Spiralling towards end-game, recommendation on hi-end home setup, budget 1-2k$
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 19
I'd pretty much wait... I mean the 560, Jade, PM-1/2, the new Fostex headphone/LFF, HE-6 successor... The future is bright :]

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 19
Well, I have listened to the rs2i and the sr series. The rs2 was way better, though I like my 'phones to be good allrounders. The rs2 wasn't. It sounded great with some music and mediocre with other music. 
I really like Grado, but 2 things I just don't like: The comfort and the issue of 'synergization' with certain genres and tracks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 19
Well, I have listened to the rs2i and the sr series. The rs2 was way better, though I like my 'phones to be good allrounders. The rs2 wasn't. It sounded great with some music and mediocre with other music. 
I really like Grado, but 2 things I just don't like: The comfort and the issue of 'synergization' with certain genres and tracks.

There are some workarounds on the comfort, but you're right about the lack of versatility. After trying out the different flagships, I pretty much decided that I'd embrace genre (or in my case subgenre) specificity. So if it isn't the sound I want for {pick a classical subgenre}, I don't need it. The only exception is HD800, which really can't be beat for orchestral music, but I can't seem to justify owning it for a subgenre I don't listen to so much these days. This strategy doesn't work for portables, obviously.

Another new one that's coming out is the wooden ZMF, but you'll probably prefer something open.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 19
Actually, I'd prefer buying used with the prospect of not loosing too much resale value, as I'll (most likely) end up living with a room mate somewhere when I'll go to the university. Closed might become a necessity or at least preferable at some point.

I am not well wandered in the closed headphone segment. Any ideas what I could buy? I live in europe, which limits my choices (for example the alpha dog would be pretty expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back