. The very first listening experience gave me a spark of what was very special (piano and drums were almost shocking) while leaving me dubious in other respects.

After about a month from taking the plunge, my brain (especially the right, emotional half) has enthusiastically accepted the Valkyria personality, and I feel have found the sweetspot for them to complement my AB-1266. I can imagine a similar process for somebody deeply attached to a SR009 (or a SR1a), for whom the Valkyria would be more likely a complement rather than a sustitute.
I am interested in a headphone that reproduces more faithfully or realistically the sound heard when listening to a live instrument (violin, trumpet, ....).

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #126 of 1,010
I am interested in a headphone that reproduces more faithfully or realistically the sound heard when listening to a live instrument (violin, trumpet, ....).
The Valkyria has been designed and is made exactly with that purpose in mind

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #127 of 1,010

OMG, Simone, you are such a good writer. You are more talented at describing differences than any reviewer I know. Well done, as usual.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #128 of 1,010

That may seem a rather plain and simple request at first sight, but it actually underlies a very broad and complex topic.

If we focus to the most immediate part, i.e. the timbre of acoustic instruments, I believe this is one of the strongest assets of the Valkyria, and personally I would have no doubt defining them as more realistic than the 009 with most acoustic instruments and vocals, and especially with violin and trumpet, for instance.

But, as we move deeper to what 'reproducing the sound heard live' may imply, then many other aspects come into play, as the experience of hearing an acoustic performance live is holistically involving spatial cues, timing accuracy (attack / decay), dynamics and physical impact, ambience characterization, immediacy (literally, the absence of media), etc. etc..

Under this more extensive definition, it is very hard to identify - at least for me - a single headphone as the most faithful / realistic. Among the ones that I have owned or heard extensively, the three that most succeed in recreating the illusion of a live performance, or evoke the feelings I have when listening live, are the AB-1266 TC, the Valkyria and the RAAL SR1a. The interesting thing is that they succeed in very different ways and to varying extent depending on the musical program and recording technique.

As an example, I am currently listening to this with the Valkyria, and just by closing my eyes I can really fool myself that I am on stage with Mischa and Martha :yum:

maisky.png

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #129 of 1,010
That may seem a rather plain and simple request at first sight, but it actually underlies a very broad and complex topic.

If we focus to the most immediate part, i.e. the timbre of acoustic instruments, I believe this is one of the strongest assets of the Valkyria, and personally I would have no doubt defining them as more realistic than the 009 with most acoustic instruments and vocals, and especially with violin and trumpet, for instance.

But, as we move deeper to what 'reproducing the sound heard live' may imply, then many other aspects come into play, as the experience of hearing an acoustic performance live is holistically involving spatial cues, timing accuracy (attack / decay), dynamics and physical impact, ambience characterization, immediacy (literally, the absence of media), etc. etc..

Under this more extensive definition, it is very hard to identify - at least for me - a single headphone as the most faithful / realistic. Among the ones that I have owned or heard extensively, the three that most succeed in recreating the illusion of a live performance, or evoke the feelings I have when listening live, are the AB-1266 TC, the Valkyria and the RAAL SR1a. The interesting thing is that they succeed in very different ways and to varying extent depending on the musical program and recording technique.

As an example, I am currently listening to this with the Valkyria, and just by closing my eyes I can really fool myself that I am on stage with Mischa and Martha :yum:

maisky.png
I agree with your impressions though I cannot compare to the others. Valkyria is an exceptional product and I don't even have a source that drives it to full potential. I find pieces with just a voice and few instruments most striking. Voice and acoustic guitar are so intimate, I feel like you - in in the audience.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #130 of 1,010

maisky.png
Instead, what are the differences between the Stax SR009 and the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Ragnarr? Which of these 2 headphones is the most realistic?

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #131 of 1,010
Instead, what are the differences between the Stax SR009 and the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Ragnarr? Which of these 2 headphones is the most realistic?

I listened to the Twin Pulse Ragnarr only for a few tracks, so I do not have a solid comparison to offer, sorry. Only worthwhile to report is that the Spirit Torino house sound was clearly recognizable on the TP as well.

As @jeffhawke suggested, as you are based in Torino the easiest and most effective way to get the feeling of how the Spirit Torino lineup sounds is to visit them in Volvera.

Another option would be contacting a shop based in Milan (https://www.facebook.com/headphonesco/, or Head-fi user @fadivi ). They have Spirit Torino, RAAL SR1a and other brands on sale, and they could also have Stax headphones available for private listening sessions, upon appointment.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #132 of 1,010
I listened to the Twin Pulse Ragnarr only for a few tracks, so I do not have a solid comparison to offer, sorry. Only worthwhile to report is that the Spirit Torino house sound was clearly recognizable on the TP as well.

As @jeffhawke suggested, as you are based in Torino the easiest and most effective way to get the feeling of how the Spirit Torino lineup sounds is to visit them in Volvera.

Another option would be contacting a shop based in Milan (https://www.facebook.com/headphonesco/, or Head-fi user @fadivi ). They have Spirit Torino, RAAL SR1a and other brands on sale, and they could also have Stax headphones available for private listening sessions, upon appointment.
In the short listen that you made what impression did you have of the twin pulse ragnarr compared to the sr009?

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #133 of 1,010

So sound realism and fidelity of instruments reproduction may be achieved by the perfect combination of Spirit Torino Valkyria and Audio GD Master 9.

And as for the DAC, always to achieve the same results, is it better the Audio GD R7 HE or the Audio GD HE-7? or maybe the Audio GD D-77?

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #134 of 1,010
So sound realism and fidelity of instruments reproduction may be achieved by the perfect combination of Spirit Torino Valkyria and Audio GD Master 9.

And as for the DAC, always to achieve the same results, is it better the Audio GD R7 HE or the Audio GD HE-7? or maybe the Audio GD D-77?
I will hopefully get Audio - GD R27 soon. This one should fit the Valkyria as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back