Spiralling towards end-game, recommendation on hi-end home setup, budget 1-2k$
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

davidsh

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello there! I'll try to keep it short so feel free to ask further questions.

I own a crap-load of different semi hi-end/mid-fi-ish headphones as of now (see signature). I want to sell most of them and make my move up the ladder.

I am considering HD800, HE-560 and the new Jade 2. I almost jumped on a pair of senny HE60, though the price was too steep and the product too old IMO.

My priorities are comfort and sound, being equally important with the edge going to the sound. I like natural, transparent and realistic sound, but the signature should also be fairly neutral.
Therefore I really like Stax, but Stax presently don't seem to offer anything aside from the 009 that I'd want to buy, though I haven't tried all the newer lambdas.

I listen to pretty much anything, though I don't listen that much to classical music, at least not as much as I want to. I don't listen to electronic music either.

Mentioning some well known artists, I like stuff like Norah Jones, Dire Straits, Metallica, Slayer, Eric Clapton, Chris Rea, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Dave Brubeck, Rebecca Pidgeon, Alison Krauss etc.

For now, I'd like to build upon the gear I already got, at least not spending 1k$ on an amp or DAC or something.

Any suggestions for headphones I might have missed or any general recommendations?

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 19
I've been eyeing the 560 myself. It's a neutral headphone, natural, certainly realistic.
You can see which headphones I've owned and the [somewhat modest] gear I've tried.
Recently, I stuck to low/mid-fi [though solid] offerings since my HE-6 departure, but now that the 560 is on its way, I'll certainly be turning my face to HiFiMAN again [pre-ordered].

From what you wrote, I think our tastes and expectations are quite similar.

I was looking at the HD800 but I just don't think I want to risk investing into that. I've heard a few lower Sennys but I am not a big fan and am not particularly interested in it. Me not being a soundstage head and finding imaging, separation and such equally important.

I might be eyeing the Jade 2 for the future too, but electrostats [at least from what I've read in David's Review] are technical monsters that might lack euphony and viscerality and as someone who has no previous experience with these, HiFiMAN would probably be the one I'd trust with this again, much like with planars.

There's that HE-6 successor coming later this year [after the Jade], but I'll be putting my bets on the 560 for now. At least as a temporary endgame at worst, cause final endgame is much harder to find than it might seem. At least until there's that perfect headphone :p

Maybe this helped a bit :]

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 19
I like the phrasing 'temporary endgame' 
tongue.gif

If I fork out so much money, I just don't want to end up feeling I didn't get something significantly better than what I own now. That is my biggest concern.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 19
tongue.gif

If I fork out so much money, I just don't want to end up feeling I didn't get something significantly better than what I own now. That is my biggest concern.

Well you can wait a bit. Me and others will surely post reviews as soon as HFM starts shipping :]
If they don't turn out to be fabulous [which I sincerely doubt], there is always the Jade II and HE-6 successor, maybe even the Oppo PM-1 planarmagnetic headphones and more :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 19

tongue.gif

Well you can wait a bit. Me and others will surely post reviews as soon as HFM starts shipping :]
If they don't turn out to be fabulous [which I sincerely doubt], there is always the Jade II and HE-6 successor, maybe even the Oppo PM-1 planarmagnetic headphones and more :D

It seems to me it would be unwise not to wait, at least for the Jade, though an HE-6 succesor is of some interest too. I will still look at the used market and who knows, if the price is right and I know I can resell without much loss..

Still, I am interested in further suggestions of headphones and other opinions people out there might have on how to get the best SQ (with decent comfort) for a grand or 2.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 19
hello, i recently went through the same ordeal, and with the same budget, after much searching and questions i finally decided on the Beyerdynamic T1 AND BURSON SOLOIST i cant speak highly enough for the set up i used to run an RS1i w headroom ultra desktop amp/dac that was nice, but!! this new set up is way heads above in all aspects got it all from headroom for less than 2 grand. you wont be sorry.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 19
  hello, i recently went through the same ordeal, and with the same budget, after much searching and questions i finally decided on the Beyerdynamic T1 AND BURSON SOLOIST i cant speak highly enough for the set up i used to run an RS1i w headroom ultra desktop amp/dac that was nice, but!! this new set up is way heads above in all aspects got it all from headroom for less than 2 grand. you wont be sorry.

Thank you, though I have my reservations towards T1, as I owned the dt880 and found it sluggish, shrill, cold and analytic sounding with grainy treble. That's a long time ago, though. I also tried the T1 briefly but I can't conclude much based on that

I don't like that the T1 doesn't measure too well, it doesn't seem like a full fledged flasghip product to me, unlike the sorts of hd800, 009, HE60, lcd3, Jade etc.

I might be wrong.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 19
  Thank you, though I have my reservations towards T1, as I owned the dt880 and found it sluggish, shrill, cold and analytic sounding with grainy treble. That's a long time ago, though. I also tried the T1 briefly but I can't conclude much based on that

I don't like that the T1 doesn't measure too well, it doesn't seem like a full fledged flasghip product to me, unlike the sorts of hd800, 009, HE60, lcd3, Jade etc.

I might be wrong.

No most dynamic headphones seem to struggle in the treble, it is either too smooth or too harsh. T1, HD800, K812,... all privy to the same treble problems.
That's where most planars and electrostats excel at and a big reason why I am returning to them :D
But there are probably some dynamics that do it right, though it's probably really difficult. Coil limitations, maybe?

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 19

No most dynamic headphones seem to struggle in the treble, it is either too smooth or too harsh. T1, HD800, K812,... all privy to the same treble problems.
That's where most planars and electrostats excel at and a big reason why I am returning to them :D
But there are probably some dynamics that do it right, though it's probably really difficult. Coil limitations, maybe?

I am definitely aware of the treble issues of most dynamics, which many 'stats don't have. Sorrily, the current offerings don't seem to appeal to me with its bright signature, though I'd love a demo of the 407/507/esp950. I'd prefer not to buy the old stuff.. cuz it's too old and the prices are pretty inflated. As you see, I own sigma, lambda signature and 307, though the signature is disassembled presently.

The 307 is an example of 'stat treble not done right.

I have high hopes for the Jade 2.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 19
  I am definitely aware of the treble issues of most dynamics, which many 'stats don't have. Sorrily, the current offerings don't seem to appeal to me with its bright signature, though I'd love a demo of the 407/507/esp950. I'd prefer not to buy the old stuff.. cuz it's too old and the prices are pretty inflated. As you see, I own sigma, lambda signature and 307, though the signature is disassembled presently.

The 307 is an example of 'stat treble not done right.

I have high hopes for the Jade 2.

So do I, though I really hope HFM will have an amplifier for it as well.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 19
If they don't make it compatible with Stax amps, though, they could just as well shoot themselves in both knees with a nail gun. 

Just for the sake of it, many people like the hd800 with stuff like the crack, right? I can't help think the high output impedance must loosen up the bass significantly, making hd800 more bassy and less analytic. I kinda don't really like that approach. I tend to think the impedance doubling in the bass must be rather significant with a good portion of amps. The hd800 is known to be picky about amps after all.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 19
  If they don't make it compatible with Stax amps, though, they could just as well shoot themselves in both knees with a nail gun. 

Just for the sake of it, many people like the hd800 with stuff like the crack, right? I can't help think the high output impedance must loosen up the bass significantly, making hd800 more bassy and less analytic. I kinda don't really like that approach. I tend to think the impedance doubling in the bass must be rather significant with a good portion of amps. The hd800 is known to be picky about amps after all.

Yeah, a good example would be the MStage, an amp recommended as the very minimum to make the HD800 sound like an HD800.
Output impedance? 10 or 15 ohms, which is still not that high but it does suggest that 800 are too analytic or bright by default...
I am not the right guy to talk Sennheiser though... My first and only real experience with them was their "first true 5 drivers per channel" headphone... I believe the HD800 is amazing by all accounts but I've already pledged my allegiance to other brands and funds are not thick enough to try every other headphone there is :p 

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 19
I think I'll aim at going to the 'local' meet in the autumn, along with other possible meets and try some more stuff for myself, though I tend to find meet impressions useless at worst. Could just host one myself 
biggrin.gif

Would probs not be a good idea, need a pretty large room and tables and stuff for that... I could go talk to the school principal, the school does host a number of LANs after all 
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 19
Bump, I suppose 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 19
This might come as an odd comment since you seem to want something "Stax-like" but considering what you listen to, Grados seem like they'd be a good fit. Ever try the PS-1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back