Spirit Torino Valkyria
Mar 19, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #481 of 1,106
I think I need to make a confession. I promised myself that if I find the ” system” or the headphones that really make me want to spend time with music again I will stop looking and try to recover from “ audiophilia “. And here I am again. falling in to it again. Under the excuse “ I need to find something for the road so I don’t destroy my Valkyria , I have started looking for gear again. Rather than spned time with music I keep looking for something……. I just probably need to find a good safe case for my Valkyria to take to hotels and stop making excuses of not listening to music and being touched by it . It’s tough to let go of the temptation of looking for something that could be or could sound like something….. only in my head. You know what I mean. Many of you like @simorag, @nrbatista and others have inspired me and encouraged with experiencing the music. Thanks. Valuable lesson. :). So here is something to give back to you all. Something that has touched me last time I listed to music. :)
FC2D912D-5A7C-402A-A6E4-5B90E0CEE910.jpeg
great album my favorite Almost blue , riveting.
A0540D17-E39B-4E42-B44C-F41422373C8E.pngtrack: Leaving, will touch you deeply

1607A7E8-EFBB-41EC-99DA-451D5436FC86.png
enjoy. :)

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #482 of 1,106
M•A Recordings - Hidden Treasures for a Desert Island

MA Recordings is a small independent label founded in 1988 by Todd Garfinkle, making outstanding minimalistically recorded productions since then.
The word that comes to mind when listening to their catalogue (mainly acoustic music, with a focus on world folklore), is 'natural'.

This is genuine food for the soul, and both the content and the recording technique align very well with the Valkyria tuning phylosophy. Listening to this music encourages to disengage the rational mind, relax and let the flow of emotions invade you.

You can find a free sampler download here: https://www.marecordings.com/ (click on the blue icon), and one of their best selling albums (Serà una Noche) on Qobuz. And what a moving and melancholically exciting album it is!

0884385929671_600.jpg

The cello on this album is as organic as it gets, the timbre is so deep and visceral, rich yet full of nuances. Meditative at times (Les Ombres), always enveloping with the trademark emphasis on ambience rendition that so effectively transports you in the venue.

cover.jpg

And here is some balcan scented solo guitar music, utterly intense and full of rippling suggestions from the very first notes.

cover.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #483 of 1,106
It did play non-stop for the first week or so, and I have not caught any major differences since then.

The Pulsar is a gem, the only reason I'm considering selling it is the Valkyria.
It sucks you right into the music and you forget about audiophile sound effects.
Before that, I found the Susvara (with the right amplification) to provide such an experience, but the Pulsar takes it a step further.

The Abyss is an odd sounding headphone, and I have not been listening to it much after its burn-in. I don't think it fits my sonic preferences.

The Stax 9000 is still here, it can certainly wow you at moments, but it can also sound fatiguing at times.
Still on the fence regarding the last two (Abyss and Stax).

I'm really looking forward to listening to the Valkyria and comparing it to the Pulsar.
Look forward to your impressions on Valkyria vs Pulsar. The Valkyria is probably the only headphone I’d still want to get, but still on the fence because of the weight. I previously thought perhaps I should get the Pulsar since it’s a bit lighter but as I read impressions from CanJam on Valkyria, I might as well get that instead.

The Abyss is a different animal, there are many variables to play around with to get the sound that I prefer. For me, fit and placement is key followed by the cable. Tubes and convolution filter are the final pieces of the puzzle. In terms of tonality, Abyss isn’t the best but it sure is a very fun sounding headphone. The only reason I’m selling it is the weight, so that’s why I’m still thinking twice before I take the plunge with Valkyria.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #484 of 1,106
M•A Recordings - Hidden Treasures for a Desert Island

MA Recordings is a small independent label founded in 1988 by Todd Garfinkle, making outstanding minimalistically recorded productions since then.
The word that comes to mind when listening to their catalogue (mainly acoustic music, with a focus on world folklore), is 'natural'.

This is genuine food for the soul, and both the content and the recording technique align very well with the Valkyria tuning phylosophy. Listening to this music encourages to disengage the rational mind, relax and let the flow of emotions invade you.

You can find a free sampler download here: https://www.marecordings.com/ (click on the blue icon), and one of their best selling albums (Serà una Noche) on Qobuz. And what a moving and melancholically exciting album it is!

0884385929671_600.jpg

The cello on this album is as organic as it gets, the timbre is so deep and visceral, rich yet full of nuances. Meditative at times (Les Ombres), always enveloping with the trademark emphasis on ambience rendition ts that so effectively transports you in the venue.

cover.jpg

And here is some balcan scented solo guitar music, utterly intense and full of rippling suggestions from the very first notes.

cover.jpg
Great post!
Todd is a wonderful guy. I've met him many years ago at the Munich High End show.
He is very knowledgeable of many areas and great guy to chat with.

In addition to the wonderful, above recommendations:
UJCD01293.webp

Great piano recording. Also available on vinyl for those with analog playback (highly recommended).

Mar 19, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #485 of 1,106
Look forward to your impressions on Valkyria vs Pulsar. The Valkyria is probably the only headphone I’d still want to get, but still on the fence because of the weight. I previously thought perhaps I should get the Pulsar since it’s a bit lighter but as I read impressions from CanJam on Valkyria, I might as well get that instead.

The Abyss is a different animal, there are many variables to play around with to get the sound that I prefer. For me, fit and placement is key followed by the cable. Tubes and convolution filter are the final pieces of the puzzle. In terms of tonality, Abyss isn’t the best but it sure is a very fun sounding headphone. The only reason I’m selling it is the weight, so that’s why I’m still thinking twice before I take the plunge with Valkyria.
There is no denying that the Valkyria is a heavy piece of gear. Having said that, it is very well balanced and I went through some lengthy listening sessions with it, without even feeling it. It's possible I was so absorbed by the music that I even forgot having something on my head...

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #486 of 1,106
Speaking about not so well known record labels, at least for me, I recently found out about Audio Lab Record, and the way they recorded with extremely high quality sound. Check this post in High Fidelity magazine to learn about them.

I went for these three records, entitled Side by Side, where Kazuo Yashiro splits his performance on the Bösendorfer and Steinway pianos. The way Pulsar delivers the weight and tone richness it’s extraordinary and impossible to take them off until the very end of each album, intoxicating!

On the Side by Side, Vol3, the last song “Opus de funk” is about as good as Jazz gets IMHO.

The albums are hard to find, but are available on YouTube

Side by Side, Vol1
Side by Side, Vol 2
Side by Side, Vol 3

Happy listening!

47320A80-3DEF-4A13-AACB-560AF5561504.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #487 of 1,106
Speaking about not so well known record labels, at least for me, I recently found out about Audio Lab Record, and the way they recorded with extremely high quality sound. Check this post in High Fidelity magazine to learn about them.

I went for these three records, entitled Side by Side, where Kazuo Yashiro splits his performance on the Bösendorfer and Steinway pianos. The way Pulsar delivers the weight and tone richness it’s extraordinary and impossible to take them off until the very end of each album, intoxicating!

On the Side by Side, Vol3, the last song “Opus de funk” is about as good as Jazz gets IMHO.

Side by Side, Vol1
Side by Side, Vol 2
Side by Side, Vol 3

Happy listening!

Where do you find gems like that ??? :)

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #489 of 1,106
I think I need to make a confession. I promised myself that if I find the ” system” or the headphones that really make me want to spend time with music again I will stop looking and try to recover from “ audiophilia “. And here I am again. falling in to it again. Under the excuse “ I need to find something for the road so I don’t destroy my Valkyria , I have started looking for gear again. Rather than spned time with music I keep looking for something……. I just probably need to find a good safe case for my Valkyria to take to hotels and stop making excuses of not listening to music and being touched by it . It’s tough to let go of the temptation of looking for something that could be or could sound like something….. only in my head. You know what I mean. Many of you like @simorag, @nrbatista and others have inspired me and encouraged with experiencing the music. Thanks. Valuable lesson. :). So here is something to give back to you all. Something that has touched me last time I listed to music. :)
FC2D912D-5A7C-402A-A6E4-5B90E0CEE910.jpeg
great album my favorite Almost blue , riveting.
A0540D17-E39B-4E42-B44C-F41422373C8E.pngtrack: Leaving, will touch you deeply

1607A7E8-EFBB-41EC-99DA-451D5436FC86.png
enjoy. :)
There is also this, recorded in April, 1988 - two weeks before his death:
DACA8215-9EB3-45D9-8AAD-4F61233513CB.jpeg

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #491 of 1,106

Side by Side, Vol1
Side by Side, Vol 2
Side by Side, Vol 3

Happy listening!

Oh wow these are good! Even listening on Youtube with my Airpods Pro 2, the sound quality is great. I wish these are available as downloads though.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #492 of 1,106
The Abyss is an odd sounding headphone, and I have not been listening to it much after its burn-in. I don't think it fits my sonic preferences.
I had all iterations of the 1266 and it was kind of a love/hate relationship with that headphone. Eventually sold and haven't regretted that decision.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #494 of 1,106
Mimic.Audio just published a review about the Pulsar.
Thx for sharing

Btw if somebody is interested in trading his Pulsar vs my Solitaire P, I'd be down for that

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #495 of 1,106
Still hesitating between PULSAR and VALKYRIA. Where I am won't have the possibility to listen to them....

Wonder if the extra magic of the Valkyria is worth the extra cost and extra weight compared to the Pulsar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back