Spider-Man 3 anyone watch it yet?
May 5, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 65
what was the deal with the HORRIBLE extra acting in this movie? was that on purpose?

on the plus side, the sand effects and the venom constume looked dead on.

May 5, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #17 of 65
x2 what Jubei said

Give me Batman Begins and Superman Returns on style and character development without the overt, over-the-top melodrama. After the first two Spidey films, I had high hopes for this one. It was a letdown, but mostly enjoyable nonetheless. Sandman was well done and it's too bad that he wasn't the central villain.

May 5, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning to watch it this Friday, just want to ask, by any chance, anyone already watched it?

I think the movie actually came out already, how do you guys feel about the movie?

It receive a 7.1 out of 10 on the rotten tomato, so I guess is pretty good. From the reviews, seem like the storyline in this movie is really compacted.

Releaselog

May 5, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 65
I agree with everything said here. I also wish venom had been involved more. Could have been due to budget constraints. Maybe all the money went into sandman's scenes.

and Topher Grace for eddie brock? I was expecting more of a Howie Long type.

May 5, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 65
Saw it toady.

Huge disappointnet when compared to the previous 2 movies in the series. They really 'jumped the shark' with this one.

A few comments (WARNING, possible spoilers):

The Good:
Venom CGI Looked really good.

Sandman CGI looked really good.

Bruce Campbell is awesome. He doesn't even have to act funny to make me laugh.

Thomas Church was cast very well as the Sandman.

The Bad:
Once again, Kirsten Dunst failed to prove to me that she was the proper person to play the role of Mary Jane. Horrible miscast.

Topher Grace (God it even pains me to type his name) was also a horrible miscast as Eddie Brock.

The movie bit off way more than it could chew. They tried to cram 3 movies worth of storyline into 1 movie, and as such it felt rushed and fell flat. Oh well, I suppose not everyone can pull a 'Peter Jackson'.

From a comic book geeks point of view: The origin of the new black suit was changed and glazed over way too much. Sandman & Venom vs Goblin and Spiderman was (for lack of a better word) 'gay'. The Venom Story was much too short. They introduce the Venom villian, and killed him off in the same movie. He got about, what? - 3 minutes total screen time. They needed to make a part 4 that was dedicated to the Venom storyline, and origin of the black suit.

The Ugly:

What the hell was this 'cabaret' type crap they were trying to do with Mary Jane singing? And what the hell was with the singing and dancing 'routine'? If I wanted to see this kind of crap I would go see an 'off-off' broadway play of Guys and Dolls. *vomit*

The way they handled Peter Parker's 'personality change' as a result of wearing the symbiotic suit was horrible. Granted, I got a chuckle out of a few of the gags, but this type of comedy seemed so out of place with the pace of this movie, and the previous 2 movies in the series.

Like most other Comic Book to Movie Adaptations these days, this movie tried to satisfy and appeal to both the Comic Book geeks, and the general populace and fails on both fronts. The comic book geek in me says "I wish they would have taken a hint from Sin City, and stayed true to the Comic Book". But I know that will never happen, as they need to make a movie that will generate maximum dollars, and if that means 'dumbing it down' for Joe Sixpack, and the general populace, then so be it. To hell with staying true to the original (and consequently much better) story.

Venom was about as scary as "Snuggles" the fabric softener Teddy Bear.

They blew it with this one, in a BIG way. They did more wrong then they did right. I can only hope that they stop here. I don't know If I could handle a part 4. Completely forgettable. Maybe worth a rental if you are bored one night. Sad, really.

May 5, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 65
I saw it last night. I was disappointed to say the least, I almost walked out on more than one occasion.

The love story was soooo tedious! There were quite a few times I just wanted mary jane to die. Gwen Stacey was hot, and I wanted peter to just choose her.

There was absolutely no need for MJ's singing at any point of the movie, and even less of a need for that stupid dancing scene.

Apparently spiderman was an emo kid... that part of the movie was dumb.

Humor was garbage.

As usual... Maguire's acting succccccked. Anytime he has to cry I think he is constipated. While watching the movie, I realized that Topher Grace could have been a much better Peter Parker.

Probably the thing that i disliked the most was how little Venom was actually in the movie, it felt like only about ten minutes. And I think there was absolutely no need for sandman to be in the movie, except for that last little Two vs Two scene.

I agree with Imilhan that they tried to pull a 'Peter Jackson'... too much stuff in one movie.

All that said, I am trying to stay positive about this movie (although it is hard) as I looked forward to it so much. I was expecting it to get better the more I thought about it, (thats what happened with X-Men 3 for me) but it has been the total opposite.

Still, go see it, and make your own opinion, but I will suggest to go on a popcorn run when they go to the jazz club...

May 5, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 65
There's a great review in the current -New Yorker-. Among the clever observations: after the (excellent) Sandman transformation scene you might as well get up and leave.

May 6, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #25 of 65
Pretty much agree with lmilhan. The movie seemed very rushed and it probably needed to be closer to 3.5 hours. There were a few moments where scenes didn't make sense mostly because it was rushed. I liked a lot of the action, but I gave this movie the old eye roll at least 20 times. Without giving anything away, there is a certain sad scene near the end that had me in tears- not because it was sad, but because the climax of the movie was so Batman and Robin that I couldn't stop laughing.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as Fantastic Four, but this one is a far cry from the previous 2 movies- both of which I thought were pretty good, with a nice balance of super hero movie and humor.

May 6, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #26 of 65
Glad I read this thread before I was able to see it. I tried on Friday, but every show up till 11:00 that night were sold out, so I was going to try tomorrow. Sounds exactly like X Men 3. Way too much stuff for one movie. Of course, the fact they were recycling a villain (Goblin) should have been some kind of indicator. Venom was the main reason I was planning to see this one, and from the sound of things that would have been a waste of time. Oh, and Bruce Campbell would have been a close second reason. Oh well.
frown.gif
Sounds like they are making their money back without my help anyway.

Here's hoping 28 Weeks Later doesn't disappoint next week.
icon10.gif

May 6, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #27 of 65
It's pretty ordinary. The action's great, but the story's terrible. Oh well, I suspected as much, I'm getting very sick of Hollywood movies!

May 7, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 65
Saw it last night and I'm not a fan of Hollywood movies per se. Most movies that I prefer are independant and foreign films.

That said, I have to say that it was excellent. I'm suprised by the mediocre reviews from the critics. This is the best installment of the triliogy.

It was so well cast and the villans were amazing. I was not too impressed with the Green Goblin in the the first movie. Dr. Octopus was good in the second movie but the actor who played him was good but not really too impressive. I loved Spiderman 2 BTW but not too crazy about Spiderman 1.

Spiderman 3 is more well rounded. The villans were superb and by far, the best. Far more interesting than the ones in the previous installments. Kirsten Dunst and all the other cast members were great and the characters shows more complexity in their personalities. Dunst is a superb actress and one of the greatest talants out there. This proved to be a film that is more than just a one dimensional action flick.

I loved how the relationship of Peter and Mary Jane was more realistic. It wasn't just a sappy love story. They had real personal problems too of drifting apart just like how many couples do. And I loved how they were portrayed as young New Yorkers, which kinda reminded me a little bit of the Sex in the City tv show.

This is the best super hero movie so far.

May 7, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 65
** SPOILERS **

Saw it last night and thought it was okay. Fun, but nothing close to what the first two were (I thought the second was the best).

As others have said, the movie was too rushed and there wasn't enough time dedicated to character development. They could've done a much better movie if they had left Sandman out entirely and focused only on the Venom storyline. Venom was such a big part of the comic, and they really glossed over his/its origins. Very disappointing.

I enjoyed the Peter/Harry dynamic. That was nicely done. But again, the transformation of Harry from enemy to friend back to enemy and finally to friend was extremely rushed.

The jazz club scene was absolutely RIDICULOUS. My girlfriend asked, "When did this become Fosse (B'way show)?" It was painful to watch. We didn't really need to see MJ sing that many times either.

I wonder how the movie did at screenings because every time Peter cried, the audience at my theater broke out in hysterical laughter. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent of those scenes.

By itself, it was an alright flick. But as the end of the trilogy, and compared to its predecessors, it was a very big letdown.

May 7, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 65
To think Venom died from that pumpkin bomb at the end is just ridiculous. If they want to keep the Spiderman saga going, Venom cannot die. If it's anything like the comics, Venom definitely got away, either before the explosion or after it. Either way, the symbiote would have taken the entire impact, leaving Eddie Brock unharmed. What the movie showed you was only a bit of remnance from the symbiote and there's no proof that Venom died. The Symbiote does everything it possibly can to protect it's host, and one little bomb won't kill it.

What I found most dissappointing with the movie was that Eddie Brock/Venom spoke in the 1st person singular (I). Everyone knows Venom speaks of himself in the 1st person plural (We). Also, Peter Parker and Eddie Brock do not need clothes when joined with the Venom symbiote. Another is why did Venom have such a wimpy jaw and tongue? And why was Topher Grace VENOM!?!?!? Yea, he actually played a decent role, but Eddie Brock is supposed to be big... Venom is like, 10 feet tall and huge. =[

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw it toady.

Huge disappointnet when compared to the previous 2 movies in the series. They really 'jumped the shark' with this one.

A few comments (WARNING, possible spoilers):

The Good:
Venom CGI Looked really good.

Sandman CGI looked really good.

Bruce Campbell is awesome. He doesn't even have to act funny to make me laugh.

Thomas Church was cast very well as the Sandman.

The Bad:
Once again, Kirsten Dunst failed to prove to me that she was the proper person to play the role of Mary Jane. Horrible miscast.

Topher Grace (God it even pains me to type his name) was also a horrible miscast as Eddie Brock.

The movie bit off way more than it could chew. They tried to cram 3 movies worth of storyline into 1 movie, and as such it felt rushed and fell flat. Oh well, I suppose not everyone can pull a 'Peter Jackson'.

From a comic book geeks point of view: The origin of the new black suit was changed and glazed over way too much. Sandman & Venom vs Goblin and Spiderman was (for lack of a better word) 'gay'. The Venom Story was much too short. They introduce the Venom villian, and killed him off in the same movie. He got about, what? - 3 minutes total screen time. They needed to make a part 4 that was dedicated to the Venom storyline, and origin of the black suit.

The Ugly:

What the hell was this 'cabaret' type crap they were trying to do with Mary Jane singing? And what the hell was with the singing and dancing 'routine'? If I wanted to see this kind of crap I would go see an 'off-off' broadway play of Guys and Dolls. *vomit*

The way they handled Peter Parker's 'personality change' as a result of wearing the symbiotic suit was horrible. Granted, I got a chuckle out of a few of the gags, but this type of comedy seemed so out of place with the pace of this movie, and the previous 2 movies in the series.

Like most other Comic Book to Movie Adaptations these days, this movie tried to satisfy and appeal to both the Comic Book geeks, and the general populace and fails on both fronts. The comic book geek in me says "I wish they would have taken a hint from Sin City, and stayed true to the Comic Book". But I know that will never happen, as they need to make a movie that will generate maximum dollars, and if that means 'dumbing it down' for Joe Sixpack, and the general populace, then so be it. To hell with staying true to the original (and consequently much better) story.

Venom was about as scary as "Snuggles" the fabric softener Teddy Bear.

They blew it with this one, in a BIG way. They did more wrong then they did right. I can only hope that they stop here. I don't know If I could handle a part 4. Completely forgettable. Maybe worth a rental if you are bored one night. Sad, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back