Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #91 of 265
Do you think Spiral Ears did the right thing by terminating ownership transfer?
How would have managed things differently?
How do you feel about buying CIEMs you can’t demo nor resell?
Do you agree with Spiral Ear decision to not produce demos?

You know my position. Would love to hear your thoughts.
1. Is it a right thing to terminate ownership transfer?
It's an understandable position. When it takes you two month to complete an order, spending your time working on reshelling is not an option.

2. How you you manage things differently?
Train more apprentice, but then, this should have been done years ago, and it's not in your control how many people want to work in your industry. Also, there's the fear of trade secret, so apprenticeship can be quite a conundrum and usually only involves family member. There's no real solution to this either.

3. How do you feel about buying CIEM I can't demo or resell.
Full disclosure, I paid a full $3k5 for my pair and this is what I thought when I made the jump of faith, skip to the last line if you don't want to follow my train of thought.

I'm the kind of person who use their stuffs until they're lost or broken. I have zero thought of reselling when I buy something. To me, it's always, is the perceived value worth the pricetag.
The biggest concern I had is whether or not that item can make me content and not looking for an upgrade, because for someone who doesn't like to resell stuff, buying mid-tier thing is a waste of money because of the urge to upgrade later on.

I initially order SE5U because of the above reason, as it was the top reviewed CIEM, I don't have a local store nor could I take time off to go demo stuffs, so I could only rely on review. Just a couple days after my impression was received, SE6 was announced. And I thought:

"shiet, if I skip the SE6 now and later on it turn out to be amazing, I will upgrade, but on the same chance SE6 is just meh, it would still be pretty good compare to SE5U since it's from the same shop with the same kind of signature, so it's a 3k5-1k6 ~ $2000 gamble. Beside, if the man was easy to be content with his product or simply after profits, he could have released SE6 years ago, took him pretty long to arrive at something he thought worthy of an upgrade to SE5U. So I will give him the confidence and let his years of R&D surface, it's simply respect for a recognized artist. I gambled $2000 on the art of this man"

4. On not producing demo.
No comment on this, since he did try to produce demo, but he deemed it not a good representation of the custom, so he scuttled that experiment. It's his call. Also, he seems busy enough (the initial estimate of SE6 is 5-6 weeks, turned out to be a full 8+ week) he should just do what's most important to him. Honestly, he's fine with the current number of order, not wanting it to increase, then there's no point making demo.

His shop is similar to the kind of restaurant that has 7 seat and can only take like 21-28 customers per night and can't serve more because there's not enough ingredient that meets the shop's standard.

Plus the chef has a family to take care of. He works to make a living he's contented with, not to serve you plebs. *smirk*
-------------------

People would think that because I threw $3500 to the wind, I am compelled to give a good review to make me look not foolish. That is just silly. I prefer to be corrected than to be right.

If it's meh, I would say it's meh and give it a display spot on my shelf instead of using it. I have several things that are "one of a kind failure of successful brands" on that shelf, always a good source of story and R&D lessons.

I haven't joined Head-fi for long and I have been called or implied to be insane since this SE bashing is a thing. Really, if it's just one dissing post and leave, I could understand, but there's just a certain person or number of people who keep coming back and bashing SE at every turn. If wasn't insane before, I certainly insane now, simply out of spite. So in hindsight more satisfaction to buy SE6 and become fully insane.

Sanity is for the weak. Just leave before experience a Gellar field failure.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #92 of 265
Hum, since I seem to be the local SE fanboy here I will give my position.

By no means do I think Spiral Ear is perfect. Communication is not their strength. However, I do respect them more than most brands as :
  • They put out one product every 5 years, which for the last two was, to my taste, at the top of the game, and remained so despite the competition rolling out 26 drivers electrostat hybrids with pressure valves
  • Gregorz is straight forward and honest
  • They don't communicate at all and stay popular by the sheer quality of their products
  • That's it
Is the absence of demo and no resell a bummer. Yes and no. I bought the VE8 based on the demo and they sound nothing alike. I really disliked many demos and liked the actual custom. So deciding it not do demos seems quite reasonable.

No reshell? Well if you don't have the resources, it makes sense. Today almost nobody does it. I understand it is annoying to not do it, then do it, then not do it.

All in all, I think customs are somethings you normally buy once and turn off head-fi for 5 years, we are just crazy to want to change every 6 months.

So no not perfect at all. But still better than most.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #93 of 265
Items that are above $2000 in value has to go through formal import entry... I.e delay.
damn, this is karma for lashing out in earlier post I guess..
20181023_121523.jpg

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #94 of 265
Items that are above $2000 in value has to go through formal import entry... I.e delay.
damn, this is karma for lashing out in earlier post I guess..

Reminds me of an issue I had when I had a package delivered at the office, customs thought the Company was purchasing the gear - not me - and asked for the registration number of the company.
I had to provide proof that I was the buyer not the company. Now I don't get item delivered at the office...
Good luck!

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #95 of 265
@vegasf1, the man who “seems jealous of people with money” will try to be clearer to the man who seems to think “everybody hates Spiral Ear and it's so unfair.”

1) I like Spiral Ear products. The SE5u is by far the best earphone I have. What I don’t like is how they treat their customers.

2) I could or could not afford the SE6 - it’s not the point. The point is: is it okay to terminate ownership transfer when you know it now makes it impossible for your current customers to resell their headphones?

3) To the best of my knowledge, the brands you mentioned can be reshelled by 3rd-parties because they’re in acrylic. Therefore, they can be resold. Spiral ears CIEMs apparently cannot be reshelled by anyone esle because they’re in silicone (if I am wrong, please let me know!). So no, Spiral Ear is not like other companies. Moreover, it's not because other companies do certain things that it makes them okay.

4) Thanks for sharing your life’s anecdotes and money lessons - all duly noted - and now I propose we go back to less self-centered topics, such as:

Do you think Spiral Ears did the right thing by terminating ownership transfer?
How would have managed things differently?
How do you feel about buying CIEMs you can’t demo nor resell?
Do you agree with Spiral Ear decision to not produce demos?

You know my position. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Silicone IEMs can be reshelled to acrylic. A friend of mine did that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #98 of 265
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #99 of 265
Silicone IEMs can be reshelled to acrylic. A friend of mine did that.

Spiral Ear is highly discouraging that, and I would never take the chance of messing up with the entire frequency response.
Some expensive after market cable already screw up the SE5 signature, so an acrylic reshell... :triportsad:

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #100 of 265
Spiral Ear is highly discouraging that, and I would never take the chance of messing up with the entire frequency response.
Some expensive after market cable already screw up the SE5 signature, so an acrylic reshell... :triportsad:
Well, my friend got his SE-5 reshelled, and the sound is still superb. Maybe it's better with silicone, but I didn't notice any obvious flaws with its sound. (We have similar ear shapes so I could try it)

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #102 of 265
I just went through a few test songs with this baby and I'm ready to quit head fi for 5 years.
J/k, let me listen some more beforewriting a review.....

Same color as @Mimouille or am I wrong?

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #104 of 265
I just went through a few test songs with this baby and I'm ready to quit head fi for 5 years.

J/k, let me listen some more beforewriting a review.....

SE6 is amazing!! As Baran said, after market cables degrade the sound! I tried several ones and they all kind of break the balance of tonality.
I am thinking about selling my other BA monitors and after market cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back